Whooping Cough Vaccine Poll

meeky81

Can't wait to be a mummy!
Reaction score
Hey Ladies

Really not sure what to do for the best....I feel very uneasy about the lack of research/knowledge of side effects...

Wanted to see how many people have/haven't had it?!

xx

I had it, can't see any good reason not to try to protect my baby :thumbup:

Had it last Friday and my arm hasn't fallen off yet. People have reported a decrease in fetal movement but it hasn't affected Bertie's midnight disco-bopping and he's been happily punching me in the foof all day.

I did get a wee bit fluey yesterday night - but I'm alright today. Usually vaccines wipe me out for at least 3 days as I always react with them. Top tip - if you do decide to get it (your choice!) get in done on the side you don't sleep on.

Read the OFFICIAL websites of both the NHS (all of UK, including Scotland and NI - or whichever one is relevant to you) and the HPA as I think there's been a lot of weirdness on the internet to do with life-immunity, it being withdrawn or not available etc which contradicts all the stuff I've been hearing from all my mates who work within the NHS - and also I'm a boffin that looks up in the scientific literature (eg PubMed). I'm not saying that people are makng stuff up - but I do know that stuff gets lost in translation and also - I too - could also be wrong.

It's true it hasn't been tested on pregnant women... erm... but NOTHING WILL EVER BE DIRECTLY... Please remember this. I cannot envisage any substance testing on us that would pass any Ethics Committee. Originally the vaccination programme was due to be ended in March 2013, but they powers that be have decided to extend the observation period until October, as last years peak infections occurred within the months of July/August. Also (grapevine rumour mill without a shred of proper evidence) I heard that the powers that be are fairly satisfied and happy with what they've seen so far although they are worried about the uptake in some areas.

It's one of those things with anything that's prophylactic... you can't prove it was a good thing to do; all you can do is hope that it's not a bad one.

Remember... your life, your arm, your baby. Your choice.

Is there a point where you can no longer have it (so many weeks?), I keep meaning to book an appointment for it, and my midwife hasn't mentioned it yet. I'm not able to get around easily at the moment, but it's something I think is worth a little bit of walking pain for sure!

According to this

https://www.hpa.org.uk/webw/HPAweb&HPAwebStandard/HPAweb_C/1317136400742

They recommend you having it between 28 and 38 weeks as placental antibody transfer is peak after 34 weeks and it takes 2 weeks for peak antibody production to happen in the mother. 32 weeks is considered optimal.

But don't just take my word for it - please read it for yourself.

I called up my Doctors surgery and booked it through the practice nurse. You don't have to wait for midwives as usually appointment spaces are pretty booked up where I am.

I've had mine and I was fine. A slight sore arm for a few days, but bump was kicking me just as much as always.

I have mine tomorrow. Figured that the mw wouldn't suggest it if it wasn't safe x

I haven't had it but I didn't know it existed until I saw threads on here about it! I will speak to my consultant next Tuesday about it thou :) x

Just had mine about 30 minutes ago. It also is polio, diphtheria, tetanus as well as the whooping cough. Dont know if thats the same everywhere.

To me if it protects baby when he is born it is worth it. Whooping cough is deadly in newborns, a few days of pain for me is nothing.

I was also told as you have it when you are a baby you shouldnt get side effects bar a sore arm x

I understand where you're coming from - I had mine last week but I did a lot of tooing and froing on the decision as I hated the idea of it. In the end I decided that they wouldn't be recommending it if it wasn't safe, its been arond for a long time, they get it at 8 weeks anyway and that I wouldn't have been able to forgive myself if he got whooping cough and I could have prevented it. Cried when I made the decision still though.
I second the advice of a PP Top tip - if you do decide to get it (your choice!) get in done on the side you don't sleep on.

Had mine last week. I am personally all for vaccines in general. Wooping cough has been bad near where I live and I'm not taking a chance my newborn could get it.

I've had it :hi:

Got nothing but a sore arm for a few days, small price to pay :)

It's never been mentioned to me over here...should I be asking about it??? x

I've been undecided about it, but I talked to my midwife at my last appt (27 weeks) and ended up getting it. Only had a sore arm for a couple of days, the worst of it being the evening of.

Aside from baby getting immunities, I do wonder if DH should get it as well. Something I plan on asking my midwife at my next appointment.

Other than that, it's a personal decision that you have to make for you and your baby.

For me Im not keen on the long term unknowns especially since its so new to take during the prenatal period. so will not be getting it. :argh: plus I had it justs two yrs ago before leaving the hospital I birthed DS1 at. It's true immunities don't last a lifetime but it is supposed to last at least ten yrs, so I should be fine. If we're going to get it, I would wait until after labor but we don't vaccinate anymore so I won't be getting it regardless

There is no answer for me. I had mine within the last 5 years so I can't have another one yet.
But u did have my flu one.

I had mine. If its gonna protect my little boy I will have it. Ive not really heard of any side effects. As in dangerous ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->