When is the best time to get in the pool?

Greta Chick

Happy mum of 3 :-)
Reaction score
Hi all

I had a waterbirth with DD 5 years ago, but was only actually in the pool for about 20 minutes before she was born. It didn't help with relaxing me or relieving any pain whatsoever, the 15 mins of pushing contractions were awful and I felt a bit out of control to be honest as my body seemed to be doing it without me having any choice over the matter and me not actually pushing at all (which hadn't happened when pushing DS out on dry land 8 years ago).

I had a physio appointment today as I have spd and my hips have been giving me problems from early on this pregnancy. She thinks water would be good for me to labour in this time and advises I go in earlier (I hadn't believed I was in proper labour with DD as I was coping fine with the contractions at home and hadn't had a show or breakage/leakage of waters or anything so was only at the birth centre for about 45 mins before DD was born).

Obviously I won't know how long this labour is going to last so it's hard to say when I should go to the midwife unit and get in the pool, but roughly what do you advise please?

Thanks in anticipation

xx

My midwife says that I should be aiming to get into the pool at about 6-7 am and not before that. Up until that stage she recommends staying upright and moving as much as possible to help gravity do its thing.
If I do want to get in before that it will just be to have a little rest and relax and regain energy.

Once at about 7cm the pool is actually meant to help things move along.

I would advise you to listen to your body. If you don't feel the need to get in the pool, don't. If you are in the pool and want to get out, get out. Bodies tend to work a little better if they are in charge. It can be quite annoying for some to give up on plans that are set before labour but I guess that's what people mean when they say 'surrender yourself to labour'. I have a friend who has had three water births and two where water was available but she never felt the need to get in for one and got up out of the water during the pushing process for the other because that's what she felt was what was needed to get the baby out.

https://www.thegoodbirth.co.uk/birth_pool_in_a_box_frequently_asked_questions#whengetin

x

Thank you ladies, that's great:flower:

When I got to the birth centre to "see if anything was actually happening or if I was going to end up being in this condition for days yet" I was 5-6cm. I got in the pool around 20 minutes later and within about 10 minutes my body started pushing by itself so I'd gone from 5-6cm to 10cm and pushing within half an hour.

Half of me would like to get in the pool for relaxation, but the other half wants to stay on dry land. i don't want to be swapping positions all of the time, I'd rather be either in the pool or not if you know what I mean?

I've been doing my hypnotherapy pregnancy relaxation and this week started my birth preparation. I've tried to do it in positions I think I might like to be in during labour/delivery so I can get used to it and my body will associate the tracks with relaxing etc. I know when I was in labour with DS and DD I stayed upright and didn't like being laid down at all, so I've been doing my hypnotherapy either sat upright, leant over my ball or laid in the bath which was lovely.

xx

When you want to. Listen to your body. Don't forget to walk/bounce/whatever too!

Rmar & Sleepinbeauty said it - YOU decide :D Some hospitals have a thing about 5cm or more but if things slow down then you'd either be happy or get out! Do what feels right and the great thing about being at home is you can please yourself - there are no rules in your own home! :winkwink:

Sorry I just noticed you are going to the birth centre :dohh:

You can just go when you are ready. They might have guidelines but know that these are negotiable so get your birth partner briefed on what you'd like to happen. If the MWs understand the situation then and you are informed, then they should oblige :D

:flower:

I went to an aquanatal class yesterday afternoon and just did *not* want to get out of the pool at all, it felt fantastic just bobbing about. I've always liked being in the water but our bath at home is tiny, the only things that are actually in the water when I get in now are my bum and feet! Everything else sticks out lol:haha:

I think like you've all said, I'll see how I feel on the day. I'll be doing my natal hypnotherapy so may feel ok on land, but again may also want to get in the pool earlier depending on how I'm feeling. I've been trying to imagine labour both on land and in the pool so I can get comfortable with both, I don't want to set my heart on one and concentrate on that then find when I'm actually in labour I want the opposite as I'm worried my train of relaxation will go to pot iykwim.

I would have had a homebirth but hubby said no way, he panicks more than I do and although we'd have the exact same care at home as we will at the birth centre, for some reason being in an actual midwife led building seems to be more comfortable for him. I'm happy to compromise on it as it is a lovely place to be and I've given birth there twice before so am happy there, but I'm just a teeny bit concerned about the journey there breaking my hypnotherapy relaxation iykwim.:confused:

xx

:flower:

I went to an aquanatal class yesterday afternoon and just did *not* want to get out of the pool at all, it felt fantastic just bobbing about. I've always liked being in the water but our bath at home is tiny, the only things that are actually in the water when I get in now are my bum and feet! Everything else sticks out lol:haha:

I think like you've all said, I'll see how I feel on the day. I'll be doing my natal hypnotherapy so may feel ok on land, but again may also want to get in the pool earlier depending on how I'm feeling. I've been trying to imagine labour both on land and in the pool so I can get comfortable with both, I don't want to set my heart on one and concentrate on that then find when I'm actually in labour I want the opposite as I'm worried my train of relaxation will go to pot iykwim.

I would have had a homebirth but hubby said no way, he panicks more than I do and although we'd have the exact same care at home as we will at the birth centre, for some reason being in an actual midwife led building seems to be more comfortable for him. I'm happy to compromise on it as it is a lovely place to be and I've given birth there twice before so am happy there, but I'm just a teeny bit concerned about the journey there breaking my hypnotherapy relaxation iykwim.:confused:

xx

I know exactly what you mean about not setting yourself up for one way or the other. Though I'm planning a homebirth and constantly imagine myself in the birthing pool I have to remind myself that I may want to be in the bed if it comes down to it and that ok.

As for not breaking your relaxation while you're in route to the centre has your hypnobirthing practioner mentioned doing a few relaxations while in the car and your OH is driving? It gives you the opertunity to see how it will feel and the noises you will hear.

I've only been doing the cds myself, I haven't actually spoken to a practitioner but that's a good idea actually. I might see if I can try it, but DS and DD are always in the car when hubby's driving so it'll be hard to keep them quiet lol:haha: Also, the birth centre is only actually 5 minutes away in the car so I wouldn't actually get to listen to much while we were en route, though I'm going to be carrying the ipod with me in my hand (without earphones) so I can keep it going from house to birth centre.

xx

I've only been doing the cds myself, I haven't actually spoken to a practitioner but that's a good idea actually. I might see if I can try it, but DS and DD are always in the car when hubby's driving so it'll be hard to keep them quiet lol:haha: Also, the birth centre is only actually 5 minutes away in the car so I wouldn't actually get to listen to much while we were en route, though I'm going to be carrying the ipod with me in my hand (without earphones) so I can keep it going from house to birth centre.

xx

Will they be in the car when you go to the birth centre? Cause if so pop your head phones in and just zone them out so that you can practice not to lose your concentration. And even if it's only 5 min away you should still practice. Especially since it sounded like a concern of yours. It'll just take 2 or 3 times and then you'll see that you can do it :)

My children won't be with us when we go to the birth centre, they'll be looked after at home by their Grandparents so it'll just be hubby and I in the car.

I may well put the music on with headphones and zone out like you suggested, that seems like a good idea to help prepare.

xx

Dont have it playing out loud when your hubby is driving!! :lol:

I had a birth preparation session the other week and the couple were going to listen on the way home!! Nooooooo!! :rofl:

From my experience (1 dry land birth with a short spell in the pool for pain relief and 1 water birth) if you are having fairly strong regular contractions the water will speed them up rather than slow them down. My second birth was really quick so by the time they'd filled up the pool I was almost ready to push. As long as someone's keeping the water warm I'd say get in there as soon as you can. A warm pool is a mush nicer place to labour than on a bed :) Good luck!

That's what happened to me with DD. I was only at the birth centre for 25 minutes when I decided to get in the pool. As soon as I got in the contractions became almost unbearable (on dry land I was coping fine) and my body immediately started pushing beyond my control which was quite shocking as it'd not happened with DS. DD was born 15 or so minutes later. That's why this time I'm not setting my heart on a waterbirth as I'm worried the same thing will happen again and I'll feel out of control:nope:

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->