Who Decides?? (Grandparents)

My mum is Ninny (said she had a dream she got called ninny Lynny) so that's where that's come from. My dad is taid (welsh for grandad). MIL is nanna as that's what her other grandchildren call her, her partner is uncle Paul, noway is he getting a grandparent title. FIL is grandad.
My dads mum wanted to be called nanna by me but when I started talking I called her nain (welsh for nanna) so sometimes it doesnt matter what they want to be called, as they'll get called something else by the children anyway.

My MIL announced what she wanted to be - without asking us or anything... it's REALLY annoyed me the way she's done it - and since she's picked the variant that doesn't flow easily in our accent/dialect - I've ignored her!

My MIL has done the same thing and I HATE what she has chosen. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with being a grandparent. On top of that its something her family uses for her and when my dh and I were engaged she told me I couldn't call her that (not that I wanted to) but now she expects my daughter to call her that and me to use it to refer to her?! I think not.

Pass on the 2 grandma, but the grandads will prob be grandpa Norman (OHs grandad) then grandad Andrew and grandad tony. GG for OHs grandma, grandad James for my grandad and grand nona (grandma in Italian) for my nona :). However we're not wanting SMIL to be anything so she'll be Annette. We wanted to be able to decide as our families are huge and it would get so confusing

I think it's odd that anyone would want to inflict a name or form of address on anyone else. Grandparents should feel free to get their grandkids to call them whatever they are most comfortable with. I called my Mum's parents Granny and Grampa but my Dad's mother preferred to go by her first name so we just called her that. When I was married, my in-laws preferred that their grandchildren call them 'Ma' and 'Pa'. Unless you give the grandparents naming rights to your baby, I don't see why you should expect to be able to choose how they are going to addressed.
Exception - if they make a suggestion that is totally inappropriate as my Dad did - he suggested his grandchildren call him 'The Old B@stard'. He was kidding, though. Mostly. :haha:

There are 3 sets of grandparents for my baby and they all decided themselves what they want to be called. I asked them what they want to be called, it doesnt make any difference to me. At the moment she calls everyone and everything 'dada' anyway!!!!

I let them decide, it's not a big deal to me. Both sides are called grandma/grandpa, but on my DH's side it's in Italian.

My grandma wanted to be called buby so she trained her since birth! It did stick. My parents Are called papa (mispronounced grandpa) and Tata (mispronounced safta Hebrew for grandma) after failed attempts at grandma. So point is baby chooses what he will call you. I wasn't going to argue with my grandma what baby will call her as being called what she wanted brought her so much pleasure. Why take it away?

We've asked the family and that was what they said they wanted but I'm glad they let us choice :).

With my mom (dad is not around parents are divorced) we were calling her granny... BUT my daughter started calling her Honey :)))) so she is now honey! My inlaws are grandma and grandpa and that was just kinda started by hubby and I telling her who they were.. She has a meemaw (my grandma), a ggma (husbands grandma), and another grandpa ( my grandpa). I assume my other children will follow with the names.

My mum is nanna (family thing to call maternal line nanna & pappa), my dad and his wife are grandad and grandma C (they chose as we aren't close at all). My OH's mum is Granny and his dad would have been Grandpa. Everyone chose their own really, names weren't forced on to them they just went with what they wanted and we're happy with the choices.

Normally grandparents chose BUT if your not comfy with what they pick then its your right to say no. it is your child after all!

My mum and dad are nanna and grandad. Thats what they wanted and what they are to the older grandchildren and im happy with that. My Nanna is also just nanna to ds.

fil is grandad, mil is anne when i refer to her with my son (I refuse to call her nanna/grandma as we have a very bad relationship and she actually disowned me and my son before he was even born.. before trying to siddle her way back in). She tries to get him to call her nanna (he doesnt talk properly yet so its win win at the moment). MIL told us when we were pregnant that our son was to call my FIL "Da" And i point blank refused. Im sorry but the only Da in my sons like is his dad. I will not have him calling a grandparent dad.

When my nieces/nephews were learning to speak they called my dad GanGan as they could't get grandad out. Iv no idea when my 3 year old is going to start talking but i think he will be ready to say grandad fully. x

I let them choose, it is there name after all. They all made it clear terms they really didnt like, and fortunantly they all choose something different.

So we got grandad and granny (my parents)
Grumps and JoJo (oh parents)
Grandma and grandpa (oh grandparents)
Nan (my nan)
Papa (my step mum dad)

Lot to remember.

We let them chose. PIL chose Grandad and Nanna. My parents chose Granny and Grandad, but my oldest (first grandchild) couldnt say it for a long time so GeeGee and Nandad has stuck.

We called paternal grandparents Nan and Grandad, and maternal was Gran and Grandad. We also had Great-Granny which is what my children refered to my Gran when she was alive also.

My mum and dad were already granny and granda to my niece, and my MIL was Nanny to my husband's niece and nephew, so we just used the same. They are used to the names and are happy with them, plus I like that they are different so there's no confusion for Eva as to who's who.

I personally would let them decide what they want to be called themselves, although within reason. My friend's parents decided they wanted to be called Paw and Gran Gran - I kinda think that's a bit OTT, think i would have overruled them personally.

My Mum is 'Nanny' (her choice) and her partner is just 'Clive'
My Dad is 'Grandad' and his partner is 'Nanny Ann' (their choice)
My MIL is 'Nanny Wendy' (her choice) although up until a few months ago she was Nanny *surname* but now decided she doesnt like this :dohh:
My FIL is 'Grandad in the big house' or 'Grandad far away' as he lives in Oman in a huuuge house. lol
My Nan & Grandad are called 'Nanny Darling' and 'Grandad Darling' as when my DD (the first GGC) was little my Nan always used to call her 'Darling' and so my DD decided on those names <3
My partners Grandmothers are called 'Gran *surname' and 'Nanny Eileen' (their choice)

They decide..
My mother is grandma
DD's Paternal g/parents are Nannie and Pappy
MIL/FIL are Nanna Jan and Grandad
OH's grandparents are Nanna and Grandad

They decide.

hubby's parents are Yiayia and Grandad
my mum and her husband are Nanny and Gramps
my dad is Grandpa and his wife is just Joy, she says she feels too young to be a grandma and she's too conscious of the fact she's not our mum

My mum is nanna Jayne his mum nanna Ellen although so long as they aren't in the same room as one another (which is 98% of the time) they are just called nanna
However my nanna LO great nanna is nanna sadie all the time

I have let our family members choose - my Mum and stepdad will be called Nana and Pops, OH's parents are Grandma and Granddad (already have other grandchildren and it's what they prefer) and my Dad will be called Granddad. My Dad lives 300 miles away and generally has quite little to do with me, and I suspect that our relationship will come to a standstill in the next year as it's been brewing for a long time - he has let me down continually since my Mum and Dad split up 20 odd years ago and I have decided that he will not be allowed to hurt my child in the same way. I digress, sorry! Point is that I wasn't particularly bothered what he called himself as he will have so little to do with our child/children, or nothing at all if he continues to act this way. I was particularly keen for my stepdad to have a different name to the other two as he has been brilliant to me, and my mum was never keen on Grandma anyway.

As OH and I didn't have strong feelings on the whole matter (apart from my stepdad's name being more distinctive) we just let them all work it out themselves. However, I understand that some people may prefer some names over others etc, but personally I think that it's nice for them to pick the name that they will be called for the rest of their lives! Maybe just remind them that children will probably end up picking their own name though...! X

Initially the way we decided is that i would get to choose what the kids call my parents. And of course i went with what i called my grandparents, "grammy" and "pappy". And then DH got to pick what they called his parents and of course he wanted to go with what he knew his grandparents by which was "PapPap" and "Grandma". This worked out great, for the most part, except DHs parents are a bit older (given DHs age) and his mom was insecure with being called "Grandma" :wacko: so she is called "Nana"...whatever makes her happy i guess haha. i think she is in denial about her age (even though no one else seems to care :dohh:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->