which cloth diapers should I get

goldstns

Reaction score
I was using g-daipers size small and baby girl has grown out of them and DH didn't like them enough to want to guy the next size up. I have the white inserts in both small and large. I wouldn't mind just re-using the inserts if they work in a different cloth diaper (maybe a pocket). Therefore, I just have to by shells. Does anyone know if they work in something else? I would be interested in a one size diaper.

I was looking at the bumgenius ... would these work?

I also might like charlie banana because price seems pretty good.

also what about Alvababy?

Also, with a pocket diaper, do you have to wash the whole diaper after she wears is or just have to wast the insert? If you have to clean the whole thing then what is the difference between pocket and all in ones?

I have to say, I really like my one size charlie bananas! You could definitely stuff them with your current inserts (or prefolds, or whatever) & they come with 2 inserts, a small and a large (at least mine did, I ordered the 6 pack - 6 pocket diapers and 12 inserts).

If you stuff the insert inside, then yes you'd have to wash the whole diaper. Or you can lay the insert on top and change just the insert - if your insert is a material that can touch baby's skin, like a natural fiber or disposable, not microfiber which is the insert that comes with the CB diapers (charlie banana does make a good disposable insert to lay on top).
The difference between a pocket and all in one is the drying time! My CB pockets dry really quickly, but my all in ones take forever!

so the inserts we have were all passed down to us. How do I know that they are safe to be on her skin? I used them straight on her skin with the g-diapers and they seemed fine (she doesn't even have diaper rash).

Your inserts are fine against skin :)

I would look at buying hybrid outers/shells if you want to reuse your inserts (and I would), not pockets. gNappies/Diapers are a type of hybrid but they're SO fussy and I didn't find them all that reliable. I much prefer Flips (which are made by the same people as bumGenius and have much the same fit), but there are lots of good options now e.g. Grovia hybrids, Blueberry Capri, Planet Wise Covers. Generally a hybrid consists of a waterproof outer with flaps in the front and/or back to hold the insert in place - none of the silly fussing around with pouches like you get with the gs! A lot of 'normal' covers have flaps to tuck inserts under but you actually don't need them so you can use pretty much any wrap/cover that isn't baggy around the bum e.g. you could use Thirsties Duo Covers, Blueberry Coveralls, Rumparooz etc and just lay the insert in it.

You could buy pockets, but if you already have the inserts you'll be buying full nappies as pretty much all pockets come with inserts included. Why pay extra? Also, you can't use a pocket outer for a second time - some say you can lay the insert on top and just change that but in reality, as soon as the back of the insert gets damp you need to change the whole nappy as the pocket nappy's lining will get wet too. Unless it's wipe clean (which pockets aren't), it will not be very nice.

The difference between a pocket and an AIO is mostly about the laundry. Pockets come apart for the wash so you can be certain everything is getting thoroughly cleaned (although I think AIOs in modern washing machines are absolutely fine) and then as everything isn't stuck together they usually dry a lot quicker than AIOs. They're a bit more customisable too, as you can add whatever inserts you want to the pocket. If you want to boost an AIO, you normally just have to lay a booster on top of the inside. For actually using them on baby, they're more or less the same - both a one-part system.

Don't buy lots of anything, I'd just get one of each type you like the look of and try for a week then buy more if you get on with them. Also don't feel you need to stick to just one brand!

Rachel- that was extremely helpful. Thx! I'm going to look into the flips and others u recommend!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->