Where to birth at home?

Finsmummy

Mum to 2 boys
Reaction score
Last labour I wanted to be on my feet and mobile the whole time as i couldnt sit on my bottom! Im wondering if the bed is an awkward place for the midwife to deliver baby and if the living room and floor is better? Any ideas or feedback from ladies that have done it would be great!

iv been wondering the same thing, but iv decided not to have a specific place for delivering and just go with what i feel and where i end up

Birthing tub in the living room. That's what I did. Everyone was able to sit down on the couches and relax. However if you want the freedom of walking around wait as long as you can before getting into the tub because once that water surrounds you, you are not going to want out! lol But if you're not going to have water birth I would still recommend the living/family room. If you have carpet get some tarp and pin it down then put a sheet over it for comfort. Good luck!

yeah i also thought of livingroom as iv got the laminate so i was thinkin of the mess side lol get cleaned up quick as hes here lol

I have a downstairs bathroom and plan on using baths during labour, maybe even deliver there. Im not sure if i can fit a birth pool in my lounge, so will probably just plod around the lounge and bathroom

it depends on howw ur rooms are planned out, lots of women give birth on their beds.

i had corey in the frontroom with a pool, i was on my feet or my knees through out labour this time where as i was made to be on my back for my first and i could definatly feel the difference

I'd go with the flow. I've had 2 hb's and both times didn't deliver in the place I'd prepared. First time I covered the living room floor and sofa with shower curtains and blankets and ended up on all fours on my bed. With #2 I prepared my bed thinking as that was were I'd given birth last time and ended up on the bathroom floor on all fours!!
God know's where I'll end up this time...kids room or kitchen prehaps?? LOL!

I'd go with the flow. I've had 2 hb's and both times didn't deliver in the place I'd prepared. First time I covered the living room floor and sofa with shower curtains and blankets and ended up on all fours on my bed. With #2 I prepared my bed thinking as that was were I'd given birth last time and ended up on the bathroom floor on all fours!!
God know's where I'll end up this time...kids room or kitchen prehaps?? LOL!

Lol, its very true you just go with whatever at the time I guess! I just wondered where to put sheets etc. I think that answer is EVERYWHERE! x:haha:

im hoping for a waterbirth at home in my dining room. gonna buy the pool after my streb b results ( thats if im not a carrier) :(

i intended on giving birth in the living room but i had a bath not long before she was born & i didn't have time to get downstairs again so i delivered in my bedroom. we have a lot of floor space so i nealt on the floor ad bent over with my arms resting on my bed iykwim kind of hard to explain. but it was a very good position i found, for comfort & gravity xx

i intended on giving birth in the living room but i had a bath not long before she was born & i didn't have time to get downstairs again so i delivered in my bedroom. we have a lot of floor space so i nealt on the floor ad bent over with my arms resting on my bed iykwim kind of hard to explain. but it was a very good position i found, for comfort & gravity xx

i was in that position in the pool when i had corey. it was very effective lol

When I had my 1st I was made to get on the bed before delivering though I wanted to be stood or knealt down as i had been all the way through. As if this helps going against gravity; midwives can be irritating at times x

Birth where you feel is right at that time. I thought I'd birth in the pool, but I gave birth standing in my living room. That just felt what was right at that moment and what my body wanted to do.

It's my intention to give birth in the pool in the living room but who knows where it will actually be on the day. The only places i'm pretty sure i won't be delivering are the kitchen, because we'll have the dog crated in there and with the dining table as well there won't be any space, and our bathroom, which is sooo teeny it would be totally impractical :roll: so hopefully neither of those places!

Hi

My third child was born at home on our living room floor. You can read my birth story if you click on my link in my sig so I won't go into it all here, but basically I knew I wanted to be upright throughout which I was, and I wasn't sure what position I wanted to be in giving birth so I went with the midwives' suggestion of leaning over my birth ball and it was fantastic :happydance:

xx

The midwife isn't getting the baby out. You are. Go where YOU are comfortable. The midwife should accommodate you - that's her job :)

My preference? Catch my OWN baby. :D

we're also shooting for in the birth pool, in the living room. my bedroom is upstairs, so i don't know how likely it will be for me to want to go back and forth b/t the 2 rooms

The midwife isn't getting the baby out. You are. Go where YOU are comfortable. The midwife should accommodate you - that's her job :)

My preference? Catch my OWN baby. :D

Very brave lady lol! You are inspiring :)

For my 1st birth i was in my living room crouched down with my arms resting on the sofa. Being in a sat up position made it so easier for pushing. I aim to do same sort of thing with my 2nd birth :D hope this helped xx

You may find that the best laid plans fall by the wayside - a labouring woman occupies a very different headspace to one who isn't and perhaps keeping your options open until you are in the moment would be wise?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->