When to introduce sippy cup?

tasha41

Mum & Dad + 1
Reaction score
Elyse holds her own bottle confidently and (prefers) to feed herself. She's been holding her own bottle maybe 3 weeks now, but is getting better and better at it and not wanting me to hold the bottle at all is new to last week ish. She does her own bottle (except when she's tired), and *tries* to be independent already, lol. Like grabs the spoon when I'm feeding her and tries to feed herself, but gets it in her hair usually. Anywho! She is fascinated with cups, they're her favourite thing to play with and she knows what to do with them, just obviously does not have enough control to use a cup (has tried with bathwater and I let her try to have a sip from my cup of water).. big mess! lol.

How long should I wait to introduce a sippy cup with formula in it?
And any ideas for a first cup? What you suggest might not be available in Canada, so what should I look for/what's good about this particular cup?

You can introduce it really at any time, if she seems interested it def won't hurt to try. They recommend here you start at 6mo. We did just water in it, I tried breastmilk once since that's what he normally ate but he wasn't too pleased. Not sure if yall have the same brands there but some that the boys liked when first started were Nuby..not the ones with handles, those leaked. Playtex my first sipster...those have handles and a semi soft spout, and also Gerber with handles..same type spout as the playtex

Yep we have all those brands here! The Nuby bottles are actually the easiest for her to hold, so II'll try to find the Nuby ones first!!

Meadow uses a Nuby with handles she loves to hold it herself. Sounds like Elise would be able to do the same. I only put water in Meadows tho.

Finn loves his sippy, I gave it to him at 4 mos, just to play with, but he knew what to do with it and now he drinks from it. Just water though, I dont want to waste my milk :blush: I'd just give her a go, just let her play and give a little help, nothing too serious. He just uses a bog standard tommee tippee with a flip up spout, they give them away free here.

i just put wate in rhys's and offer it to him every meal time, i've ben offering it to him for months and sometimes has a drink sometimes he pushes it out the way as if it poison so dont worry if she looks at you like what are you doing lol it takes a while sometimes to get the hang of

x

we tried so many sippy cups but finally settled on the nuby soft spot as her beginner cup. We just put water in it. When she mastered that (and it took a few months) we moved onto the Nuby cups with straws and started giving water in one and formula in the other (mostly because by this time Hannah had started refusing most bottles :wacko:).

We started with water just a week ago. Edward gets sooo excited now when he sees the cup coming although he's still not a fan of having to hold it himself. It cracks me up to watch him drink, tooo funny :)

We have the same one as Vickie. I put just water in it tho! Just give her some water in there and let her play around with it! LeeAnne seems to love to chew on it and gets a bit of water from that, she doesnt really understand the whole tipping it up to get a drink! Cant hurt to give it to her to play around and experiment with!

I went with a Nuby cup.. I'm not sure what it's actually called lol but I think it's the one Vickie recommended. The spout thing is so similar to the nipple on a bottle, Elyse is doing well with that.. she seems to be pretty messy with it though! lol.

It took a while for Hannah to get used to it, I just gave it to her and let her play with it. Until she learned how to get the water out and than I switched cups :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->