Who Decides?? (Grandparents)

I'd think of course the grandparents-who else? The parents? That makes no sense

Both my kids know each name-there are six different names and it has never been a problem!!

Surely the grandparents get to choose what they want to be called, with the secondary consideration being what the grandchildren *actually* call them.

If/when I become a grandmother, I do not think it will really fly with me if my DIL decides she wants me to be called Boopsie or Nan-nan or Granny because that's what she likes best. :dohh:

Yeah, I didn't have a 'grandma' growing up, I had 'nana' and 'oma'. No idea how my child is going to call my parents and DH's two sets of parents.

Mine have all called dibs. My parents- mom mom and pop pop. FIL and gf are pap and Mimi and mil and her husband are grandmother and grandfather last name. I think the last set is odd, but apparently it's the tradition in their family, so be it.

We say Nan or Nana and I think that was started by MIL. Lo's great grandma is 'GeeGee'.

My husbands parents both died a long time ago, we refer to them as gran and grandad. My parents chose to be called granny and papa. My own gran, who died before my kids were born, is referred to as gaga and my other gran who has since passed is great- granny. My husband lost his gran after 1st baby was born - we called her great-nan.

My mom is choosing what she will be called, however I did have to tell her No on her first choice (Nana) since that is what my grandmother is called, so that would be confusing. I told her she was being an identity thief, stealing her mother's name! ;)

She has been kind enough to run names by me as she thinks of them, but really I'll let her call herself whatever she wants as long as it's not super crazy.

I've actually not thought about this.

My in-laws have always been grandma and poppa to their other grandchildren (my sisters-in-law have 3 a piece).

For my parents this will be their first grandchild. To me, my grandparents have always been grandma and grandpa because that's what my parents referred to them as in relation to me. I may have to ask my mother what she'd prefer. Two "grandma"s could be confusing. She may have to choose some other form.

grandparents pick as far as I knew :shrug: my mom is meme, my dad is papa, his parents are nana and papa, and his dad is pawpaw. All the same for all the kids.

My mum wanted to be granny and my mil wanted to be gran.

It doesn't bother me what they get called but I always refer to mil as granny when talking to LO, it's just habit because that's what I called my granparents. It doesn't seem to bother her though.

To be completely honest, I can't even remember how my kids started calling their grandparents the names they're called. :dohh: My kids are the first grandchildren on both sides of the family, so there wasn't anything to really go off of. I think my son had a lot to do with the choosing of names.

-My mom and stepdad: Nana Sandie and Papa
-My dad and stepmom: Grandpa Roger and Ronni (maybe Grandma Ronni, to be honest, I'm not entirely sure...I don't spend hardly any time around my stepmom)
-MIL and FIL: Grandma Kris and Grandpa Bob
-My grandparents: Great Nana and Papa
-FOBs grandparents: Great grandma and Great grandpa.

Kind of off topic, but my son pretty much got to decide what we called his aunts and uncles. For example, he calls my SIL TeeTee, because when he learned to talk, Auntie Tracy was too hard for him to pronounce and it just kind of blended into TeeTee.

I chose and mine call theirs nanny. Having said that, their grandparents sign cards as granny or nan. My mum is nanny Kate and she signs things and refers to herself the same. My eldest isn't my husbands child and she finds it confusing referring to her sisters grandparents. She tends to just call them Marks mum and dad lol and we don't see them much anyway xxx

My parents are known as Nanny or Nana and Papa by my DD, by my brothers kids Nanny Sue (because SIL's mum is Nanny Barb), and Dawa (not sure how this happened but the first grandchild started using it instead of grandad when he was learning to talk).

My DHs parents on the other hand refuse to go by any form of Grandma or Grandad at all, and want only to be called their first names. I do find this typically pompous and un-cosy of them but I guess it's their perogative. They are on the other side of the world now so thankfully it doesn't wind me up much anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->