When Is it ok...

Dizzy321

very proud mammy to 3!
Reaction score
When is it ok to give children low fat products if at all? My 3 year old (next month) son has toast for his supper, but tonight I realised I ran out of the bread (50/50) he usually has, & he had extra light flora on too because I am on a diet....we usually have lurpak butter but with my health kick I dont buy it anymore, but I am thinking I will buy some for Jack cause god knows what that extra light flora has in :dohh: & I am paranoid he wont be getting enough fats he needs or thats its no good for him (even though he does have a very varied balanced diet)
Is it better to give them full fat versions of everything (Iam guessing so?) x

I'm sure he's fine. It's actually recommended here that at age 2 they drop from whole milk to 2% or 1% and all low fat dairy. They don't say anything about other things, but I'm sure it's fine.

MY HV said no low fat before 5 years. Personally I don't know why anyone would have low fat products, they all taste a bit crap lol! Also much of the micro-nutrition of milk in is the fat and it's not like 4% is high anyway. I'd always rather give my family natural products. Byron gets all his fat from milk and occasional butter and cheese. We cook all his foods at home so nothing is added.

MY HV said no low fat before 5 years. Personally I don't know why anyone would have low fat products, they all taste a bit crap lol! Also much of the micro-nutrition of milk in is the fat and it's not like 4% is high anyway. I'd always rather give my family natural products. Byron gets all his fat from milk and occasional butter and cheese. We cook all his foods at home so nothing is added.

You would by low fat products if you were my size trust me!! lol. He has full fat fromage frais, cheese, milk. I do give my family natural products & cook all our foods at home so know exactally whats added, I was just wondering about the low fat spread really, but I am sure he is fine as he has a good diet :D

I'm sure he's fine. It's actually recommended here that at age 2 they drop from whole milk to 2% or 1% and all low fat dairy. They don't say anything about other things, but I'm sure it's fine.

Thanks, yes thats what I heard that they can go onto semi skimmed milk from the age of 2 but I still buy him full fat x

Thanks, yes thats what I heard that they can go onto semi skimmed milk from the age of 2 but I still buy him full fat x

In the NHS birth-5 book it says half fat from 2 and low fat from 5 but my HV said this was outdated and like I mentioned before is now not recommended to reduce fat at all before 5. It sounds like he is getting a great diet from you though anyway. I guess if you're not exactly replacing foods with lower fat then it won't matter anyway.

Thanks yeah it wont really matter as I have not really replaced any of his foods with low fat things just his supper tonight...so this thread was kind of pointless :dohh: x

It's coz they may miss out on some of the fat soluble vitamins which are only found in fat....also kids need the extra calories and energy. Funny enough kids should have a high fat, low fibre diet....the opposite to us, but a balanced diet, not high fat in the way of junk food etc.

It's coz they may miss out on some of the fat soluble vitamins which are only found in fat....also kids need the extra calories and energy. Funny enough kids should have a high fat, low fibre diet....the opposite to us, but a balanced diet, not high fat in the way of junk food etc.

Thanks, yeah I know all this so dont know why I made a thread lol
they are not supposed to have too much high fibre cause it fills them up too quickly & they are supposed to have plenty of good fats like omega 3 fish oil, avocado,bananas, olive oil things like that, thanks anyway x

Thanks, yeah I know all this so dont know why I made a thread lol
they are not supposed to have too much high fibre cause it fills them up too quickly & they are supposed to have plenty of good fats like omega 3 fish oil, avocado,bananas, olive oil things like that, thanks anyway x

:rofl:, I'll just shut up then eh:dohh::lolly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"