When kids are too distracted to listen...

SarahBear

Reaction score
... unless you yell. Do you ever find yourself yelling simply because your kid is too distracted to notice you talking unless you do so? There are times Violet is so active and vocal that yelling is basically required in order for her to even notice that you're trying to communicate to her. Oi, it's frustrating at times. I do aim to not yell, and when she's in this "crazed" mode, I often just raise my voice for the first couple words and then quite down, but it drives me nuts sometimes! I think part of the problem is when she is too cooped up. I finally made the kids go play outside despite the rain. I think that helped. Getting kids to go outside and burn off energy is definitely an important parenting tool! What sort of "tools" do you use if you're kids are getting too wound to listen and you find yourself having to yell?

Oh gosh, all the time! Drives me round the bend! The other thing I try is to do the same rhythmic clapping they do at their school to get their attention, clap clap clapclapclap. But to be honest and to my shame the yelling is more frequent :blush:

what about touch? i’m an adult with adhd and honestly my partner and also DD sometimes have to touch my arm or whatever when they’re telling me something or asking something. although DD takes it too far and grabs my face :haha:

I also either whistle, or just go and distract her b taking her away from the source of distraction. Timers on my phone work wonders too.Theres no consequence to the timer other than that it beeps without end once it is done,

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->