Whooping cough vaccine??

Thumbelina 3

1 child of 2 years 9month
Reaction score
Has anyone here had it?im just over 30weeks and am suppose to be having the jab tomorrow but have stupidly done some reading on it and hear some people believe it can cause problems with baby and even still birth so I'm now freaking out. I didn't have it with my now 3 year old daughter but I wanted it this time as my 3 year old goes to pre school and constantly catches everything!so worried it will pass to baby! Baby due end of March if that makes a difference?and I have a nasty cold at the moment but surely that won't matter?

Has anyone here had it?im just over 30weeks and am suppose to be having the jab tomorrow but have stupidly done some reading on it and hear some people believe it can cause problems with baby and even still birth so I'm now freaking out. I didn't have it with my now 3 year old daughter but I wanted it this time as my 3 year old goes to pre school and constantly catches everything!so worried it will pass to baby! Baby due end of March if that makes a difference?and I have a nasty cold at the moment but surely that won't matter?

I had the whooping cough injection at 28 weeks and I was really run down and had flu like symptoms before I got it and it was absolutely fine. I would rather be safe than sorry. The only down side for me was a very painful arm for approx a week afterwards, but this is normal. x

What you need to do is look at facts, not hearsay, so I suggest researching and looking for scientific evidence rather then people trying to justify why something terrible happened and using the vaccination as something to blame.

I read up and made an informed choice for myself and decided to have the vaccine, you need to do the same for yourself based on own pregnancy.
Xx

For example last pregnancy I didn't get the flu jab and I didn't get the flu vaccine for ds. This pregnancy as I was high risk in other areas and getting the flu would have made it worse I got the flu jab and also whooping cough due to high numbers of it in the area and not wanting to have a possible prem baby with whooping cough.

Xx

My husband and I got our TDAP vaccines a little over a week ago. I did not have any adverse affects and baby is doing well. My husband did have a slight reaction to the shot and felt a bit icky for a few days, but it went away.

Hi there! I had it when I was pregnant with my DD, and will also be getting it with this baby, supposed to go sometime this week. Vaccines are hard because there really is a lot of unknown.
People read these studies that really don't have enough research to them and then it makes it even more difficult. Like with the measles. People stopped having their children get the Measles vaccines because there were "studies" where a Dr believed it caused autism. Well that guy isn't a Dr anymore and thanks to him there has been several outbreaks of Measles here in the U.S.

Talk to your Dr about your concerns and what you read about the vaccines. I'm sure she/he has information to reassure you and help you decide what is the best for you. You know how Google is, you search "why is my nose running" and then you've self diagnosed yourself with brain cancer and some off the wall disease that hasn't even been discovered yet!

Sorry for the novel, but I totally understand where your coming from, vaccines make me so nervous and I always have to ask my MW and pediatrician 94873597 questions lol In the end you just have to do what you think is right for you.

Thankyou so much for you reassuring replies. I had the flu jab and was fine after that. Just shouldn't of read anything in the Internet. I'm sure all will be fine. I'd never forgive myself if I didn't get it then my baby got whooping cough before the 8 week jabs specially with my constant snotty 3 year old spreading her lovely germs to everyone!

I'm due mine next week and I also have a germ factory toddler so I want to make sure baby isn't at risk before her 8 week jabs

I got the TDAP at 28 weeks. The only bad thing for me is that it makes your arm really sore for a couple of days, but other than that I felt fine. I wanted it because I like the idea that it gives your baby some immunity until they can get the shot themselves. I work in a hospital and have already been around a couple of babies who have whooping cough, so I think I'm more inclined to get vaccines knowing I'll be exposed to so many things.

Read up from legitimate sources and let that guide you. You can also ask your doctor as many questions as you want!

I came to the conclusion that the benefits were much higher than the risks and had it. Zero problems beyond a sore arm for about 24 hours.

I came to the conclusion that the benefits were much higher than the risks and had it. Zero problems beyond a sore arm for about 24 hours.

Totally agree with this! Especially when the "risks" have not been proven!

I had my whooping cough vaccine on Monday which went against what my parents wanted. As a child I was vaccinated against everything apart from whooping cough because we have a family history of epilepsy and it was thought it could cause epilepsy in those with family history. I am a biologist myself and I did loads of research into it and I spoke to both my midwife and doctor at length about it. I was convinced that it was safe for me to have and I knew if my lil man got whooping cough and it was safe for me to prevent it then I would never forgive myself. My parents are still not convinced but they relented as it was my choice. Read as much of the scientific research as you can and don't be afraid to talk to your doc or midwife to help you come to your decision.

I haven't gotten it :/ my son had a severe reaction to dtap, ended up in the hospital, it was horrid and I'm terrified of a reaction like that while pregnant.... I think if we didn't experience that I wouldn't have felt so against it.... I also declined the flu shot because of my past experiences .... I had no shots with first son and he was born perfectly healthy, I had flu shot with my second son and he was born with severe issues, we lived in the hospital , by 12 months he had 6 endoscopy/biopsies of esophagus , 1mri, and 1 surgery on his head (cancerous birth spot) .... Was on Rx formula til 2.5 from Gerd and digestive issues....and food allergies .....
Terrified of everything this time around :(
I have fully vaccinated my children.... I'm not an anti vaxer, but I choose to spread them out at their apts and i am soley choosing to avoid them while preg :/ praying this is a good decision....

Had whooping cough and flu jabs on Monday. No side affects apart from a sore arm which is fine now. I didn't have them with my first pregnancy but it wasn't the season for flu and I wasn't offered the whooping cough. My daughter is fine and never had flu nor whooping cough. They were offered to me this time so I went for it. Just do what you think is best x

I got mine 2 days ago and doing absolutely fine! I'm 35 weeks. I am an RN and have seen first hand what a sick little newborn can go through and I will NOT take the chance to put my little babe through that. If the risks and harm were that big, they would not recommend it.

I got it with my now two year old and am getting next week with this baby. Dr Google is a disaster although I do understand why you're concerned. Once you read stuff on the internet, it's hard to erase the worries from your head. Whooping cough in a tiny baby is very serious so you have yo weigh up the risks against the benefits.:thumbup:

'Some people believe' is not the same as empirical evidence of cause and effect. I would have the jab if I were you. Whooping cough is on the rise in young kids according to my midwife so giving vaccination to us in pregnancy protects baby for the eight weeks they are in the outside world before they receive their own vaccination. I had the jab and had no side effects.

Thanks so much for all the replies. I decided to have it in the end this morning.So hopefully all will be well. Haven't felt baby move but that's nothing new as placenta in the way but will keep an eye on him :) x

I'm sure everything is fine :)
I just had my Tdap shot today. So far so good and not even a sore arm.

Type in "infant with pertussis/whooping cough" on YouTube. I was in tears after watching a couple. WC is nothing to play with. Yes, there are rare reactions to the vaccine, but complications to the actual disease are MUCH more likely.

I had my DTaP at 24ish weeks and had zero side effects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->