Why are people so opposed to c-sections?

Of course there are risks to any surgery but the advancements in medicine have made c sections extremely safe! And let's face it, no matter how you give birth ( c section, epi, home birth, water birth, medicated, hospital, episiotomity etc!), there are going to be risk associated with it. I guess if you electively get one, it can be considered "unnecessary surgery but honestly there are soooo many elective and unnecessary surgeries done every day! I don't like the negative stigma c sections seem to get. It makes me sad that a lot women feel badly, or like they did something "wrong" if they end up with an unplanned c section...

All that being said, I 100% personally want to avoid a c section simply because the recovery scares me! But I have friends that have had emergency c sections and elective c sections (who funny enough seemed to recover great!). I think it's lousy when people are made to feel bad about them, whether it was elective or not. Everyone's idea of birth is different and just because some even choose to give birth surgically as opposed to vaginally, doesn't mean they are wrong or should be looked down upon.

Todays safe C sections are a great advancement when needed. However, I hope to never need one. Things like significantly increased rates of asthma in c-section babies scare me more than the surgery part! But if needed, I would do it in a heartbeat.

One of the reasons I really don't want one is because DH and I don't want a small family with just 2-3 kids. 3 is kind of the minimum we're aiming for, but then we just want to take each child as they come and see if we feel like our family is complete at that point. Also with my messed up body I don't really want to use hormonal birth control & DH hates condoms so the current plan is NTNP from the start. If I had a c-section, I would definitely wait the recommended amount of time so I could try for a vbac the next time around, but even then I know that there is a higher chance I'd end up with a c-section. After 2 c-sections I don't think I could find a doctor in the U.S. who would let me attempt a vaginal birth, and I know they don't really like you to have more than 3 sections. We struggled and waited 2 years to conceive this baby. I have no clue if and when I'll ever get pregnant again, but I don't want my family size limited by an unnecessary surgery. If it's necessary to get the baby here safely, then that's fine! The area I live in though has a high c-section rate (25% for first time mothers, 33-40% overall depending on which statistics you read), and the WHO recommends no higher than a 15% rate, so it's a real concern of mine.

I've just had an emergency c section... People are so opposed to them because its major surgery... In our case labour had gone on far too long, she was in distress and I failed to progress past 7 cm... She was on a funny angle and was stuck....she had the cord wrapped round her neck twice...

Without a c section...in the drs words... She would be dead and I would be in pieces....

My recovery has been amazing, I stayed 2 nights in hospital and I was up and about walking since day 2... Now at a week pp I'm feeling great...l didn't expect this at all... Because that doesn't happen to everyone...

Our plan for number 2 is in 5 years....I've decided that ill be choosing elective next time rather than v bac... After the trauma of my baby girls birth I couldn't go through that again

I'm really craving that skin to skin right after labor which is why I'm not considering a c-section unless necessary. I'm not scared of having surgery so as soon as the Dr says it would be best I'd be fine with that. I also plan on having multiples next pregnancy (unless we conceive on our own next time) so that would most likely be a c-section and I'd rather not have more than one if I can help it :)

I'm not personally in 'fear' of a c-section - I am just not wanting one.

It is major abdominal wall surgery, and I don't believe that they should be available electively (for first timers - subsequent electives then possibly).

The body was designed to birth a baby and c-sections should be used in an emergency.

Should I need one, I'd be disappointed but I would be only getting one in a severe emergency therefore a life and death and safe arrival of baby is top priority.

Oh yes, like Bethi said, immediate skin-to-skin is a priority of mine and while some hospitals now have that option after a c-section, mine doesn't. With a vaginal birth they'll give me an hour of skin to skin before doing any of the weighing & stuff.

Really interesting, thanks girls. Seems recovery is a big issue too.

Sue_88, I recently read that women's bodies are no longer perfectly designed for childbirth because babies' heads are getting bigger evolutionary but the female birth canal isn't. I'll try to dig it out.

Sue_88, I recently read that women's bodies are no longer perfectly designed for childbirth because babies' heads are getting bigger evolutionary but the female birth canal isn't. I'll try to dig it out.

We're still designed fine for it. It's true that when you compare us to other animals, our babies are huge for our pelvis (if you see a panda give birth, you get a bit of a "hey... how come that's all she has to do???) but that's about it. Yes, it's probably more painful than other animals as a result. And that's why babies are born "too soon" (immature), really, a 3 month old baby is what should be coming out (and this makes 0-3 months so exhausting!).

I've had two babies with shoulder dystocia- a lot of it (big baby getting 'stuck' in the birth canal) actually comes down to positioning rather than pelvis size. And even then, there are plenty of ways to remedy it by the mother doing various positions/maneuvers with the midwives.

RE: Recovery
I've had one "bad" vaginal birth and one great one. With the great one, I walked out 3 hours later and was at home cooking dinner that night. Doesn't matter how perfect a C-section goes, you can't do that after major surgery. Recovery was very important to me, I had another child to care for. I declined an offer of C-section for that reason.

I'd definitely be interested in seeing the article. I would be interested if the evolutionary statements are correct or if infact they are environmental. As a population yes we are 'statistically' having bigger babies but then the mother's have been influenced by environmental factors shown in current obesity figures accross the developed world.

Keep in mind big difference between a petite woman, a "small pelvis", and actual cephalo-pelvic disproportion (which is a true small pelvis that most women can't birth from).

I'm booked in for a c-section this time, as it's the safest option for me. When I had DD (vaginally) I had such an awful time with so many complications immediately after the birth I almost died in the delivery room. I was in hospital for 4 days, and took weeks to recover properly. The whole experience was so traumatic.....:cry:

I was given the option by my consultant as to weather I have a natural birth again, or an elective c-section. It took me weeks upon weeks to decide, but after long discussions with several professionals and my DH, I have decided to have a c-section. I could have opted for a natural birth again, but nobody knows if the same complications will arise. It's a risk I'm just too afraid to take.

I'll be honest, I'm not looking forward to it at all. I know it carries it's own risks (just as vaginal births do) but I'll feel better knowing that if something does go wrong again I will be in a controlled environment and in the best hands. And as for the recovery time, I know it's longer, but I had a huge recovery last time so I'm expecting it. As long as my baby is born safely, and I'm around to see my children grow up, then that's all that matters to me.

I think this is the article but can't spot the stuff about evolution. Maybe someone told me that when I mentioned the article? https://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeands...berts-on-science-childbirth-risks?INTCMP=SRCH

I think the stigma associated is unfair... the whole too posh to push thing. Some women choose an elective section for convience but not many and certainly not on the NHS. I had EMCS and even though I know deep down it was the only way he was coming out (forceps couldn't even deliver him) it still took me a long time not to feel i had 'failed' and not given birth properly. Some of this was due to having pushed for 2 hours i was dissapointed not tofinish it off myself but I think alot comes from peoples negative associations with a c section. I still feel that i need to explain my reasons for having a section as if to justify to people that it was neccessasry.... i've even done it above!
All birth has risks but i believe that if you can birth naturally then surly that is best. However if not then thank god for modern medicine and the c section.
I'm trying for a vbac this time. I feel i missed out on alot last time... immediate skin to skin, husband cutting the cord, waiting 40 minutes to hold him, struggling with bf, being in hospital 2 days and although my recovery was straightforward it took be 4-6 weeks to feel normal. I didnt even give him his first bath but had to watch my husband do it as i was in too much pain to bend over.

I dont really believe in the " its what our bodies are meant to do" argument ... I mean yeah its the way oit goes naturally BUT we tend to forget how often the woman and babies used to die because of labour and delivery even 100 years ago .... 1/100 women would die in child birth on average... take all of us in third tri and imagine how real the possibility of death would be, how many of us would die from child birth ... im one of those women and difficult deliveries / serious injuries during delivery runs in my family . I dont think unnecessary c sections should be performed but I disagree with the notion that all pregnant women should be able to give birth vaginally when it wasnt all that long ago death was a very real possibility that we (thankfully) no longer have to really worry about.

I dont really believe in the " its what our bodies are meant to do" argument ... I mean yeah its the way oit goes naturally BUT we tend to forget how often the woman and babies used to die because of labour and delivery even 100 years ago .... 1/100 women would die in child birth on average... take all of us in third tri and imagine how real the possibility of death would be, how many of us would die from child birth ... im one of those women and difficult deliveries / serious injuries during delivery runs in my family . I dont think unnecessary c sections should be performed but I disagree with the notion that all pregnant women should be able to give birth vaginally when it wasnt all that long ago death was a very real possibility that we (thankfully) no longer have to really worry about.

Yep I agree. Even today in third world countries the number of women who die in child birth is shocking. Sierra Leone its 1 in 8!!!! Worst in the world! Much of this is down to lack of any maternity services and only 200 doctors in whole country! But still not everyone can have a vaginal births.

I had a emcs first time and this time my section is already booked....but if I go into labor before 38 weeks (when section is to take place) I am having a vbac.
I personally don't mind how my little girl comes out, I won't and didn't feel disappointed that I couldn't give birth naturally, as other women I have suffered a number of miscarriages before having a successful full term pregnancy so just holding my baby was like heaven, as long as they are safe and sound I would give birth any way possible no matter the pain or suffering during or afterwards :flower: xx

I was induced with DD1 at 39 weeks due to medical reasons, and the induction failed. I tried for 3 days, and she just did not come out. I ultimately had to have a Section both for her safety and my own. I went in with the full intention of delivering her vaginally, but it just wasn't meant to be. I believe that I ultimately made the right decision both for her and for me.

That being said, C-Section is considered major surgery, and no one should go into one uninformed about the risks involved and the type of recovery you face afterwards. Plus you need to make yourself aware of the risks involved with future pregnancies, especially if you have another pregnancy close in time to your Section. I don't think that it really should be something that a woman opts to do on a whim or because she thinks it would be so much easier than a vaginal delivery, because it really isn't--you may not have to push the baby out, but you come out of it with a hole in your belly and a slow recovery. I have to have a section with my current pregnancy, again due to medical reasons, and I am terrified about the recovery time and being able to care for DD1 during that time. I would much prefer to have been able to do a VBAC this time around and certainly would if I could!!

I think we are fortunate to have C-Section as an option for women who need to have them done, be it for emergencies or medical reasons. I agree with a previous poster that many of us would not be here without that option. I know that I would not be. I was born by emergency section myself, I had lodged in the birth canal during delivery and both my mother's life and mine were at stake. I feel very lucky that C-Section was available for my mother, as it saved both of our lives.

It is major surgery, both carry risks to mum and child and should not be taken lightly. Having had an emergency c section and a natural birth I would not choose a c section but do realise some cases it has to happen. I recovered far better with natural and did some reading on c sections and how the effect the children after I had my Ec. For me its wouldnt be a choice option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->