Where were your toddlers??

amandad192

mum to 2
Reaction score
I'm just wondering what any toddler mummies did or are planning to do when having a homebirth in regards to childcare?

I've always been against homebirth. Surley it's better to be in hospital where all the medical equipment is if it's needed?
But the more I think about a homebirth...the better it sounds.
With Liam I had to be prepped for a c-section, but fortunately he came out via ventouse while we were in theatre.
It took them a long time to get me ready for a c-sec, even though I'd already had an epidural, so all the prep work for a c-sec could be done in an ambulance on the way to hospital should anything go wrong.

I'm also thinking OH can then look after Liam and be there for me if I need him, so although it will be just me and the midwife in the room I will have OH their if I feel I really need him and when I start pushing he can come into the room and not miss out on the birth.
Or I could get somebody to come over and do the bulk of childcare but Liam will have daddy their if needed.

How did you/will you plan childcare for your toddler when having a homebirth??

He was upstairs in bed. I gave him a bath and put him to bed between ctx LOL.

Mum was here and she stayed to take care of him when I had to transfer or in case he woke up if I stayed at home.

Because my eldest was old enough to decide for herself I asked her if she wanted to be there. She said 'errr no!' as I'm sure many 14/15 year olds would (this she now admits she regrets) and it happened to be a night she was staying at my parents anyway. So because she was there my youngest (16 months at the time) went too. If we had anymore I'd have them there and just call my parents of sister to have them if we needed to go anywhere although my eldest is now almost 17 so under certain circumstances she could look after them.

The families who I've worked with have just had a wait and see approach knowing they could call someone in emergency to either the house or meet us at hospital. No one has transferred in so far and the toddlers have just slept through it all. Their faces when they get up to their new sibling being there are priceless :cloud9:

mine are hopefully gonna be asleep in bed upstairs lol, part of the reason for a homebirth is because we dont have family here to take them for an unspecified amount of time considering it could be just a week before christmas and most all our friends go away for Christmas lol, thankfully my eldests Godmother will be in the UK for Christmas this year so will be able to come take them out for breakfast and the day if baby hasnt arrived in the night

My mum had travelled 250 miles to take care of my toddler for the week to give me some rest. She was due to go home on Friday 13th my EDD.

We had a screaming row and got my labour going on the thursday so she was around thankfully! lol

lol yeah my mum cant even travel to us shes in Australia lol and still has 2 kids of her own at home too lol

Fortunately seth was at nursery! I dropped him off in the morning (in labour) & would have been able to pic him up in the eve too as molly was born at lunchtime, unfortunately tho I had to transfer & stay overnight so it never happened.

We had said that if it happened at night we'd let him sleep, if he woke up we'd get MIL to take him xx

Planning on Kyle being here, Am going to eek put a Tv and Dvd player on the landing so he can see it from his room if his awake... If his asleep thats great... I have family close enough wh drive should I have to transfer, Also after 4pm ish on weekdays my friend who lives next to us is home and kyles love her just as much as she loves spending time with him.. Shes also a teacher so fully CRB,First aid etc :haha:

mine were there and will be this time too, they might be awake they might be asleep i dont know but they will be there, or playing out, or whatever at the time!

My 3yo was in bed. I had my mum on stand by in case he woke up and was upset or a distraction to me. But he slept thru it.

Last time I called my Mum and she came and picked up ds1. That's the plan this time unless it's in the middle of the night in which case I just hope they sleep through it! If not then I know I can call my Mum (she's about 20 mins drive away). I guess we're kinda going with the wait and see and hope it all turns out ok plan! I do love the idea of them waking up to their baby sister being here.. that would be perfect :cloud9:

^^ it really is amazing all getting cuddled up together after baby is born :cloud9:

im having my mum come around to sort out imogen, just incase OH is busy blowing up the pool or something ha ha (got to keep him busy!!) but hopefully it will happen over night and she will be in bed. also she goes to nursery on a tuesday all day (thur half a day) so would be convenient during these times as well ha ha.
my brother and SIL live about an hour away and said they will come straight over if we need any help as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->