When do you stop pumping?

BubblesBump

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Little one is 3 weeks old today. I've recently started pumping to start a stash, and increase milk supply. My question is how do I know when to stop pumping? About 10 minutes after I start pumping, I notice no more milk coming out. So I just go to the next breast. Today I was wondering if I should keep going on for a few more minutes after milk has stopped coming out. Does it make a difference? Will more come out after a few minutes? Will it "help" my supply?

Thanks in advance everyone!

My LC said to increase supply keep pumping even after it stops coming out for a few extra minutes because it will tell your body it needs to make more. My lo is 7 weeks and I just pump for ten as mine about stops coming out after that amount of time. I'm not trying to make anymore though I have an oversupply.

If you're not trying to increase supply, just pump until you've removed the amount that you want :flower:

Edit: oh sorry, I misread your original post. Thought you said you were NOT pumping to increase supply. Since you are, you should pump a few minutes past empty.

If you don't want to increase supply, stop when you get the milk you need and/or the milk stops flowing.

If you want to increase supply, keep pumping. You either increase supply, or bring on a second let down, depending on how full your breasts are.

I have a double electric pump and I pump 20 mins a session- 5 times a day. I express feed my lo so I need a good supply and because I started from her birth I get 5-6 oz a session for a total of around 30 oz per day. I go 20 mins b/c I get a 2nd let down right around 17 mins like clockwork. You won't need that much since you plan to BF too but everyone is different so you'll have to try different times to see what works for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgess422
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->