When is safe to induce? - UPDATE.

C

Ceejay123

Hi Ladies!

I am consultant lead due to complications with my first pregnancy. I've been having serious pains throughout my pregnancy which have gotten much worse lately, to the point that my consultant is discussing inducing me at 39 weeks (He said he feels more comfortable at 39 weeks, we'll see on the date).

I had an induction with my first child, just before 37 weeks due to IUGR and pregnancy induced hypertension (he stopped growing completely - 4lbs).

Now, I'm 37+4 and I was rushed back into hospital yesterday, Over the weekend my blood pressure spiked - My legs swelled within two hours, hip to toes.. and I have protein in my urine/bloods.

Had the tests repeated today - Still protein, BP still hovering around same amout even though ive been bed-bound. I have to have a 24 hour urine test to confirm pre-eclampsia, then meet with my consultant the next morning to discuss.

What's a reasonable time to be induced? I wanted a home birth and really wanted to avoid induction. I've been refused a homebirth on medical grounds and it looks like Im going to be induced anyway :( ! x

If you can (and that's the key) new studies are finding that 39 weeks or later is best. HOWEVER, if you have PE or some other complication I don't think that this applies as that risk outweighs the risk of having a slightly early baby. I had marginal placenta previa until 36 weeks and they were going to induce at 38 so I wouldn't go into spontaneous labor-so there are some great reasons (to keep mom and baby safe) to get induced early. You should confirm that with your doctor for your specific situation though.

https://www.marchofdimes.org/pregnancy/why-at-least-39-weeks-is-best-for-your-baby.aspx

https://www.npr.org/2011/07/18/138473097/doctors-to-pregnant-women-wait-at-least-39-weeks

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1285105/Babies-born-week-early-risk-health-problems.html

Your doc can best answer, but I think 36 and up is a good number when circumstances permit.

I was induced at 37 weeks also. I think they like to do 37 weeks or after if possible as you are technically term at 37 weeks.

As Ecoden says the new recommendation is >39 weeks, but if your health or LO's health is at risk then delivering earlier would be the better option.

Thanks ladies.

I've been declined a home birth due to 1. I have small babies, 2. Iron levels are very low (risk of bleeding out).

So I have to be induced due to the irritable uterus I've been suffering from - as I won't handle much more pain. Baby also doesn't move at home any more - he will occasionally on a CTG. So we were talking about discussing an induction at my next appointment.

However now, I have protein in my urine, serious swelling and raised bp - Which all suggests the start of Pre - E. I just don't know whether to push for the induction to be brought forward a week or wait it out for the health of my little one. I'm already exhausted, been sleeping 3 hours a night for 2 weeks due to pain (I was asked to wean off pain relief) and on top of the painful swelling/sickness from the BP I just don't feel like I'm coping any more. xx

Thanks ladies.

I've been declined a home birth due to 1. I have small babies, 2. Iron levels are very low (risk of bleeding out).

So I have to be induced due to the irritable uterus I've been suffering from - as I won't handle much more pain. Baby also doesn't move at home any more - he will occasionally on a CTG. So we were talking about discussing an induction at my next appointment.

However now, I have protein in my urine, serious swelling and raised bp - Which all suggests the start of Pre - E. I just don't know whether to push for the induction to be brought forward a week or wait it out for the health of my little one. I'm already exhausted, been sleeping 3 hours a night for 2 weeks due to pain (I was asked to wean off pain relief) and on top of the painful swelling/sickness from the BP I just don't feel like I'm coping any more. xx

If it's confirmed Pre-e there's no way in hell your doctor will let you go to 39 weeks. The question you are asking leads to a decision that ultimately is up to your doctor to make. They work for the well being of mom and baby and any more episodes that you might have like the one you posted about could lead to an induction as early as tomorrow. I've come across people who have delivered as early as 29 weeks bc of PE as a result of emergency induction.

Ideally induction would be avoided, if impossible to avoid 39 weeks is recommended. For health issues? That goes out the window.

If your swelling and bp is controlled to a low-high then MAYBE they'd let you go that far- but again....very unlikely.

Thank you.

My BP earlier today was 149/91 - I know that doesn't sound scarily high, but I have VERY low BP naturally. Booking BP - 99/57. Three days ago it was 110/65. So its all of a sudden.

Protein went from 0 at 9am, to trace at 11am, to 1+ at 2pm.

I've now been asked to do a 24 hour urine collection to check my protein-creatine - and to monitor my BP every hour. Its slowly rising.

Since leaving hospital my swelling is ridiculous, I can barely walk. My vision is blurry, severe headaches and throwing up. I'm due to hand in my sample tomorrow afternoon and see my consultant shortly after for results. xx

You are term so you would be fine for induction. Obviously not ideal but if its needed then its needed! Good luck x

If your symptoms have gotten that severe, I'd call your doctor or go back to the hospital.

As PP said please go back to the hospital. Pre-E is not something to waste time with as it can be fatal for the Mother.

Hi Ladies, I was admitted back to the hospital at 2pm today. My protein levels went up to 2+ on the sticks they use, so they've rushed my protein-creatine sample to diagnose Pre-E.

They'll have a diagnosis for me by the morning. I have a 9:45 am appointment with my consultant who will decide whether I need to be induced tomorrow or whether I am safe to wait another week. If my levels are above 300 I will be induced over the next 24-48 hours, if they're lower i'll be watched daily for another week, then induced at 39 weeks due to irritable uterus.

Swelling has gotten much worse, very painful. BP has come down a bit, however every other symptom has gotten worse. (They seem Happy BP has come down, I think I'd just like this over as it's a yo-yo of pain and worry right now)

They kept me in until 6pm today, then said I could either stay in the night or come home until 9am to try to get one 'last good nights sleep' in case I'm emergently induced. (Can't sleep in hospital beds due to irritable uterus - Way too painful). I'm monitoring my blood pressure every 2 hours (currently 140/91) and I've got the protein sticks (Still showing either 1+ or 2+ each time). Documenting everything for consultant in the morning.

He's a very laid back doctor - as opposed to the consultant that's been handling me in the ward who is very hands on and has me feeling much more cared for. I'll let you know if I end up with a baby tomorrow! x

I think you're going to meet your baby tomorrow, if not sooner! Sounds like things (the pre-e) are progressing fast, and the only cure is delivery. Don't be nervous, just be vigilant. Be an advocate for you and baby - stopping the pre-e is going to bemore important than another week in the womb. :) Best wishes!

You poor thing! I hope they induce you - that way it will all go back to normal and you can enjoy baby snuggles :)

My cousin was induced just before Christmas at 34 weeks due to severe pre-e and her little boy is doing great. I hope everything works out great for you! Glad you are feeling well cared for!

Hi Ladies

Sorry I haven't updated. So .. I'm furious. But happy.

I had my little one on 28th March. I saw my consultant a few days before and had a CTG, as well as the results of my tests. All results were borderline but increasing, my swelling was incredibly severe and my BP was very high. My consultant decided he 'wasn't changing his plan' and was going to induce me 8 days later. I explained that my LO hadn't been moving in weeks and that his CTG's were being abnormal (very little accelerations, no movement). He said it would be fine, and pretty much accused me of being paranoid.

So I went home, upset. Came back two days later in the morning as my BP spiked to 155/94 and I could barely walk with swelling. They repeated a urine test and my Protein had increased from 26 - 112, in 48 hours! They told me I couldn't even go home to get things and I had to be admitted to the ward now, and induced. I was induced, baby had gone into distress and swallowed/inhaled a lot of meconium. My waters had also been leaking. He was rushed to the NICU after birth and has been there for three days so far. However, he is amazing and I am completely in love with him :) So a positive update in the end - but you can tell how furious I am! They should have taken my concerns into account, they now know that with leaking waters/meconium in his amniotic fluid that the reduced movement/CTG issues were due to him being in distress, which has led to a severe lung infection. x

Congratulations in your new little one. Have you got a name for him yet?

How scary though that you've had to go through something that was so mismanaged. I'm glad the update in the end is positive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->