When to stop

pinkneon

Birth mommy xx
Reaction score
When do you stop sterlizing things for a preemie baby? Is it at the same time as a term baby or not?? We've been told to sterilize everything until she's 1 ... Everything goes in her mouth but I'm wondering if it's actually necessary to sterilize a toy everytime it falls on the floor or wthere a bit of germs is ok now? She's 10months old now ...

I would wipe Holly's toys with Milton wipes when I guest got them and an odd time after that. Never sterilised them religiously. If she dropped it outside it will be washed but not in the house.

I was told by the NICU nurses to sterlize things before first use and then after that just either put it in the dishwasher or wash in hot soapy water. They said sterilizing too much can be just as bad and that preemies need to cope with germs/etc to build up their immune system as well.

I would sterilise bottles and cups that hold milk. It's the germs that breed from traces of milk left over from washing that can be so dangerous to a baby.
I have never sterilised a toy or a spoon/bowl etc. They are lucky to ever even get wiped.

We must have a very stupid HV then!! She tells us to sterlizie the bowls, spoons, dummies, bottles (which I can understand), plastic toys that fall on the floor (like toys keys) and sippy cups. Basically anything she uses!

I sterilised A's bottles till he was about 8m actual - that's the latest I can remember (because I went to stay at my Mums and we used sterilising tablets then). He was in hospital about a month later, and I had given up sterilising by then.

They recommend sterilising weaning equiptment till 6 months and bottles untill 1 but I stopped sterilising a few months ago when she started licking my shoes and eating bits of fluff of the floor.

I heard it was 1 year old too. I had to wean myself off the thing!

The nurses told me to sterilise until 4 months..when they start putting everything in their mouths theres just no point..

I was told 4 months too by my neonatalogist! After that indeed everything goes in the mouth anyway soooo ;)

I was thinking about this myself. We methodically sterilize everything that we use to feed our twins, we have a big bucket that is cleaned and filled with fresh water and milton everyday and everything goes in there after being washed separately in the sink. Thing is, you do all that then walk in and find a shoe/envelope/fluff/tv remote/socks/body parts etc in their gob, god knows what they get when you aren't looking and no matter how often you clean they find that one thing you miss!

I seem to recall we were told 1 yr but when you think about it it's nonsense!

When do you stop sterlizing things for a preemie baby? Is it at the same time as a term baby or not?? We've been told to sterilize everything until she's 1 ... Everything goes in her mouth but I'm wondering if it's actually necessary to sterilize a toy everytime it falls on the floor or wthere a bit of germs is ok now? She's 10months old now ...

My Daughter Wasn't prem,ButI was Advised To Sterlize Everything Till A Year Old,So Maybe It Could Be The Same,

I know you can get like sterilizing wipes and gel,Just to give something a quick wipe if it does fall on the floor

I Still Give my daughters toys a wipe if they fall on the floor,And She's 9 months,
Myabe just me being as I am >.<

Hope this helped in some way chick:) xxx

Hmm, in the States, they don't tell you to sterilize like that. It is pretty much follow the cleaning directions on the packaging which says sterilize before first use, then wash in hot soapy water/dishwasher safe on top rack only LOL. I have a sanitizer setting on my Dishwasher so I use that for the bottles (when I put them in the dishwasher). I also sterilize the bottle nipples maybe once a week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->