why cant i sleep

geordiemoo

Reaction score
This is ridiculous, with early pregnancy you're meant to be tired. I'm shattered all day, fall asleep quickly then within 2 or 3 hours I'm lying wide awake tossing and turning getting next to no more sleep. Aaarrrggghhh

I know that early pregnancy is known for being tired and sleeping all the time, but with DD, I was opposite. From 7 weeks until I had her at 41+6, I suffered badly with insomnia. I'd wake about 10 times a night, some nights never falling back asleep.

It was so bad that my midwife allowed tylenol pm (which I took on work nights only - never on the weekends or days off and stopped once I started maternity leave). Even with the tylenol pm, I was still waking 5 times a night, but it was much better than 10.

I know it's not much help, but insomnia is also possible instead of the "always sleeping" symptoms. I'm opposite this time - I sleep better at night and still have to nap throughout the day.

Oh no, that sounds awful and horribly similar to how I am at the moment. I'm desperately hoping it's all just normal pregnancy anxiety and once I've had 12 weeks scan it will calm. If not I'll have to see midwife or doctor. It's something I've never ever had problems with so I'm struggling a bit.

Aw, hopefully it will settle down after your scan :(

I know it's absolutely awful. I hate taking anything during pregnancy if I can avoid it, but the lack of sleep for so long was doing more damage than if I were to take the tylenol pm. She had me try a couple of other things first before resorting to the tylenol pm, but they did absolutely nothing. Even with the tylenol though, I tried to keep the dose as little as possible. Before she allowed the tylenol, I remember having to leave work early one day because I couldn't function at work. I was still tired with it, but I made it through.

If it doesn't ease up after your scan, definitely talk to your doctor! They may be able to come up with some different options for you. You have to be able to get some sleep. It may not be the best sleep, but at least hopefully better than what you're getting now.

I, too, suffer from insomnia!! From about week 4 (I found out at 3+5) on I've had terrible insomnia. IT SUCKS! But, from what I've read, it's normal :/

Ugh, me too! I have a terrible cold and I'm all stuffed so I'm seriously hoping that that's what's preventing me from sleeping and that once I'm feeling better I'll be able to sleep. So frustrating.

I'm having terrible trouble sleeping :-( I am 6 weeks I think coz I'm soo bloated I just feel super uncomfortable and end up tossing and turning all night

I had the worst time sleeping at night it was absolutely awful I bawled because I was so exhausted :( have you tried diffusing lavender oil at night? That's what I tried and I sleep so much better at night! My husband didn't know I had the diffuser going and he even woke up saying how he slept like a baby!

Agh nightmare! I'm swinging between bouts of always tired then other bouts of can't sleep. Can't win lol.

This is ridiculous, with early pregnancy you're meant to be tired. I'm shattered all day, fall asleep quickly then within 2 or 3 hours I'm lying wide awake tossing and turning getting next to no more sleep. Aaarrrggghhh

I could have written this myself :hugs:

I am exhausted but cannot sleep it is really getting to me now and it has only been a week :dohh: I think I was like this with DS so I need to try and remember what got me to sleep better :shrug:

I think I am going to get me some lavendar pillow spray see if it helps :thumbup:

Insomnia was my very first symptom. Same issue - falling asleep easily but not being able to stay that way.

I had an easier time in the 2nd trimester, but it was back in full force the 3rd trimester. At that time the doc told me I could take Benadryl to sleep, which I do occasionally.

Yep I'm in the same boat I get to sleep easily but wake what seems like 10 times per night. I'm also a tummy sleeper and my sore boobs are not helping !! I think it's just one of those things with pregnancy. We just have to grin and bare it. Both my friends who are currently pregnant had sleep issues in their 1st trimester as well xx

Thanks everyone, nice to know it's not just me. With dd I could have slept and slept but this time is totally different. Will try some lavender though and see if it helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->