Whn did you start to drop milk feeds while BLW?

lindypops

Lin, Si and Eve
Reaction score
What the question says, really.

I'm going back to work when LO is just on ten months old - 6 weeks of full-time before school hols, then I go back part-time in September.

I'm getting bored of expressing and think it will be hard for 6 full weeks, so am hoping that by the time she's 10 months old I'll only be doing morning and afternoon/evening/night feeds (well, hopfeully not these...).

Is this likely? When did your LO stop feeding so much in the day? Having come this far exclusively bf I don't want to give her formula if I can help it.

We have started letting her play around with food this week and intend to keep going with it from now, but she (fairly obviously) isn't eating anything yet.

When I say afternoon feeds, I mean after 4pm, so there'll be a gap between 7.40am and 4-4.30pm when I will be away from her.

Thanks!

Hey Lindy! Nice to see you!

Obviously we haven't been doing BLW very long so I can't answer your questions about milk feeds but I just wanted to say Hi & bump your post up!

We started with G about 2 weeks ago - the first week we just did really little tastes but this week he has really got into it especially eveing meals, :)

Glad to hear you've managed to sort a part-time solution even if its not until the next academic year.

We FF but it took just under 3 months for her to drop a feed and start eating a significant amount of food.

i think every child is different i kno my little boy dropped his milk very quickly as he preferred food to his milk after 6 months old babies can have less milk because of food intake just try and getting in 2 a routine when harley was 10 months old he was only havin a bottle before bed as he was on 3 meals aday and had water or juice throughout the day it all about trial and error
hope this helps

We reduced Ruby's formula after about 3m of BLW. Everyone's different but you may find LO is down to morning and evening feeds by 10m.

I think all babies are definitely different but we noticed Aisling dropping her mid morning feed just over 2 months after starting weaning (at about 8 months old). We still have a feed at 2.30/3pm now.

We've been doing a combo of BLW and traditional (I spoon feed him some baby cereal and mash up other foods etc. as well as giving him the finger food) for about three weeks now.

I can already see a reduction in the amount of milk he takes (breastfed 7am-ish, 10.30am-ish, bottle (formula or EBM) 2pm, breastfed 5pm and 7pm). The 5pm and 7pm are both quite small feeds now, as is the 10.30am (although being mainly breastfed it can be hard to tell if he's just getting more efficient, but I do feel that he's taking less).

It's my plan to get him to the stage of 7am breastfeed/11am formula /3pm formula /7pm breastfeed once he's a little more established on food, around 7 months.

(Just by the way, I was doing lots of pumping since he was born (for various reasons - oversupply for the first month, then later pumped to increase supply...) so a lot of his bottles are now breastmilk from the freezer anyhow. You could try to establish a little stash if you wish to avoid formula?)

Thanks guys.

Sarah, I do have a stash already - I just can't get as much out as I used to, so she eats a load and I replace it with a bit less each time :( But i Have found it v useful.

Thanks guys.

Sarah, I do have a stash already - I just can't get as much out as I used to, so she eats a load and I replace it with a bit less each time :( But i Have found it v useful.

I thought my stash was huge, but as the feeds are bigger these days, it won't last long! Hours of work in the freezer, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->