When is the best time to try and conceive? - tell me about your experiences please!

lerp2

Reaction score
Me and my fiancé want a baby so much however, we are both still in university. I will be finished in June and he has another year however, he is going to change university and we are going to move into his mums old house.
We are getting impatient and know we can support a child especially as we will have a house.

What are your stories? how did you decide it was the right time?

Hello!

I have not long finished uni, graduated in June this year, and at 24 I was pretty old compared to the rest of my class! OH and I have been talking about TTC for a while now and have decided that the time is (almost) right! We are financially reasonably well off, we live in a nice area in a nice home, and at 33 OH is getting a bit impatient lol!

Before I met OH I never dreamed of TTC, having a baby was waaayyy off in the future but he just totally changed my life when he came along and we are so settled. I guess it just feels right to us both now that we dont see any reason to wait other than I have just started a new job and want to get a couple months under my belt to finish my probation period and qualify for proper maternity pay.

I can understand your impatience, though! I am champing at the bit, I want to start TTC yesterday lol!

All the best for whatever decisions you and your fiance make, whether you decide to start or wait :)

so when he changes university will he have to start a new course or just do his final year?
i didnt go to uni but my oh did and i worked and saved.. believe me it was not easy! he finished uni july 2013 and got well paid job feb 2014
we are getting married in may and moving in together in february (buying a house) it really feels so good knowing we have money behind us to support our family, we both want to have a big family! and as we will be married and living in our own house once we start having babies there will be no stopping us :) we have had lots of holidays just us two and really feel we are ready for children in our lives
really its whats right for you and your oh, if you really fell ready then i would look at finances, childcare, potential jobs etc and you can see it all working then that can make it much easier to set a date!
sorry this is a bit rambly :flower:

I'd wait a year or two and both finish uni. A baby is SO much more work than you can imagine, though also worth it.

I'd want to enjoy each thing separately I.e. Enjoy uni while concentrating on getting the best grades you can after years of hard work. Final year is pretty intense, I know I'd have found any other big responsibilities difficult. It would be a shame to get a poor result because you were too exhausted in early pregnancy to stay up and study. Also you can then enjoy the baby stage without revising, doing exams etc...

I know it's not what you want to hear but believe me a year will fly by especially if you're in final year.

For us me and hubby had different opinions. We wanted to be married first and hubby would have started the day we said I do but I was only in temporary employment and he saw sense. Looking back the first year of our marriage was tricky as we hadn't been living together long and I know a baby would have really challenged our relationship but we couldn't have known that before. When I got a permanent job I wanted to be working a year first to get settled though cracked after 8 months. It ended up taking us a few years due to fertility issues and we were more than ready by the time she came along.
That ended up a bit long oops, in short for us i personally wanted to married, have our house and both have secure jobs but I know if time went on I would have compromised on at least one of them :)

There really isn't a perfect time to try, but you should try to get yourself into the best situation possible. Babies are a lot of work, like LoveCakes said, and having everything else in your self settled helps hugely.

Our story: We met when I was 21 and DH 26. He was working on his PhD, and I was working on my bachelors. We moved in together after a year. We got engaged after we finished our programs. Married the next year, bought a house the year after. I got pregnant about six months after we bought our house. I finished my masters right before my son was born, and worked from home for the last year. I'm now transitioning to be a full SAHM. Before meeting my husband, I was pretty ambivalent about marriage and babies. As soon as we started dating, I wanted a family asap! I definitely wanted to be married first, and I wanted to live together before being married. DH wanted us to have a house before trying, too.

Like I said, there's no right time, but it's a big help to know everything else is taken care of so you can focus on baby. But people make all sorts of different situations work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->