When to call MW for BH?

redneckhippy

Reaction score
I'm 36 weeks and for the last 4-5 days my BH have really picked up and they last a lot longer, sometimes over a minute. I have an appointment with my MW on Friday, and I really don't want to go in earlier for nothing. My mom thinks I should call, but my thinking is, if it's been going on for several days now and hasn't progressed, then it can't be actual labor. Obviously, I don't want to be ignoring any real issue, but I also don't want to call and go in (take off work) for nothing. Thoughts?

Ive had this also....had a scan last tuesday though due to other reasons and they dont seem to be doing anything.
From what I have read/been told its normal for them to get stronger and more frequent as we get closer to our due date.... its frustrating as we now have to wonder when they will turn into the real thing!
If your worried though do go ahead and call your mw...its what they are there for :) xx

I was having lots of BH at 24 wks, they were extremely painful and felt so real....turns out it was just very strong BH, some women experiences major episodes....so when I was at the hospital they told me to be concerned if the contractions are timing regular , water leaks or bleeding, and baby not moving..... If the contractions are random, no water or blood , and baby is moving then to blow them off as practice contractions.... I'm 33 wks now and still feeling them, sometimes they are soooo so painful and strong I could aware he is on his way right then n there !

I get several a day, and they last over a minute each. I was told to drink water, lay on left side, and if I have 6 and hour for 2 hours to go in.

I would call to talk it through with the midwife- if nothing else, it might give you some peace of mind.

Even if it were real labor, that is less and less of a problem every day you creep towards 40w. It is my understanding that they typically would not stop labor if you are 36w+... (?) Or are you wondering when you can tell it is the real deal/calling about heading in to deliver? :flower:

I'm not so concerned about heading to delivery, just whether I should be concenred about the BH increasing because although I know 36 weeks the baby should still be fine if delivered, it's still a little earlier than ideal. Just wanted to make sure it's normal and not something I needed to go in sooner for. But, while the contractions are really uncomfortable and a pain, they don't seem to be changing and it's been about 5-6 days with them being the same and nothing has progressed into any sort of more active labor, so I think it's ok. I'm also going to try to make sure I'm drinking enough water as I understand being dehydrated can make things worse.

Hey there. When I was super sick and dehydrated at 32 weeks I had constant bh everytime i stood till I sat down. Once the virus jad run course and I was more hydrated they slowed. That was at 32 weeks. Now 36 weeks and they are getting more frequent but not constant. If they don't progress and aren't regular I wouldn't worry. But like anything, never hurts to call doctor if you are concerned. With my last babe I didn't know what braxton hicks were till I went into labor! Looking back I was havin loads of them from 37 weeks on!

Keep well

I've been having BH since my second trimester. They have become stronger and sometimes 3-6 min apart. I've been in a couple.of times for them but since there is no cervical change everything is ok. Some people have noticeable BH, especially with the more kids you have. I'm on my 4th child and the BH do get more painful for me with each pregnancy. I think you will be ok but if they become timeable then perhaps you should give them a ring. Try drinking twice as much water and soak in a warm bath to see if it helps. Almost always settles mine :) And think of it this way, BH prepares your uterus. I honestly believe all the BH I've had with my pregnancys is what helped me have a smooth fast labors.

I am also having lots of contractions and called in last night when they were coming regularly 5-6 mins apart. I'm booked in for a section, though, so I'm trying to catch labour early to stop my meds in time. I suppose that if you don't have any complications and you are close to being term then you can ride them out at home until they become unmanageable and you realise you are in labour. A quick call to the midwife should confirm what your local protocol is.
One suggestion that worked for me last night was to take a warm bath. As soon as I got in the contractions stopped and after an hour in the water they were only sporadic. They say that with real labour the contractions would continue. I have no idea whether that's true, though.
Good luck!

I've also been having lots of BH since about 19 weeks. And I've noticed they get more frequent if I've not drank as much water of if I've over done it a little.

They are definitely getting stronger now though, and sometimes take my breath away.

Mine seem worst in the evenings and can get quite painful. Then they combine with the need to pee no matter how many times I pee and it's just really unpleasant. Two more days until I see my MW though.

Good luck, redneck hippy! I hope that the midwife can put your mind at ease. Will she do a cervical check? I also get quite bad BH at night now... But it hasn't yet progressed beyond a certain point, so I think it is apparently just my body getting ready. It would be nice if we could avoid these symptoms until 37w+ ;) let us know what your midwife says!

She's doing my GBS test on Friday, so I'm hoping while she's down there she can check my cervix as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->