when to introduce a bottle?

Jaymelynn

Reaction score
I am ebf-ing my baby, but I would like to introduce a bottle for occasional use with pumped breast milk. I am not going back to work until he is about 3.5 months, but I heard that you should not wait too long to introduce a bottle. I do not want to stress right before returning to work about getting him used to a bottle. Also I would use a bottle if I ever need to go somewhere without my LO for a few hours before I return to work. Right now he is only 2.5 weeks, so I do not want to cause nipple confusion. Is there a "right time" to start a bottle?

I'm no expert on this, but I plan on introducing bottles and pacifiers when baby is 1 month old. We're taking a flight out of town at 1 month of age exactly to visit my relatives and I want him to be able to suck a pacifier on the plane and have my relatives help with caring for him and feeding him.

went to our doctor this morning and he said to start introducing a bottle now (2 months old) otherwise I'd be a prisoner. That said with my daughter I waited till 2,5 months, started giving her a bottle now and then and she gradually started preferring a bottle, not breast. So instead of breastfeeding, I ended up pumping a lot (hate it!!) and dealing with all kinds of issues (bottles, warming up, defrosting, supplementing etc. etc.). So I am thinking maybe give it at 3 months this time and only give it every 3-4 days.

By three months, my son simply refuses the bottle. If you're already pumping, I would start now, and maintain it every day at the same time so they don't forget, like my son did.

My baby won't take a bottle yet. I've tried two or three times but I just get a clamped mouth and a pouty "that is NOT boob!" look. I've bought a Doidy and will be giving that a go in a month or so instead.

I gave my first bottle of ebm at five weeks. The bottle has a really wide and slow flow nipple meant to mimic the breast. I only give occasional bottles when I have to go to an appt or something, but she always takes it and we have no trouble with latching after

Thank you everyone!! I am thinking 4-5 weeks might be the best. I just hope he can be one of those babies that can go back and forth from the breast to the bottle easily. I was pumping the first week because my son was in the NICU, but I have stopped. I would like to start making a "back up" supply of milk. Maybe I will pump like once a day to get started.

I'd say 3-4 weeks. Just a heads up, it DEFINITELY helps to introduce one early, but it doesn't guarantee that LO won't start to refuse one later. Especially around 3 months...so don't be too alarmed if he suddenly starts to refuse right before you go back to work! He'll adjust, especially if he's used to taking one already.

Should I have someone else give him the bottle? I've heard it might be easier for babies to take the bottle from someone other then their mother, is this true? I better get pumping ;)

yes I've heard of babies refusing bottles from mom I've never given my baby a bottle, mostly because I didn't see the point. But also I found my husband really enjoyed feeding her, so if you want to have a practice bottle maybe you can let your oh or other caregiver who will be giving the bottles while your gone take a turn. I would think it might be confusing for baby to get it from you and you are trying to make the transition smooth as possible. gl!! :)

DS was on bottles from a few days old as poorly. Completely back on breast by 8 weeks. At 16 weeks I decided to introduce an evening bottle for OH to help out. He took to it straight away. At 9/10 months DS decided he no longer had bottles and stopped all together.

All babies are different and all do their own thing and you can bet they won't be reading this thread or any baby book and do what they are supposed to!!

Yeah, at first mine usually wouldn't take bottles when I was even in the room. He wouldn't take a bottle from me until he was really used to them.

my lo has had both bottle and breast from day 2 and dummy since day 5 without any nipple confusion at all,I'm not sure if I'm just lucky or what.he is now 4weeks old. he doesnt get a bottle everyday,maybe once or twice a week depending on the circumstances x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->