When will your mw check your cervix?? how many weeks ?

babe2ooo

mum to Jack
Reaction score
Hi,

I can't really remember with my first. I've read a lot of people saying there mw check there cervix but I don't think my mw last time ever did?? Has your mw checked yours and how many weeks were u?

Checking the cervix routinely is a US thing. They only usually check in the UK if you are in labour, or if you're overdue and having a sweep. You can sit at 3cm for weeks or you can go from completely closed to fully in a matter of hours so checking is a bit pointless!

Ahh I see wonder why they do it in the us?

I'm in the US and at 33+6 I haven't had my cervix checked by my mw yet:shrug: I too was curious when this would happen.

I'm in the US, and the only time they check your cervix is starting between 37-39 wks unless they suspect an issue. I'm not sure there's really a great reason, just to see if there's dilation or effacement.

I do not know why this is routinely done in the US. But it is normally started at about 37 weeks. I was checked at 36w6d, I was 3cm dilated and 80% effaced. Checked again at 38w6d, still same, but I then went into labor next day.

With my first, I think my OB started checking at about 36w, but I'd had preterm contractions before that. I imagine he will probably start checking earlier this time, as I've had a LEEP and he wants to keep a closer eye on things. I've already had it checked once at the perinatal center this last month.

In UK it isnt done unless is a reason and personally that is best option. VE are really not needed, they dont tell you anything. Plus can higher your % of an infection or your waters breaking.

With my midwives, they are very well known for being as less invasive as possible, which I appreciate. They will not be checking my cervix at all unless I request so.

I had mine checked at 22 weeks because I started to lose parts of my mucus plug. I don't think they do it in the UK unless there's a reason or you've requested it for peace of mind. I've had an appointment with my midwife since and she didn't ask to check me. X

My mw said she could check today (38weeks) if I was curious. I am but declined as it's not like it will tell us when things will happen.

I plan to ask my midwife when they will start checking at my next visit, however I'm not going to ask because to be truthful the longer they're not probing down there the happier I am:haha:

And as Rhapsodi said, it doesn't really tell much anyways.

I never had mine checked with my previous pregnancy so I'm not expecting to this time round :)

The only time my cervix was checked was when I was having steady contractions last wednesday and I was 1 cm and 20% effaced. I had an appointment today and the doctor said she wouldn't check me just because it wasn't necessary and it just agitates things down there. I kind of hoped she would to see if I had Dilated anymore since Wednesday or effaced more. I'm just over being pregnant at this point and really would like the hope of being maybe 2-3 cm by now.

I am in the US and my MW does a Group B Strep vaginal culture at 36 weeks. From what they told me about it is if you test positive they give you antibiotics to clear it up either before or during labor (can't remember which one for sure). The reason is the strep can be passed on to the baby when passing through the vagina. As for checking the cervix, my MW didn't check last time until 39-40 weeks. I ended up going overdue so got checked and a sweep between 40-41 weeks.

ETA: https://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancy-complications/group-b-strep-infection/

I just got that done today Ladyslipper, I think so anyways. Its the one where they swab your vagina and your rectum? (not super fun) but she was saying if it came back positive they'd have to give me penicillin when in labor.

I just got that done today Ladyslipper, I think so anyways. Its the one where they swab your vagina and your rectum? (not super fun) but she was saying if it came back positive they'd have to give me penicillin when in labor.

Yeah that's the only check I could think of before I was nearing my due date last time. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->