Who's job is it to sort Mother's Day?

Adults should sort their own mum's gifts. For children the dad should do it, or if dad is not around then I guess grandparents or another close relative or friend would step in I hope.

My first mother's day gift my mum bought, and mil sorted the card - but DD was only 5 days old and I was still in hospital and had only been moved onto a normal ward the day before after a stay in intensive care - so my hubby was kind of preoccupied! Having a healthy baby and being alive myself was all the gift I needed!

The dads job.
However when my kids have kids I will probs buy them a little something from my grandchildren.

I sort my Mum's, my Dh doesnt see his Mum so no one does that and my children always do home-made stuff although my eight year old made my DH get a gift this year :haha:

DH's but really I end up arranging things :rofl: I like things done a particular way and DH can be pretty last minute whereas I like to get things done ASAP so I make sure to book restaurants etc but the present side is all him.

I think its the dads job. Not holding my breath though after he didn't get me an xmas card from LO. Luckily my OH saw I was upset and managed to find a mummy card which he wrote from LO after xmas. Hoping he thinks ahead andgets a card from her. I'll be making sure he gets a card for the mother of his little girl. They're not on the best of terms most of the time, but I think every mum deserves it. He isn't on speaking terms with his mum, but his nan is like his mum, so he's getting her flowers and a card.

i sort all presents for both sides of the family - which means im lucky if i get some flowers from the garage.

Dad's job to help the kids make/buy something, and vice versa for fathers day.

For our parents though, its usually me who ends up having to deal with making sure both sets get something for those holidays. I guess DH thinks shopping for me is enough work, lol.

Dads job, I sort out my mum and mil the same as I sort out all his families birthdays and Christmas cards/presents too, not really through choice!

Dads job, I sort out my mum and mil the same as I sort out all his families birthdays and Christmas cards/presents too, not really through choice!

Me too! Think it depends on the memory and organisation of your OH but mine would be likely to forget to get his mum anything so I do it for both mums but he's done something for me from my daughter this year (he's working on Mother's Day so has already given me the present and cooked tea for me last night on his day off). Although I know it's a day about appreciating your mother but I also think it's a day that our OHs can show their appreciation for us being the mother and bearer of their children, especially when they are too young to do anything themselves. I do the same for him on Father's Day and would do even if we split up so would like to think he'd do the same.

it is dads, however if my kids are too young as they are and cant buy stuff as they have not got money ( and I am broke) I take love, cuddles and home made stuff. I dont care about a card. Same goes for fathers day.

when the children are young i do not expect anything, in fact i hate these commercial things so i wouldnt ever expect anything. i would like it if hubby took care of his mum, but alas this will never happen, so im left with buying for everyone. hubby bought me something from lush this year (they advertise on their boxes lol) and he said "well i better had or you would freak out" ii think hormones dont help but makes me so made, if he says it when he gives it to me he will find a bath bomb positioned in some orifice. lol!

To note ... ive never freaked out, the year i had my first i got upset that he didnt get me a birthday card from my son, he was only a month old and i was clearly well hormornal lol, but i actually hate cards and commercial holidays so i really didnt want anything, which makes the comment really hurtful.

I know Mother's Day is about children and their mothers, and I can't wait for the boys to be able to do things from the heart, but I really appreciate my hubby getting me something, I think it demonstrates that he appreciates me as a mother and all I do for my children if that makes sense? Obviously when the boys are older they can tell me themselves, if I am deserving of course haha. But sometimes, as mum, you need a bit of appreciation and encouragement, yes we should be told without the prompting of a commercial holiday, but a bit of a prod doesn't do any harm! That's how I feel anyway.

I know on Father's Day I do it because I am thankful for everything my husband does, he is a great dad and I want him to know because I don't tell him everyday, and I hope that's how he sees it for me. When the boys are older it'll be up to them what they do, hubby and I won't do things for each other on those days then.

That's what I think too MarineWAG. It's nice to know our OHs appreciate what we do as mother to their child/children and vice versa on Father's Day when the kids are too young to say it themselves.
It's just a nice gesture isn't it?

My husband appreciates me every day, though I know I'm incredibly lucky. I do get random flowers and do get compliments as well as thanks every day. Both for being a wife, doing the house work as well as being a mum. I'd much rather have it that way than a day basically forced upon us =/

My husband appreciates me every day, though I know I'm incredibly lucky. I do get random flowers and do get compliments as well as thanks every day. Both for being a wife, doing the house work as well as being a mum. I'd much rather have it that way than a day basically forced upon us =/

I'm incredibly lucky too, I get random flowers too I don't get thanks everyday because I would find that OTT lol, I don't need thanking everyday this is the life we chose and we are very happy, but what is the harm in marking a day like mothers day too, just because we choose to mark it doesn't mean we are unlucky or that we have the day forced on us. We choose to mark the day. My husband has worked away for 9 weeks and only got back yesterday, it's extra special this year with it being our first with our complete family and I know my husband will use the day to especially say thanks for the last 9 weeks! Obviously if it hadn't of been Mother's Day he would have done also. It's like saying why bother celebrating birthdays, do we need to celebrate being a year older? Isn't it jut society making us spend money? Or Christmas? (If not religious) It's just a nice idea, and perhaps some people need prompting, perhaps some people don't, but it's not doing any harm and if people don't like it that is fine too!

Lol I wish I could says df appreciates me every day. I'm sure he does actually appreciate me but he doesn't show it, I don't get random flowers or thanks every day either but I know he does deep down, he's just not very emotionally expressive (most of his family are like that really, it's hard work having a conversation with the in laws sometimes as they just aren't as expressive as me lol!) so I do think it's nice to have a day dedicated to mums/dads/birthdays. Some people aren't as expressive as others and they do need the prompt of a dedicated day to show their appreciation.

DH sorts mother's day and I sort father's day. When MIL was alive, DH picked his own card for her.

x

Definitely the dad's. Even if a split isn't particularly amicable, I still think the parents should sort mothers' and fathers' day for the other, because it's not from them, they're helping the child do something and that's a parent's job, to help the kid. Sometimes I suppose people need a bit of a push - I know on my first mothers' day, my sisters reminded my OH that he needed to do something, although I think he'd have remembered anyway.

I sort my own mum and leave OH to sort his, well he leaves it to his sister - pretty rubbish but she's not my mum so it's up to them what they do.

I wouldn't expect anything from a very young child, or expect anyone else to do it tbh, as the kids get older (nursery onwards) they start making a card and stuff in nursery/school which is far more fitting than an effort from somebody I didn't give birth to :lol:

In my eyes it *should* be down to my DH to sort my things from the kids (or for older kids make sure the kids know to get one/take them to get one). He's the most unorganised person I know though so I'm thinking maybe I should ask my mum to do it in future! If we were apart I don't think I'd get one from him, even on good terms. Reason being he finds it difficult now when we're living together and I drop multiple un-subtle hints, there's no way he'd remember if we didn't live together! So in that case for me it would be my mum.

My mum said my grandma had to get her things for mothers day when I was little because my dad never did, even when they were together. Nice that she thought about her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->