when don't you want your LO born?

spicyorange

Reaction score
just wondering if there are certain months people are avoiding TTC because of babys due date?
i want to avoid an august baby becasue theres evidence that children who are the youngest in their school year are disadvantaged - i dont know what people think about that? also christmas doesnt seem a great time to have a baby (my bday is jan 2nd so i know!) - ideally id like sep/oct/nov but i dont know if once iv started ttc if id miss out a month or not... just wondering what others think and your plans?

spicyorange i dont know where you are in scotland but do the term/ages for school not differ? Therfore being Jan/Feb? I am not sure myself but i thought I would put that out there! I was an august baby and the youngest in the class were Jan babies.

Its not something I'd consider tbh, babies come when they want really ;)

As a teacher in my class two of my highest ability children are July babies. It really isn't down to the time in the year in which they are born, it is down to the effort that the parents make before they start school and whilst they are in school.

Having said that I too would want to avoid a summer born baby simply because they go to school at a younger age and I would have less time with them at home!!! I don't think I would be able to stop trying once I have started though. My TTC month is late March and I would have to stop around September-December to prevent a summer birth....if I haven't conceived by September there is no way I am stopping trying!!

I don't want a baby around Christmas as I think it's nice to spread out events in the year, and they might not like having their birthday close to Christmas. Asides from that, it happens when it happens.

I'm an August baby and was the youngest in my class but personally never suffered for it :flower:

My daughter is Nov so 6 weeks before xmas and a nightmare to buy for as being so close to xmas...

So i wouldnt mind avoiding the run up to xmas or just after new year! But then like LouOscar said, once i start trying i wouldnt stop...

But to be fair any month is good x

We'll try and avoid Christmas/New Year - my brother was a Christmas baby and it peed him off no end as a child! I'd like our LOs to be June babies like me and hubby, but I don't think that'll happen, not for the first at least.

We're not so bothered about school age etc - me and hubby are both end-of-June babies who started school shortly after turning 4, and we did well at school. I was the youngest in my class by a whole year, and I have ended up with good exam results, a first class degree, and a PhD. Age is a factor, but it's not the be all and end all, and I think there are more important things that will determine success academically. That said, if we had a late-summer baby who didn't seem ready for school at the standard age for starting, we'd see if we could hold them back 6 months or a year to give them more time.

There are no other times we're aiming to avoid, really, and if we take ages TTC we'll stop being so fussy ;)

no September or May babies because I already have babies born in those months, I'm not sure why, but I'd really like a mid November or December baby, despite the huge holiday rush here in the states during that time with Thanksgiving and Christmas, it might actually work out for us better that way because we do not live close to our families, they are a 6 hr drive away from us, but we always make the drive to see them for the holidays, so while there we could have a small family party as well

Dad has her birthday first week of January and it's a huge pain, but we just took what we could get at the time! I'd definitely try to avoid December and January though. We initially planned to have babies born earlier in the school year because we feel it's better for them to be older. Mainly due to DH being a late developer and born in June. He hated that. I have read somewhere that older in the year kids have more of an advantage in sports.

On saying that, at this point I am getting desperate so I would take Xmas day or late august if I got to have another!!! I just want a baby.

In scotland the youngest kids are February, my birthday is feb 25th so I was the second youngest in the year..I did pretty well at school. I like to think ill know when my children are ready for school, each child is so different some are ready at 4 some defiantly are not! I think it's so silly in England there are kids who have just turned 4 going to school, that's so young they should be at home!

Annnnnyyywwwaaay....back to the initial question, I had it planned exactly when I wanted to get pregnant (May) and when I wanted to have baby (February), mostly because I didn't want to be reallly pregnant in summer as I can't cope with heat. However my husband said that he wanted to be married 3 years before we were parents, which would have baby due Sept 2015, so I am now going completely against what I said to have a baby quicker! And now I think about it the weather is pretty bad in winter and so I don't really want a mad dash to the hospital in around 5 inches of snow!!

^^ yep I was in the middle of a mad panic at the end of March last year when we had that snow as my dd was due April 5th! I was so scared of snow blocking me in at home and not being able to get to hospital! But that was March so I don't think you can always plan around weather lol!

I will be ttc from January but will miss out March or April (depending on my cycle length and dates by then) if not already pregnant as my df is a chef and his boss would make his life hell if he had 2 weeks paternity off over Christmas! When dd was due just after Easter it was hard enough with his work! That's the only reason though.

Saying that though once we have started ttc I don't know if I would be able to stop for a month as others have said!

I honestly have no preference at all as far as birth month. My birthday is December 20th, and I have loved it all my life. I got twice as many gifts at Christmastime, always had a huge party because we were out of school for the holidays, and my mom always made a point to make it really special. I also always got a "little sister" gift on my sister's birthday in August. She was the youngest in her class but one of the best performing, btw.

When I have that sweet LO in my arms I won't care what month, year, or day it is!

I don't think I have a preference. I've never really thought about the school year aspect of it - if I thought they were too young, I'd keep them back another year.

I suppose if I have to use any criteria, I'd say I don't want to be heavily pregnant in the middle of summer. So not a July/August/September baby then. :haha:

I think I agree with most of the people above and would like to stay away from Christmas, and we also know we will not try for a Taurus baby (no offense to any Tauruses out there!) Only because OH and I have difficult relationships with our Taurus direct relatives. Ideally we want an Aries and a Virgo, one of each of our signs but we will take a healthy pregnancy and baby any time!

thanks for the comment re: august - i live in Edinburgh but im english so im used to the english system of august 31st cut off for 1st sept start and i hant got my head round schooling here very well yet - it seems that things are a bit more flexable here so maybe school age doesnt matter so much - i just want to give my kid every advantage. still my dads birthday is christmas day and mine is jan 2nd so i know that xmas birthdats can be a bit rubbish but iv never known any different so i guess its not so bad!i think once we start TTC that will be it and we will be happy with what we get

Well i get sept and nov babies already so would like a spring/summer baby next but i'm not going to specfically avoid months for it to happen because at the end of the day i just want another baby.

and it doesn't mean your baby will be thw worst in the class just because they are younger/born end of academic year the study shows there is a higher likely hood because their brains are x amount of months less developed than those at the begining of the year. you put in the graft though then they will be ok.

my sister is an august child and she came away from school with 11 GCSE's all A* and A's and is now a neruological peadiactric nurse

We are WTT until December. I was a late May baby and while I did well at school, it frustrated me as I got older; I had to rely on people to drive me everywhere (I couldn't start learning until most already had their licence), missed out on voting for the first time with all my schoolmates as I was too young by 11 days, couldn't go to the pub with my friends because I didn't have ID etc. It wasn't a massive inconvenience but I've always liked the idea of having a baby between September and April.

Christmas doesn't bother me at all to be honest. My Mum's birthday is on Boxing Day and we've always made the effort to make it special; she used to love getting twice as many gifts (or a more expensive one!) and there's always the option to have a party at another time in the year to spread the fun out ;)

Like others have said though, I probably won't stop TTC once I start, and any birthday has it's perks. Being late in the school year often means your birthday falls on a Bank Holiday Weekend or during the summer holidays, which is awesome! :)

as long as my baby isnt an aries, gemini or a leo...I'm fine. ;P

No offense to anyone of those signs. Its just that, my husband is an aries-and I dont want another one. and every gemini I know is moody with multiple personalities, and every leo is know is, well,a leo. lol Loud, pushy, and sort of a know it all.

Im a capricorn, so I want a child with a sign that Im more compatible with. (of course I know, no matter what sign my baby is we will have our ups and downs in life, nobody is perfect, and I will love it to pieces no matter what.)

Myangel - I'm a Gemini and yeah, I can be a mood-swingy cow :p but my mum is Capricorn and we get on like a house on fire. I can honestly say that, apart from my husband (a Pisces, by the way), she's the person in my life that I'm most compatible with. I have a very good relationship with my mum and we both know when we need a bit of company, and also when we need space, and have never fallen out.

Wouldn't read too much into star signs to be honest, but saying that, I've had nothing but bad experiences with Sagittarius people...coincidence maybe?

No preference - just want a baby asap haha! I suppose it would be better for baby not to be due in the depths of winter just because of where we live and distance from hospital, would rather not be trying to get to hospital whilst in labour and tons of snow on the lane!xx

I think the perfect month for our baby to be born would be April /May / June... 1/2 way through the year so a nice gap between holidays and occasions, good age for school, nice weather for their birthday parties in later years plus I would get my 6 months maternity off in the summer months....:happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->