Why are people so miserable & negative!? (vent)

hanni

Reaction score
My friends and family to be specific,

I've just built the furniture for babies room.. "it's too soon you'll be bored until he comes!"

I want to put his bedding on just so it looks nice.. "there's no point, he won't sleep in it straight away, no one's gunna see it, just leave it in the bag"

I ordered my pram to get delivered and set it up.. "it's bad luck to have his pram in the house before he's born"

I mentioned how I only had X amount of days left and how exciting it was.. "you've still got ages yet stop thinking about it"

I bought a couple of boxes of a certain kind of brand of wipes because they were on sale and mega cheap.. "those kind are crap, besides, he won't use them at first so it's a waste of money"

Seriously, can my friends/family let me be excited/do things without being so negative 😠
pointless, pedantic moan but I needed to get it out there! This is really starting to get me down.

First of all, you only have 7 weeks left. That is not ages!! Secondly, it is not only normal but smart for you to have everything ready for baby. The bigger you get and the more uncomfortable you get it's going to be harder so you may as well do it now. I definitely know how you feel though. Is you SO at least as excited as you?

Some people are just so negative. My mom insisted that my sister in law and I join her at the store to look at baby things, and all she did was nitpick and criticize everything we commented on. Apparently wanting a stroller that has useful features, fits your lifestyle, can grow with your baby and later accommodate a second or third kid, and has good resale value, is just materialism, and nobody cared about brands back in her day.

I'd just stop talking to them about baby stuff. It sucks not having the support, but better to surround yourself with a small circle of positive people than a big crowd of jerks.

Also, it's totally sensible to put stuff together now while you can still get around and bend and move comfortably, and it's much easier to wash the sheets that are on the crib if they get dusty before they're used than to clean the actual mattress. And as for getting bored, are you somehow going to give birth earlier or be less bored if the crib isn't built? What do they think you're supposed to do? Build it while you're getting up to 4cm and waiting to go to the hospital??

First of all, 7 weeks is not "ages" away, in fact, you may even have your baby sooner than that (I always give birth at 36+4 weeks) so it's better to be prepared in case that 7 weeks transpires into 4 weeks.

I hate negative people, this is such an exciting time for you and also the most boring, if you get what I mean? Exciting for the new arrival but also bored of being pregnant, uncomfortable, wanting your own body back, and to wear your pre-preg clothes again. So if setting your baby stuff up earlier than they want to help past the time, it's your every RIGHT to do so.

Also, if you do make it to 40 weeks, you will be too big, and tired to even want to finish up any loose ends that will be needed for the baby's arrival. Grrrr, people are bonkers when you're pregnant. People always have something to say when you're pregnant.

My husbands family is annoying like that, but my mom is AWESOME, thank goodness.

Good luck, and don't share your happy news with the negative Nancy types anymore.

Alexprago- my OH is super excited thankfully. Although he couldn't care less about bedding and things he just smiles and agrees! That's all I ever expected people to do.

MrsK- it's so frustrating isn't it! Even if there is no point to doing some things so soon, it's nice to feel productive and make it more real by getting it ready.
My MIL actually suggested only ordering my pram to be delivered on the day I went into labour! Just what I want to do, only figure out how to use a pram once I've got a newborn who needs to use it.

Calm - I know, I was thinking that. Anything could happen in the next 7 weeks. Best to do these things while I can! And I still have a fair bit to do.
I'm just not gunna bother telling people anymore.

It's sad when some of these people have young babies of their own and I listened to every minor detail they had to tell me and was super supportive. Now all of a sudden they've been parents for 2 minutes and know it all!

Thank you for your support ladies! So helpful to have a good moan about it haha 😊

You just come back here and tell us the news and maybe post some nursery photos, and we'll be excited for you.

I can't stand negativity. I will quickly speak my mind. Stand up and speak your mind. You can blame it on the hormones ;)

Yeah... that's a bit odd. You're 33 weeks pregnant! That's 4 weeks away from full term and 7 weeks away from your due date and what if the baby comes early? And do you really want to be doing all that when the baby could come any time? Now's a great time to do all that!

I actually don't think it's that odd - I didn't get our furniture delivered last time until after baby arrived. This time I haven't sorted out anything much either. I don't have a pram as it's at my parents' house (they'll bring it after baby arrives). We've washed the baby clothes and I've finally packed mine and baby's bags (thought I ought to do it this week as became full term today!) but the thought of having everything looking 'ready' would make me feel stressed. That's just me though - I would worry about tempting fate. Hubby can make up the moses basket when we bring baby home and once it's here we'll order a new mattress for the cot and put up the cot in our room. Sounds like I'm the very boring/disorganised looking one though!

I'm sorry you're dealing with this negativity. I don't understand these comments. We all do things differently. I *wish* that I already had the nursery ready to go and I'm still a couple of days shy of 30 weeks! As of now everything is in the garage or in its original box. I'm ready for my house to LOOK as if our new baby is on her way. I agree with the previous poster who said to set up your nursery and then share the pics so we can ooh and aww over how adorable it all looks. <3

I'm so sorry they're being so negative. I, too, dealt with negativity during my first pregnancy and couldn't stand it.

you're being sensible getting things ready. you're not too far now and it's only going to get harder to move around and get ready for baby as you get closer to your due date. maybe have another outlet for your excitement? negativity is terrible and you really don't have to put up with it. I agree with others, you can share pics here and we'll probably find them adorable!

My sister went into labor 5 weeks early, I had a friend who was 4 weeks early neither of them had anything ready. Furniture in boxes ect. I was not going to let that happen to me. Everything is ready and has been for months. I have had my bag packed for the hospital for weeks now.

Just to let you know, I'm not bored. Actually I'm really tired and uncomfortable and the thought of having to put all of that together and worry about it at this stage makes me feel even more tired lol. I'm so glad it is done, it's a relief at a time when there is so many other things that you will be worrying about.

Don't let other people tell you when to do what you want, this is your baby. You do what feels right to you.:thumbup:

Been busy finishing painting today and I've got the last little finishing touches to add tomorrow and then I'll upload a photo!
Thanks for being so supportive. It's such an exciting time and I love having this site to share it with people who are just as excited!

I'm sorry you're getting so many negative comments. I don't understand what's so bad about being organized and ready (?). Ignore the comments and work on your own timetable. :)

I got a few negative comments re: my nursery. My mother said I needed curtains and my in-laws said we should paint. They want to paint when they come and visit. The baby will be six weeks old!!! I don't think so. I'm not removing everything from the room so they can paint. The room was painted 7 years ago by DH and it looks like it was done yesterday.

I don't understand why our parents simply can't say the nursery looks nice and be happy for us. :wacko:

Don't listen... Preparing for baby is all part of the fun and if you are enjoying doing these things now... Then you should bloody well do it! X

Don't pay attention to them! If this is your firs baby you will be exited and you'll want to buy everything at the store lol that's how I feel. Plus your due date is not far away, and being ready for that day is the best thing you can do. I'm pretty sure later on all you'll want to do is focus on the little one. Plus sometimes sales are great and they don't come back once the baby is born lol. Congrats!

You are nesting! :thumbup: People just love to give so much advice. Ignore them and tell them how much you enjoy preparing for your baby.:hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->