Which kinds of fish are okay?

Pinkie88

Reaction score
Is a fish sandwich from a restaurant safe? Mcdonalds and/or Wendy's fish sandwiches?

Pretty sure you just have to avoid those which have high levels of mercury. Sure fast food fish would be fine (in moderation of course as isnt the same as eating fresh fish.)

Is a fish sandwich from a restaurant safe? Mcdonalds and/or Wendy's fish sandwiches?

Honestly, most fish is fine in small doses. Even the super-high mercury stuff (like canned tuna) won't harm you or your baby, as long as you eat less than 6 ounces per week.

There's a great post on the Pregnant Chicken blog about this. (Google "Pregnant Chicken" and "fish", since I can't post hyperlinks yet).

A fish sandwich from a fast-food place should be fine every once in a while. Just don't overdo it.

As an aside, salmon is an excellent choice when pregnant. It's high in Omega-3 fatty acids (good for baby's brain development) and low in mercury.

Good luck!

Almost all fish is fine. Especially white fish. Eating fish is good for you and the baby. you can have white fish whenever you want.

The ones to avoid and/or limit are the "predatory" sorts of fish that eat other fish. These are higher in mercury. Examples include shark and swordfish. You can't get them in a Mc Filet'o'fish anyway!

Tuna fish (canned rather than fresh) is fine in limited quantities. A couple of servings a week would be within the limits, although I don't know the exact amount. Skipjack tuna is lower in mercury than some other varieties.

Uncooked fish like sushi is not recommended.

Honestly, fish is usually fine. Obviously don't go overboard with eating it, but a fast food fish sandwich should be perfectly fine :flower:

I'd say limit urself to one-two fish meals a month personally. I LOVE tuna and could live off it, I can not cut it completely out of my diet its not going to happen. Just stay away from high levels of mercury.

My doctor said that its the large fish that contain the most mercury, like tuna and swordfish, but she said eating it once a week is ok.

Don't eat shark, marlin and swordfish, and limit the amount of tuna you eat to:

• no more than two tuna steaks a week (about 140g cooked or 170g raw each), or
  • four medium-sized cans of tuna a week (about 140g when drained)
These types of fish contain high levels of mercury that can damage your baby's developing nervous system. Don't eat more than two portions of oily fish a week. Oily fish includes fresh tuna (but not canned tuna), salmon, mackerel, sardines and trout.

Raw shellfish

Eat cooked rather than raw shellfish as they can contain harmful bacteria and viruses that can cause food poisoning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->