When/how do milk feeds become solid feeds?

vanessa

Reaction score
I am in the VERY early stages of introducing solids, so just a couple of mouthfulls of baby rice once a day at the moment. Was just wondering how you all replaced milk feeds, or did you? Is it a matter of offering solids between milk feeds and following baby's lead? Its all a bit new to me!
For instance, do you start offering solids when baby cries with hunger at some stage, or do you offer milk feeds still then and solids at other times.
Sorry if these are stupid questions!

You won't replace her milk feeds with solids for a long while yet hun. Grace still has 3, sometimes 4 7oz bottles a day as well as meals. I gave milk mainly but say I was due to give her a bottle at 4pm I would give her a bit of baby rice before hand and then give her the regular bottle, that way she wasn't going hungry. Then when she got a taste for it she would have more rice and less milk. When they go onto proper solids tehy tend to drop a feed as they don't need both but you will still need to keep giving milk for a while, although as weaning gets more established you'll find you LO will decide for themselves what feed to to drop

At first the solids are really just to get them used to tasting something different and getting used to the different consistencies in their mouths, and won't be enough to fill them up (Sam wasn't on 3 decent-sized meals a day until he was about 6 1/2 months old). Milk is still their main source of nutrition when they first start off, so if she's crying with hunger give her milk, and try little tastes of solids when she's not desperately hungry. I used to get Sam up and give him his first milk feed, then about an hour or an hour and a half later give him a bit of breakfast - so he wasn't still completely full from his milk but he wasn't really hungry and wanting milk either.

I agree with bexy that you'll probably find as you introduce more and more solids that she'll gradually start having less milk (sorry if that didn't make much sense...I'm half asleep tonight :lol:) x

zane started on a full bowl of rice from the first time he tried it he just loved the stuff. it took about 3 months for zane to replace a feed from bottle to food so it does take time but they do it themselfs when they r ready

Hannah is nearly 6 months and is just starting to replace her 1130am feed with solids instead of milk. She has been on solids for a month now. As she is under 6 months the milk is still her main source of nutrition so I offer the milk first then solids if she is still hungry.
I am gradually reducing the milk by maybe an ounce every couple of days so that she takes more solids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->