Whopping cough and flu vaccines

Babycakes29

Pregnant first trimester
Reaction score
Hi ladies I've been advised by my midwife that I should have both vaccines because of the recent number of outbreaks locally. I just wanted to know if anyone had had either it both of these n if you felt ill afterwards?

I had the flu one last year it was fine. I know someone who got the flu & it caused a miscarriage so there's no way I'm missing that vaccine.

I got the flu vaccine last week and have had a mild cold since Friday. Not sure if it's a coincidence, but the nurse that gave me the shot told me to not be surprised if I had cold-like symptoms for a few days. Headache, stuffy nose, low-grade fever. Something about the different strains in the vaccine this year. Like I said, it could be coincidence. But, I figure it's better than getting the full-blown flu!

I had the Whooping cough on the 11th and the Flu one on the 25th of this month. With the exception of a sore arm for a few days (felt like it was bruised) I had no side effects.

When I went for the flu one I was asked if I was allergic to chicken or eggs though. :confused: Guess it has something to do with what's in it.

I'm getting the whopping cough one this week but I don't get flu shots ever .

They usually are pretty useless since most of the time the strain it's made from has mutated and you won't be protected and can still get the flu

I was given the flu shot at my 7 week appointment - I normally don't get it, but last winter was the first time I didn't get the flu, so it worked for me! I had no side effects from it. :)

I got the whooping cough vaccine a couple of weeks ago and had a sore arm and a bit of a rash. That was it. Most people don't even get that but apparently I had a mild reaction to it. I haven't had the flu jab yet as the drop in clinic my GP surgery doesn't start until next weekend.

In definitely getting the flu jab, I'm really torn about the whooping cough vaccine though. It says not recommended for pregnant women but then they haven't done any testing on pregnant women and the government/uk health say all pregnant women should have it regardless!? I think I'm swaying more to having it!

I'm due to have my whooping cough one tomorrow and then my flu jab the week after.

I've never had the whooping cough one before but had the flu one with my first pregnancy and it floored me. I have never felt so ill afterwards. I'm hoping that doesn't happen again!

I'm getting the whopping cough one this week but I don't get flu shots ever .

They usually are pretty useless since most of the time the strain it's made from has mutated and you won't be protected and can still get the flu

I work in high risk flu areas in hospital and I'm doing exactly what you're doing! No to flu !!

That is exactly why I've never bothered having the flu jab before. We're supposed to have it at work, infection control come round and try and bully everyone but I normally tend to hide from them!! Lol.

Not sure if the UK has FluMist, but that's what I get out here. Its the "flu shot" in a nasal mist form (that I couldn't even feel to be 100% honest).

It is a live virus that can be contagious - but I've never gotten sick from it (and neither has anyone around me).

They don't normally offer it to adults, and they have it in the pediatrics area at my hospital. Nice option for those of us who hate shots. :D

ETA: :( Just realized that if you're already pregnant they won't give you the FluMist since it is a live virus.

I will be getting both. I had whooping cough vax after dd was born and had no ill effects from it. I skipped the flu shot last year due to time. Everyone else was vaccinated. DD caught the flu (9 months old...our first flu case) and it thankfully was so mild that her fever didn't even last 24 hours. I suspect she caught it from a shopping cart (put her mouth on it). I was under going asthma treatment (GERD induced) and was immediately put on tamiflu. DH was the main caregiver of dd and he didn't get it and we could keep ds away from her because he hated she felt bad and wanted to cuddle her and he didn't get it either.

I am by nature someone who avoids chemicals wherever possible so when I look at an ingredients list of vaccine and see formaldehyde amongst other things listed my immediate reaction is to be wary. Also, with the whooping cough vaccine I'm concerned because there is no clinical data regarding the safety of it's use during pregnancy.

I haven't ever had a flu vaccine and I've been fortunate enough to not catch flu so I have to question how necessary it is. Thankfully I have a long time to consider the options but will be watching the thread closely. xx

Rachie - you might miss out of the flu jab anyway. They don't recommend you having it until after your 12 week scan and I know some parts of the UK run out of the vaccine by the time December gets here.

Oooh, thanks Girly922, that is good to know :)

I think the place I tend to get infected with things is work and I'm off work now until after my 12 week scan so I'm hoping that will put me in good standing to avoid most germs :p

Rachie - you might miss out of the flu jab anyway. They don't recommend you having it until after your 12 week scan and I know some parts of the UK run out of the vaccine by the time December gets here.

Oooh, thanks Girly922, that is good to know :)

I think the place I tend to get infected with things is work and I'm off work now until after my 12 week scan so I'm hoping that will put me in good standing to avoid most germs :p

Where did you get the information from about not having it before 12 weeks? The Nhs website says it's fine at any stage in pregnancy?

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/flu-jab-vaccine-pregnant.aspx

My midwife. She told me that they wouldn't give it or advise anyone to have it until after their 12 week scan. She didn't elaborate on that and I didn't think to question it.

My friend isn't 12 weeks yet and was going to get it, maybe I should mention it to her...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->