When to start swimming lessons etc

CarlyP

Mum of 2 & baking #3
Reaction score
Hi all, my OH mentioned that he would like our son to start karate or juditsu (sp?) and I would like him to have swimming lessons but we dont know what age would be best to start, he starts school in September.

my son started karate in the september he started school full time , the karate / judo etc clubs etc round her wont take them any earlier ( much to my younger sons disappointment)

my eldest started swimming lessons at age 3(he is now 5 and swims very well) and my youngest starts sep he will be 3 and a half then.

My son started Karate age 3 and he has private swimming lessons (I feel are better than group sessions) which he started age 6. x

I think group sessions are better swimming in my own experience :flower:
For most sports/hobbies, the idea age to get them involved is between 3-6 as this is when they'll pick things up easiest.
I started dancing and swimming when I was 3, and I only retired from dancing when I had my LO.
As for my LO, I started taking her to dance class just to watch when she was 2, so she'd get to see what it was like. And she started proper classes at 3.
She didn't start swimming till this year.
Hope that helped :flower:

The private lessons cost more but in the group they are in the small pool for much longer :) its £10 extra but worth it (although I dont actually pay).

we started off in a group , then went private but now are back in a group as our local authority no longer allow private lessons in the public pools :( i found the private lessons better tbh but he enjoys the classes better so swings and roundabouts i guess

i started swimming when i was 3 and i enjoyed stay in the water..haha

My daughter started this summer at age four. I would've started her at three but it didn't even occur to me until midway through summer and it was too late to sign her up by then.

Hannah started dancing when she was 4, her school take children from 2 and a half x

I'm a primary school teacher and our school takes the kids swimming for a term in year 3, so 7-8 years old. Most can swim by then or are at least getting there. So classes etc before this would be really helpful and will help any later fears.

My oldest started swimming lessons at 5 and hated it. This year he is 6 and his brother is going also, who is 4. At our pool, they have to be 5, unless they are tall enough at 4. I'm hoping that they will have an easier time being together.

My daughter started swimming lessons as age 3...she's been like a fish ever since :thumbup:

I want to put my stepson in a swim class but every time I mention it to his mother she claims shes already looking into one...but for some reason she never put him in anything...it upset me because he is now 7 and still can not swim at all...I planned on sending him to the same summer camp as my daughter and have them start teaching him but then his mother told me she already paid for a camp (which turns out to actually be more of a daycare than a daycamp..smh).

I actually plan on putting him in a class in September...I'm not going to bother to mention it to her...I think every child should be able to swim. JMO

I think that swimming is an important life skill which didn't occur to me until my oldest was 5. I put him into lessons and he progressed slowly but is now whizzing along. I put my middle son into swimming lessons at 4 and for different reasons progressed slowly and then put youngest into lessons at 2 1/2 and he swims like a fish and is now in classes with his middle brother. They can all swim confidently now at 8,7 & 5 and makes going on holiday a lot more relaxing (not that that means I take my eyes off them in the pool!)

Other clubs are great for them to join as soon as they are old enough it helps build confidence in themselves and also make lots of new friends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->