Why are people so opposed to c-sections?

TrixieLox

Reaction score
My cheeky little monkey is in an oblique position but as it's so early, I'm hopeful she'll change to head-down, most babies do by birth. However, when I tell people this, there's this look of horror usually followed by 'oh no, you might need a c-section'. When I google it, there are also lots of worried threads from people expressing similar horror with desperate (and occasionally painful, risky) attempts to turn baby before they go full-term.

I'm intrigued by this horror at the thought of c-sections. I know a lot of it is down to personal preference (eg fear of being cut into, fear of having an op, fear of missing out on the 'beauty' of natural childbirth, fears that don't outweigh the fears of natural birth complications for me personally but each person is different).

No, what confuses me is the argument that a natural birth is 'safer'. Hasn't it been accepted now that c-sections are no more risky to the baby and mother than natural births (eg, The National Institute for Clinical Excellence recently revised its judgement and now says that, overall, cesareans are no more risky than vaginal deliveries)?

So essentially, this fear of c-sections being 'bad for baby' is based on old research (yes, more babies born by c-section go into special care but a lot of high risk pregnancies are delivered by c-section so not a reflection on the procedure itself).

Or am I missing something here?

I'm opposed to having a C section but not out of a fear of anything.

I just see it as a major operation I'd rather not have unless it was necessary. The recovery period is longer and the stay in hospital is longer. Both are something I'd rather avoid

I'd rather not have an operation but, as you said, they only do c-sections in high risk cases. If I was one of those cases I would happily have a c-section if it meant my baby was delivered safely.

There is recovery for both vaginal and c section. I'm a vbac candidate for this pregnancy, and happy about it.

DS was breech, and I didn't want an ECV, so CS it was.

This time around, I don't have the "luxury" of a recovery time (from a major abdominal operation) as DS1 will need me and will be bouncing around for my attention, and I feel like I may be able to be better off delivering DS2 vaginally (less hospital stay, less worries about having my uterus and stomach healing while taking care of a newborn and toddler). Not to say I won't need a recovery time, but at least I will be able to be there for DS1 sooner with a vaginal delivery.

I think people freak out, as cs's used to be done differently. If I had to have another one, I wouldn't be upset. Annoyed, yes, but understanding.

My recovery took a long time and couldn't even get into the shower without help or up from the toilet for at least a week. Not wanting to go through that again!

I remember being at my NCT classes first time round, and them saying there is a chance that one or two us (there were 9 couples) may end up with a c-section. I thought "Ha, well it's not going to be me, I'm going to be an all natural earth mother". Low and behold, 2 weeks later, my breech baby was born via c-section.

I recovered very well. I was signed off by the obstetrician 24 hours later, so could have gone home, but baby hadn't been feeding as well so i had to stay for another couple of days. I was back exercising after 4 weeks, (after GP sogn off) and compared to some of the stories from friends who had natural births, I think I might have got off quite light. DOn't get me wrong, it is of course major abdominal and uterine surgery, but it was all very controlled both before and after. And of course, for me, they deemed it safer than a natural birth.

xxx

I had an EMCS with DD, it was a positive experience and was the best thing for her and myself at the time because of complications during labour. My recovery didn't seem as bad as some as my friends who had torn badly during labour. I was up and about doing housework within 3 days :thumbup:

With this pregnancy I am having an elective section, I say elective but actually I have no choice in the matter as a VBAC is just not possible for myself because of the complications with my previous labour. As far as i'm concerned the risks are no greater than a natural delivery which can have complications.

C-sections are major surgery, and like with any major surgery can come the risks associated with them, things like infection, hemorrhaging, etc are all risks. And the recovery of a c-section is often times far more extensive then vaginal births. And then there's the internal state of things after surgery - scar tissue, organs adhering themselves to the scar tissue, thinning of the uterine wall, etc and often times one c-sections leads to repeat c-sections. Sure there are risks with vaginal delivering but most are minor and easily repaired.

Having had 3 c-sections and soon a 4th, I often times wish I had a different option. My first was an emergency (we almost lost baby) and #2 &#3 were because they were so close to the first and now the 4th is because the risks associate with a vba3c is far too high for me to feel comfortable with it.

If given the choice btwn a c-section and a vaginal, I'd choose a vaginal. However the choice isn't always available and I don't think there's anything to "fear" with a c-section. The procedure itself is fairly straight forward and simple. The recovery is the harder part.

Ya i mean women who have c sections do so because the risk of birth IS higher than the risk of a natural birth.....so in that respects...I think women welcome it because there is obviously a risk higher......

That being said...I don't think any woman would openly CHOOSE to have a c section. There is scar tissue, separation of muscles that don't go back to together, risk of them cutting into your bladder...this is major surgery....and with sugery there is always risk...bleeding, infections, ect ect....That's like if the dr said...you need a kidney stone out...it will pass naturally on it's own...or we can go in, cut your stomach open, and take it out....I don't think anyone would say..."yes please...slice me open".....hahahhaha...

....end of the day...the baby gets here and your right...it's healthy....but the mom has way more recovery time after....and some things don't ever heal...your left with a permanent scar and muscles that have been forever cut...My sister had 3...for her situation she had to have them...but she wishes it would have been different..

I'm board hopping but thought i'd share my experience. I had an EMCS with DD which involved a full spinal block. They delivered her at 19.27 and sent DF home at 20.55 as no partners on the Ward after 9 pm. I was completely numb from the chest down, I couldn't pick my daughter up out of her crib without having to wait for a nurse, I had to have a catheter, I couldn't breastfeed as well as I'd have liked as I couldn't hold her very well. I am still partly numb and partly tingly around the scar area now (19 months on) and although the scar healed very well, it was about 4 weeks before I felt normal again. I'd laboured naturally for 17 hours and was disappointed with the outcome but obviously it was necessary. They discovered she was brow presentation.

With DS (just over a year later) I had a successful VBAC, 1 hour 40 mins, no pain relief and the pushing part actually stopped the pain of contractions for me. I was up and about straight after and felt wonderful.

So, this time, I'd 100% love to have another natural.

As long as this baby cooperates, I won't be having another. I had no choice with Joshua because if his iugr and my failing placenta, he had to come out at 34 weeks. The procedure itself, was ok, but my recovery was horrendous. I was in hospital 4 days, it took me a good 8 weeks to feel somewhat normal, 12 weeks before me and oh could even consider dtd because if the pain I was in, I had extensive bruising, over a year on my scar still hurts and I still have numb areas just above and below it where the nerves have been ruined. More complications can arise with a c section than a vaginal delivery. It also means ill never get my water birth and I'll always be classed as high risk. I had the choice this time if a vbac or repeat c section. As long as my consultant is still happy for me to vbac closer to my due date, that's what I'll be doing. The thought of needing another c section fills me with dread, however much I know that chance is there. It is major surgery. Of course, if they think its the safest way to get baby out, I'm fully supportive of them, but I couldn't personally imagine just choosing to have one after the recovery I experienced last time.

I think people just don't want surgery. I'm not against a CS, but I would much rather not have one!

I agree with the previous poster, I think people just do not want surgery.

I understand that c-sections are great when they are needed, but of course nobody wants to be recovering from surgery when they have a newborn, that's why I'm really hoping for a vaginal birth!

I wish my hospital were more flexible with the vbac scenario. Had my consultants appointment a couple of weeks back, and while they had to tell me the facts, it really wasn't for me: Only 63% success rate over the last 2 years. No water birth allowed. Constant monitoring. They would only let me labour for 12 hours. For these reasons and based on my 'positive' experience last time, I have opted for an elective this time. x

I wish my hospital were more flexible with the vbac scenario. Had my consultants appointment a couple of weeks back, and while they had to tell me the facts, it really wasn't for me: Only 63% success rate over the last 2 years. No water birth allowed. Constant monitoring. They would only let me labour for 12 hours. For these reasons and based on my 'positive' experience last time, I have opted for an elective this time. x

I argued my case with my consultant, I'm not allowed a water birth, but I am allowed to labour in water and have agreed to intermittent monitoring. Being allowed a water birth for a vbac is rare unless you're having a home birth :( my hospital do have quite a good success rate for vbacs though.

I mainly don't want the recovery from major abdominal surgery while trying to learn to feed and care for two infants. Plus it means drugs MUST be used and I won't be awake to see them born and won't be able to hold them for several hours and babies will likely be groggy for awhile. I actually enjoyed labor in a way and won't get that at all with a csection.

I had a c-section, in and out in 2 days. I had a very fast recovery, and now I have almost no evidence of being cut. I am happy with my experience!

Not all c-sections occur because the person is high risk. Some of us were victims of the unnecessary cesarean like myself. I was given a c-section with my first without even being able to attempt real labor. My water broke at 3am and I went in to the hospital, after that I just sat in the hospital until 2pm. I was checked twice, they gave me no drugs to induce labor.....nothing. Then the doctor comes in about 1pm and says he's doing a c-section. If I would have known what I know now, I would have never let that happen. A lot of doctors try to rush a c-section because One its quicker and Two they get paid more for it. My doctor told me this yesterday at my appointment. I don't agree with c-sections that are not medically needed, we're made to give birth in a natural state so if a woman can do it I think she should and I don't think she should have the option of a c-section unless something is going wrong! Recovery from a c-section hurts bad, especially if you let your pain meds wear off. I mean its not unbearable, but it doesn't feel good at all. I for one am shooting for a VBAC in hopes of not having to go through that again!

A c-section wouldn't be horrible, but I'd much rather go naturally. The first time around, I wanted to schedule a c-section and then went into labor naturally before then. It was an amazing experience, and I was glad to have it. I want to have that awesome natural childbirth experience again with any other kids I have! So, I WOULD be disappointed if I needed a c-section now, but whatever is best for baby.

I mainly don't want the recovery from major abdominal surgery while trying to learn to feed and care for two infants. Plus it means drugs MUST be used and I won't be awake to see them born and won't be able to hold them for several hours and babies will likely be groggy for awhile. I actually enjoyed labor in a way and won't get that at all with a csection.

Why wouldn't you be able to be awake? Is there a special reason? Many women are wide awake during their sections hon. Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->