Where Does the Newborn Sleep?

Amythyst

Reaction score
Ok, I have a mommy newbie question here... so, I give birth everything is great and then we bring the baby home.... now what?!? :)

Does a newborn sleep in the crib? We have a crib but after reading some things online I wasn't sure if they sleep there when they are days and weeks old yet?

Do I have to get a bassinet? Or one of the newborn sleeper thingies?

I'm not a big fan of baby sleeping in the bed with us - so, just hoping someone can answer my noob question. :)

My sons crib was in my room so he slept in there from day one. However, with my kids now sharing a room, and breastfeeding, my daughter will be in a bassinet in my room till she sleeps longer periods

My daughter slept in a Pack & Play in our room for the first year. It made middle of the night feedings so much easier. :)

We did a cosleeper with DD and will do the same with this one. Basically a bassinette attached to the bed. So easy with nighttime feeds. I can't imagine having to get up and go into another room every time a newborn needs to eat. Plus it's easier to keep an eye on them when they are right there.

Thanks for the responses!

So, it is "OK" for a newborn infant to sleep in the crib?

We have a "sitting room" in our master bedroom, so our nursery is in there... the baby is still relatively close to our bed, so I was hoping they could just sleep in the crib from day 1.

We've tried every version of sleeping with our kids, my oldest slept in a bassinet for a month then moved to a crib, my youngest slept with my husband for months until she slept in a playpen for a bit then a crib when we were able to buy one.

It's really up to you, sometimes the best laid plans don't always work. I think most mom's would agree that whatever they sleep in, it's easier when they are in the room lol. What you choose is best for you is what you feel is best for you!

A newborn sleeping in a crib is perfectly fine, as long as there are no bumpers or blankets or anything. Our son didn't want to sleep in his crib when he was really tiny, so we had him in a little bassinet by the bed. I think the bassinet being smaller helped him feel more secure and sleep better. By the time he was 2 months old, he was fine with the crib and now sleeps in it all night and for every nap. Good luck!

Just a head's up-- lots of moms find that they have difficulty getting their baby to settle in the crib, or decide after lo is here that they'd like to keep baby closer. No matter what your intentions are, may I gently suggest you review safe cosleeping guidelines? That way if you find yourself at 3am bringing baby to bed with you, you already know how to do it safely. :flower:
https://kellymom.com/parenting/nighttime/cosleeping/

The "official recommendation" that I've read is exactly what you're doing - a crib in the parents' room - because cribs are more regulated than bassinets, and baby should be near the parents at first. We're starting out with a co-sleeper bassinet next to the bed, and I'm hoping he'll nap in his crib so he's used to it when it's time to switch. You might want to do some bassinet research now just in case baby hates the big crib, so you have a plan B in mind already and don't have to research while tending to a newborn.

We are keeping the baby in our room for 1 week (2 at the most depending) in a pack n play. After that, the baby will be across the hall in his or her nursery in the crib and we will have the monitor. If needed, I'll go in there. We want the baby to be used to the crib and being in his or her own room.

My only fear is we are going to disrupt babys schedule at 3-4 months when we go on vacation to the east coast to visit family and friends. So baby will be in the pack n play for 2-3ish weeks.

When i first bring the baby home she will sleep in a bassinet next to me.

in a bassinets next to my side of the bed. This is where my babies sleep for at least 6 months - until they get big enough to start pulling themselves up out of the basinette.

The baby will be in a pack 'n play in our room for awhile. My son was in our room until he turned 4 months old. Then, he started waking up by every sound we made. So, we put him in his crib in his own room with a white noise machine. He didn't have any trouble going from a pack 'n play to a crib.

Co-sleeping doesn't work for me because I just can't get any sleep that way (even breastfeeding). I like the pack 'n play with a bassinet in it because I can just push it up right against my side of the bed and take the baby out or put the baby back in there without having to get up.

Our son sleeps in a moses basket, next to my husband (I throw my legs around during the night). He'll probably stay there for at least the next couple of months. We've talked about moving his cot in to our room because he's starting to outgrow his basket.

DS- slept in a crib in my room
DD1- bassinet in my room
DD2- co slept.

For us it was ..

Planned > a crib next to the bed
Reality > on my chest and only that would do.

Sleep is sleep and anyway u can manage to get it ( safely) is best. None of my babies have slept in a "normal" bed for the first couple of months. My current lo is 6 wks ( my 5th) and she sleeps in the bouncy seat next to our bed. She spends about half the night there, and half she spends sleeping on my chest in the recliner. I have found that "generally" my babies have always slept better slightly elevated, so slept in the swing, or bouncy. It's recommended babies sleep close to the parents to reduce the chance of SIDS. My last baby slept in our room for 6 months. FYI, I have never had an issue making the transition from our room to their own. And, you CANNOT spoil a newborn, or young baby. They need what they need when they need it. Sometimes that's just being held. GL! Congrats!

Guidlines here are to have baby in the same room as you for at least the first six months to reduce risk of SIDS. I will use a Moses basket until she outgrows it, just because it will give us more room in our room to not have her cot set up but we will put up her cot in our room after that. I agree with mommyjogger about making sure you're aware of safe co sleeping guidelines as well because I was also adamant I wouldn't bed share and it's amazing how quickly you can change your mind if it's the only way to get any sleep! I only bed shared occasionally with my DS as and when he needed it so don't worry if you do end up resorting to bed sharing it needn't be permanent.

What does having the baby in the same room at night have to do with preventing SIDS? To react faster if you hear something and it wakes you up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->