• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Where did you have your cannula/IV?

KellyC75

Mum of 4 <3
Reaction score
I hate the cannula/IV not only does it sting when the put it in :cry:

But it really gets in the way when you are trying to hold/feed your newborn :growlmad:

So my question is this, did you have it in your hand, if so which one & if you had a choice, would you have it in that hand again

Or...did you have it in your arm, does this work better? :shrug:

By cannula, do you mean IV? It may be another one of those words that varies from country to country :).

I've always had mine on the top of my less dominate hand. Personally, I think it would bother me more in my arm than on top of my hand....but that may be because I'm accustomed to having there ;).

Good luck :D.

By cannula, do you mean IV? It may be another one of those words that varies from country to country :).

I've always had mine on the top of my less dominate hand. Personally, I think it would bother me more in my arm than on top of my hand....but that may be because I'm accustomed to having there ;).

Good luck :D.

Thankyou, yes, by cannula I mean IV (have changed title now) :winkwink:

I know I have not had a C sec yet but have had surgeries before and the IV was always put in my arm and IMO it was much less painful than the one I had in my hand OUCH!! it was easier to shower and walk around the hospital and when they topped it up I did not feel it like I did with the one in my hand, I also got bruising on my hand but no bruising on my arm and they had a thick needle and tube in there but I would choose arm everytime :)

I had mine in my arm like inner wrist area.. it really didn't bug me much and i also had it out the next morning too.

hi. ive always had mine in my hand . and it was very painful . i didnt know it could be put in the arm . im going to ask abt this for my c/s :flower:

I ended up having mine in my foot as I have such terrible veins! the anaesthetist really struggled.

Well... I had it in a few places as I had magnesium drips for a few days and the veins kept blowing (OUCH). I had it in top of left hand, top of right, on the side of left wrist, on my wrist below palm and then another in a different vein on left hand. They also blew a few veins since they drew blood every 6 hours and I was in there for almost a week to control blood pressure w preeclampsia before the emcs.

The one under my palm on left wrist appeared after the emcs so I didn't feel it going in... I HATE needles!

I ended up having mine in my foot as I have such terrible veins! the anaesthetist really struggled.

Ohhh, the foot, I like that idea :winkwink: Now that wouldnt get in the way & your feet are numb for ages too :thumbup:

Ive had my foot and neck before now although not for C-section but for illness...kidney related and wow it hurts so Id advoid these ladies, I think they only do it in these places if the hand/arm is not possible though x

I had mine in my arm because they couldn't get one in my hand. I found it got in the way and I accidentally pulled it whilst rearranging my nightie and it bled. I'm such a wimp with needles! Made me feel squeamish!

First time round it was in my hand and second time round it was half way up my arm. Tbh it was equally annoying both times, I kept scratching my sons head when it was in my arm when I was picking him up/bfing.

I had mine in my hand. They put it in at 6 in the morning, which was a HORRIBLE way to be woken up! They had been trying to take blood from my arms but they'd done so many blood tests over the few days before, that they couldn't find anywhere new to take it from so they put the cannula thingy in my hand for that purpose and then used it for the emcs too. It was horrible and kept getting caught on things.

I had both one in each arm (they couldn't get the other back of hand) both were uncomfortable but the hand seemed more annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->