When will I start feeling my little one??

ColoradoMomma

Reaction score
I'm at 18 weeks in my first pregnancy! It's so great being in the 2nd trimester! More energy, less nausea, though I am struggling with itchiness and some KILLER sciatic pain.
(I like to joke that my child is already a pain in my butt! ;))

I just want to know one thing... When should I expect to feel movement?? I've heard that during the first pregnancy, it's common to not feel movement until later, but I'm just curious about about how far along you were when you felt movement during your first?

I'm sure I'll be singing a different tune when I'm getting jabbed in the ribs... But for now, I can't wait to start feeling my baby start moving around!

Last edited:
It varies so much from pregnancy to pregnancy!

With my first I didn’t feel movement until around 20weeks.

With my 2nd it was around 16 weeks and with this one it was also around 16 weeks but that being said it’s not like full on punches and kicks more like little vibrations and flutters.

It also depends on whereabouts your placenta is but with your first it’s definitely common not to feel movement until a bit later.

Hopefully you should start feeling your bean on the next couple of weeks :cloud9:

With my first I believe it was 16-18 weeks but I was 21 and stick thin so I think that helped me to feel her a little sooner. I agree with PP that it does depend on Placenta placement. You should be feeling little one any day now :) I think for first timer's it is harder to distinguish what is gas and what is baby until you get a nice flick that you know is baby so that may be why we do not notice it until later also when it is our first time.

With my first I had kicks just before 18 weeks but was closer to 19 weeks with my second. :)

This is my first pregnancy and I have an anterior placenta (which is supposed to mask movements). I started feeling movement daily at 17 weeks, just small flutters though! I thought it was gas bubbles until I had my ultrasound and it turned out my "gas" was actually the baby moving :haha: hard kicks started at about 20 weeks!

I'm at 18 weeks in my first pregnancy! It's so great being in the 2nd trimester! More energy, less nausea, though I am struggling with itchiness and some KILLER sciatic pain.
(I like to joke that my child is already a pain in my butt! ;))

I just want to know one thing... When should I expect to feel movement?? I've heard that during the first pregnancy, it's common to not feel movement until later, but I'm just curious about about how far along you were when you felt movement during your first?

I'm sure I'll be singing a different tune when I'm getting jabbed in the ribs... But for now, I can't wait to start feeling my baby start moving around!

I'll be 18 weeks this Sunday and I have felt movements for the past few weeks. I wasn't sure if it was the baby or not since it felt similar to gas bubbles at first but now I can definitely tell the difference! It's not really in the ribs lol, you'll start to feel something similar to muscle spams just under your belly button in and around that area..almost like little pokes where you would normally feel cramps during a period..I only feel mine late at night just before bed or when I'm lying on my back. This morning when I woke up I felt movement for the first time other than at night. This is my first pregnancy also. Maybe you have felt a few but just either didn't really notice it or thought it was something else. If you pay close attention you will definitely notice them sooner than later!

My first pregnancy I believe I felt it for sure at 22 weeks. My placenta was at the front and cushioning the movement.

This is my second pregnancy in 13 yrs and I felt twinges at 15 wks but real movements at 19 wks I'm now 25 wks and I can see her move and deff feel her nudge me out the way if I'm leaning on my tummy.

Try lying on your back on your bed and shine the torch from your phone onto your tummy or press it on your tummy......wait.........u may feel bubba. Or play a dance song that gets them moving and a cold sweet drink..

I felt this one move really early on compared to my first. I started feeling flickers at about 14 weeks and since about 16 weeks I have started to have little kicks. Which seem to be getting stronger everyday. With my first I occasionally felt fluttering at about 16 weeks but I really didn't feel DS move until I was about 22/23 weeks.

Update: 24 weeks now and I definitely feel her all the time now!
I probably started feeling the "flutters" at 19 weeks, but now along with those all day, I feel her dancing around in there! I don't really feel her when I'm up and busy, maybe she's getting rocked to sleep. But when I'm relaxing on my days off, or before bed, she starts breakdancing, I swear! :headspin:

Thanks for the reassurance everyone!

1st boy wasn't until about 19 weeks.
2nd boy was around 14 weeks
3rd baby still haven't felt anything but midwife says every pregnancy is different and as other have said I'm guessing my placenta is at the front

Feeling movement depends on the placenta and where it is. With my first and second pregnancies I had an anterior placenta so I wasn’t sure about movement until about 20-22 weeks.

This pregnancy I do wonder if I have a posterior placenta because I’ve been feeling movement for at least a month (at 19 weeks now).

I’m 15 weeks today but my stomach is flat as can be (minus a bit of bloat) I can feel bubbles but never sure if it’s gas bubbles or maybe, it’s driving me crazy as I feel after seeing your baby at your first scan your thrown in limbo till 20 weeks and count on these feelings to reassure I can’t even remember when I felt our son first move

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->