When to use tens machine?

Anniebobs

Mum of 1 & due in Nov
Reaction score
I've got a tens machine from my labour with DD, I only used it once I'd had a sweep and started with a very achey back.

Now Ive got an achey lower back and have tried paracetamol and a bath but the pain is still there so can I use the tens machine? I'm pretty sure I'm not in labour, I've just overdone it a bit this weekend (have rested all day today though so am hoping to be a lot better tomorrow).

Also, to anyone else further along than me (or anyone who can remember from a previous pregnancy) have you had backache this early and did it ease off? I couldn't cope with another 6 weeks like this!

I did have back ache quite a few weeks ago and it eased off. There's something in my mind that says you're not supposed to use your tens machine til 36 or 38 weeks but I might be wrong. What about a warm bath? Xx

I personally wouldn't use it 'til you're having proper contractions..

I did have back ache quite a few weeks ago and it eased off. There's something in my mind that says you're not supposed to use your tens machine til 36 or 38 weeks but I might be wrong. What about a warm bath? Xx

Glad to hear yours eased off, hopefully mine will be the same. I had a warm bath and some paracetamol before posting this thread, they helped for a bit but after an hour the backache was back.

I won't bother digging my tens machine out just yet then, need to get myself a hot water bottle tomorrow and hopefully that will help.

Its my understanding tens is only for labour, after a certain amount of weeks.

Your best off using a hot water bottle on your back.

I've rented a TENs machine for using during labour and the instructions say that people use them for all sorts of pains i.e. backache, shoulder ache etc?

I had mine on my back a couple of weeks ago when I'd pulled it and it was lovely. Felt like being massaged with an electric toothbrush - loosened it all up.

Just been reading about tens on https://www.babycentre.co.uk/a542581/tens#ixzz3Gd6dvPBj and found this:

You shouldn't use TENS if you:
are less than 37 weeks pregnant (see your doctor or midwife first)
have a cardiac pacemaker or a heart rhythm problem
have undiagnosed pain (see your doctor or midwife first)
are in the shower or bath, or a birth pool
have epilepsy
Hope that helps :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4