Where Does the Newborn Sleep?

I think so. It seems like SIDS prevention gets mixed up a lot with suffocation prevention, but either way, it's good to be near the baby and alert to what's going on.

It is really all up to what you feel comfortable with as there are many options. You can get a a rock n play sleeper (which is a little cheaper than a bassinet and has an incline for babies with reflux). Both the rock n play and bassinet you can place anywhere you want, specifically next to your bed if you want baby close but not in bed with you. Cribs are an "ok" option, but for us our crib was just too big to put her in it when she came home from the NICU. The Rock n play sleeper is much more comfortable for her. I will say, she LOVES her rock n play. The difference between the rock n play and a bassinet is that the rock n play sleeper has a rocking motion to it that does it itself or requires a mommy's touch depending on which one you get and it has an incline, so baby is not laying flat. A lot of babies don't like to lay flat on their back. You can also try a moses basket, but you have to get one of those stands for it if you want it elevated next to your bed instead of on the floor. I personally did not like the moses basket, but a lot of moms swear by it. Just like a lot of mom's swear by any of the aforementioned sleeping arrangements.

We side car the crib to my side of the bed, so he'll have his own sleeping surface, but within arms reach.

Basically like this: https://www.drmomma.org/2010/01/turn-your-crib-into-cosleeper.html

I used a bassinet in our room since DD woke numerous times in the night. She started sleeping through at 3 weeks and by 5 weeks I had her in the crib in her own room. It's what I felt comfortable doing

My baby girl sleeps in the bed with me if she is not in her rock n play sleeper.

Here is one of the cute rock n play sleepers. They have snugapuppy too for boys. I ended up getting a neutral themed one with a blue bunny in case I have a boy in the future. Mine has the auto rock feature and music. I am not sure if snugakitty or snugapuppy has the auto rock.

https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Little-Snugakitty-Deluxe-Sleeper/dp/B00F2MQ28U

DD went into her cotbed from day 1 and was in our room. She still sleeps in our room in the same cotbed at 14 months old.

We're getting a cosleeper for new baby. We haven't gotten it yet but soon hopefully!

What does having the baby in the same room at night have to do with preventing SIDS? To react faster if you hear something and it wakes you up?

No one knows what causes SIDS but incidents of SIDS have gone down since introducing certain guidelines. I think one theory is that babies sleeping near mum helps regulate their breathing when they get into deep sleep as they match their breathing to mums.

DS still sleeps in our room with us at almost 2 years old, so the new baby will definitely be in our room as well. She'll sleep in a bassinet next to our bed.

Thank you guys for all the good information.

I actually have one of those rock n play things on my baby registry
https://www.toysrus.com/product/ind...romRegistryNumber=54401119&product_skn=941714

So, I'll definitely make sure I buy it for myself.

It sucks when you don't have a lot of family and friends cause we're stuck spending all this money we don't have on baby stuff. Luckily, I got a small refund from my taxes this year and I just spent almost 500 dollars just buying linens and curtains and stuff for the baby's room.

My first the plan was bassinet then crib. He has slept in his crib maybe 2 times..his whole life. The bassinet? 2 hours coming home from the hospital :dohh: We ended up co sleeping and it definitely was the best plan for us but it isn't necessarily best for everyone! With my 2nd, if she is a better sleeper, I'd love to do the pack and play (with bassinet attached on top) for a little bit until she grows out of it then her OWN crib in her OWN room. This is a dream of mine lol. I looove co sleeping and it's much easier to nurse but...I'd also love an all night crib sleeper. Again, total dream. We will just see what happens and go with the flow :)

I had a crib set up in our room for DS#1. He ended up sleeping on my chest for the first 4 months. In our bed for the first 16 months. Then a combo of a floor bed beside our bed and in bed with us now, at 19 months. So be flexible to what baby needs.

I had a crib set up in our room for DS#1. He ended up sleeping on my chest for the first 4 months. In our bed for the first 16 months. Then a combo of a floor bed beside our bed and in bed with us now, at 19 months. So be flexible to what baby needs.

Yup. When I was pregnant with #1, I had a mini-crib set up in our room beside the bed and a plan for him to go into his own room at 6 months. I hadn't even really considered how much of an opinion a tiny newborn would have about that type of setup, lol, but he definitely had an opinion. I ended up loving cosleeping and I'm starting to feel the clock tick down, wondering whether 'tonight' will be the last time he comes to bed for cuddles and holding him extra tight to savor what's slipping away. DS2 adores his older brother. I get the feeling once DS2 is old enough to sleep with just his brother in bed, if DS1 moves into his room for good, DS2 will simply follow, so my hourglass is running out of sand much faster than I anticipated when we were planning lots of children and assuming each would sleep with us for 3ish years.

Ok, I have a mommy newbie question here... so, I give birth everything is great and then we bring the baby home.... now what?!? :)

Does a newborn sleep in the crib? We have a crib but after reading some things online I wasn't sure if they sleep there when they are days and weeks old yet?

Do I have to get a bassinet? Or one of the newborn sleeper thingies?

I'm not a big fan of baby sleeping in the bed with us - so, just hoping someone can answer my noob question. :)

Baby sleeps close to mommy. That's the important factor. If the crib is in your bedroom, it should be fine.

I never used a crib and she slept in a bassinet for about an hour the first night after she was born. At 2 years 3 months, she's still bedsharing with me. I have another baby coming in a little over a month and plan to do the same. Violet will continue to bedshare as long as she wants to. I'll just make sure I'm between her and the baby, until the baby is older.

I had a crib set up in our room before DD was born, but we never used it. After I birthed her, my midwife had us all just sleep in the same bed and she's still there at 2. ;)

We're having our second baby any time now, and we just put the mattress of our bed on the floor and a floor mattress next to that for DD. She won't be sleeping next to the baby, but she's welcome to stay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->