Where do I stand with work....?

curlylocks

Reaction score
I'll try and keep this short!

I have worked where I work now for over a year. When they were looking for someone to cover my maternity, my sister was looking for a job and they kindly let her 'have it' without interviewing anyone else.

My hours are 8-6 monday-friday and every other Saturday morning. As soon as I found out I was pregnant and told work, I was honest with them and said that I would not be able to come back full time due to the hours. A high up boss within the company told my boss that if I wanted to come back it would HAVE to be full time. Now I appriciate what he said as it would be very difficult to do my job role on a part-time/cut hours basis due to there needing to be continuity throughout the day/week. So I accepted this and just assumed that when I stopped getting maternity pay, I would have to hand my 'notice' in and look for another job.

I have read through my sister's contract and there is no mention at all that she is covering maternity. I thought they HAD to hold the postion open for me? Also after speaking to a friend - she was under the impression that work had to supply me with flexible working hours if I wanted to go back?

Sorry it's long. I certainly don't want to cause a fuss at work because they have been so good to me but I equally don't want to be left in the lurch!

Thanks xxx

They do have to keep your job for you, or a better/more well paid position, but they don't have to give you flexi/part time.

yeah as leighbaby said they have to hold it open, but dont HAVE to offer fexible hours after, get hold of a handbook or copy of your contract and should say it all in there!
Personally i think its a little rude of them to not offer you something afterwards...
xxxxxxxxxx

dont' really know what advice to give for i do not know.. but just wanted to say good luck and i hope everything works out for u :)

Yep they have to hold your job open for you.

As far as flexi working they have to "consider" your request for it and respond to your request in writing but they are not obliged to offer it to you ie they can say no.

www.direct.gov.uk has all the details.

Yea like the others said they have to keep open your position for you, or provide you with a better position.

You do have the right to officially request flexible working, and they have to have good reason not to accept it. Heres a link for some more information https://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/WorkingHoursAndTimeOff/DG_10029491

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->