When to tell hospital

BigLegEmma

Reaction score
Hola!

I'm an expat living in Spain since end of 2012 and this is my first pregnancy. Everyone I've spoken to has said homebirthing is illegal here, which I don't believe, and after much research I find no evidence to support this claim, only that less than 1% of women in Spain opt for homebirth, which is where the belief must have come about https://www.mumabroad.com/interviews-with-experts/Midwife_Mireia_Marcos_on_homebirths_in_Spain-12638

So, I was thinking of just not mentioning it and finding a midwife to assist me, but she would not be insured as she's not qualified here (though practiced for 20yrs in UK and has 3 children of her own) and therefore would not be liasing with the hospital. Now I'm thinking we should tell the hospital at my appointment tomorrow of my intentions (I'm 24wks) but am worried about creating an unholy storm of horror. :lol:

I am happy with the hospital in terms of appointments and ultrasounds; it's very clean and efficient, but I am not a fluent Spanish speaker and not really a fan of hospitals either. I do not want an epidural - the only means of pain relief here - nor do I want the baby to have any postnatal injections. I will supplement with Vitamin K as necessary and will be breastfeeding.

My views are pretty much unthinkable, even among the English expat mums who have birthed here and they all make it very clear that my desire is irresponsible and I should have my "first child at hospital and homebirth the second." I might not have a second! And I don't see why this baby should get demoted.

Any advice greatly appreciated. :)

Forgot to add, we live 10-15 drive from the hospital should I need to be transferred.

Talk it through with them, but they can't make you do anything!
So do what you feel is best for you. Is there anyone really good at the language to translate?
Xx

I mentioned it at scan this week and they just said to speak to my midwife; my reply was, "I have a midwife?" It was news to me. :lol:

Anyway, we'll make an appointment with her and see what's what. OH can translate the stuff I don't understand. If they're adamant in refusal, then I'll use the friend who was a midwife in the UK before going into hospital. Nothing like everyone speaking a different language to make you feel relaxed! :)

Yea I wouldn't like that... Well hopefully your Spanish midwife will be fabulous xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->