Why check cervix for dilation?

Kikirose

Reaction score
I am in the US and coming up on my 38week OBGYN visit and last week the doctor mentioned they would be checking for dilation this week and each visit after. I just said ok and left, but now I am wondering why. I have read it is painful on this forum and others, I have read it doesn't predict labor, I have read it can cause bleeding after. So why are they checking anyway?
Knock on wood, but every test I've had the entire pregnancy has been perfect, my blood pressure is perfect every visit, I am as low risk as they come; so why put me through possible pain or stress of bleeding? I am anti-induction so if they check each week and I'm not progressing, I will decline induction anyway. I am aware I can decline the dilation check but mainly just want to know why they check at all?

My doctor's office did it routinely at full term when I was at that point with my first baby... Now, he's 16 months old, and since then, they stopped doing it routinely, and you just get asked if you want it done or not. Some people (like me) are eager to find out if our bodies are doing anything, even if we don't plan on getting induced if progress hasn't been made. Some people don't feel the need to know, but my doctor states that the vast majority of people do want it done at each visit from full term on, which is why it used to be part of their routine.

I think if they bring it up at my next appointment I'll refuse as I get U/S each week anyway where they measure and for me it is very painful.

Checking can help you dialate, it's a more natural way to induce labor. My doc tried to strip my membranes when she checked. Another reason...my good friend was checked at her 38 week appointment on Monday and she was 4cm, she was given time to prepare and had the baby this afternoon

I was checked at 38, and had a "sweep" a 39 weeks with my first - neither we're painful :shrug: didn't make a lick of difference though. I was curious to know if anything was going on down there :)

I am in the US and coming up on my 38week OBGYN visit and last week the doctor mentioned they would be checking for dilation this week and each visit after. I just said ok and left, but now I am wondering why. I have read it is painful on this forum and others, I have read it doesn't predict labor, I have read it can cause bleeding after. So why are they checking anyway?
Knock on wood, but every test I've had the entire pregnancy has been perfect, my blood pressure is perfect every visit, I am as low risk as they come; so why put me through possible pain or stress of bleeding? I am anti-induction so if they check each week and I'm not progressing, I will decline induction anyway. I am aware I can decline the dilation check but mainly just want to know why they check at all?

This is a very good question :thumbup:

I got it done with my first two and never questioned it. This pregnancy, I want the least invasive checks as possible including during labour. This can cause infection and I personally don't want to risk that.

However..I haven't decided if I will get the sweep done or not. It will take a lot of thinking.

In nz they dont do any dilation check (unless they really need to) because of the risk of infection. Even when woman in labour they will try not to check often only when needed.. like when you are first there and when you feel the need to push they will check again (unlesa more is needed)

My midwife likes to do it at least once to get a general idea of where I'm at. So I will have one at this next appt I have at 37 however for me in my last pregnancy I did find it hurt very much and I ended up with horrid Braxton hicks for hours after the fact. So like my last pregnancy I won't be getting checked more than once until I'm in labor. It doesn't change anything for me to know. But some women do like to know if any progress is being made

Dont think they check it as routine here.
Even when I had my sweeps last time I donr think they actually checked for dilation.
Only time I remember having it checked was after having my waters broke and they said I was 1cm then about 20 mins later I told them contractioms where 3 mins apart can I have gas n air now and she said that wasnt possible I still had hours of labour left so checked again and said bugger your 8 cm we better get moving.

If you don't want to be checked, just let them know. It really doesn't help anything. However, as my doc does an exam late in pregnancy for strep b swab, I alway say why not? Just like to know Out of curiosity. He'll also strip my membranes anytime after 38 weeks if I want, totally your choice.

Yea dilation checks don't seem very useful to me.. My doctor doesn't do them, I think he asks if you want a check after you hit 40 weeks but it's totally optional and mostly for your benefit if you are curious.

For strep b swap, last time the nurse gave me the qtip thing and instructions and left the room while I did it myself.

Wow, you all are lucky for getting checked that late. I get checked at my next appointment (35 weeks). Maybe it's because she's breech though, and since this is my 4th, labor would probably happen pretty quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->