Why date by LMP.... NOT accurate at all!!!!

Maidenet

Reaction score
Im forever in first tri lol.

We literally must of found out I was pregnant 2 weeks after conception....

I had a scan done 3 weeks ago and I was 6+3. Then one yesterday and Im 9+3. So baby is growing completely fine. No worries at all. BUT... yesterday was my 12 week scan going by my last period.

The midwife didn't take into account I have very irregular periods that vary in length either.... I have never had a 28 day cycle.

If this didn't happen before, and I didn't know a bit about how this works... id be a wreck because of me being 3 weeks behind what the midwife had originally wrote.

So here is my question.... has anyone else experienced this before??? xxxx

I've never understood why they take it from the first day of your last period - it's never accurate! Every "12 week" scan I've had (third pregnancy) has put me two weeks behind and I've had to go back for another one.

I think we must have found out at about 2 weeks pregnant too - longest 13 weeks of my life! Lol

PMSL its horrible isnt it!! xx My next one is the 20 weeks scan lol xx

Me!.....When I went for my booking in I told the midwife I would be due approx 4th June going by when I ovulated but as she was going by my lmp she put me at 28th may. I had my 12 week scan and was 11 weeks 1 day and due date of 4th June, exactly what I thought!

Because I was 1 day to earlier for the downs testing i'm going back tomorrow for my proper "12 week scan".....I would request you get another scan, i'm surprised they will now leave you till 20 weeks.

They tbh that suprised me also as I thought that's when they measured the neck thing etc..... xx

I adjust my lmp by when I ovulated. This cycle I ovulated cd20 so I went back and changed my lmp to 2 weeks before that because that's what they all assume happens.

I adjust my lmp by when I ovulated. This cycle I ovulated cd20 so I went back and changed my lmp to 2 weeks before that because that's what they all assume happens.

This is what I do, too! My cycles are usually 5 weeks long and sometimes longer.

With my secon they put me back 18 days at my 12 week scan, I have 42 day cycles x

Thanks for the replies xx

I know it's right and everything is fine bit I'm such a worrier.

Yeah mine are always like 5 -6 weeks apart lol not 28 bloody days :p

I also just take 2 weeks back from ovulation as my cycle varies to. Even when u tell them your cycle is long they don't listen.

I guess a lot if not most women just don't know when they ovulated, I know I didn't! First one was an accident, this one was planned, but I didn't temp or use ovulation tests or anything...so it's just easier to go by LMP because most women will know when that was. To be honest a due date is really more like a due month anyway (38-42 weeks being the "normal" range of babies being born), so I don't think it matters too much.

It can make a big difference if there's a big gap between assumed ovulation and actual ovulation when it comes to tests that have to happen at a particular time, or if baby is "early" or "late" and they're talking about interventions.

I understand why they go by LMP if you're not tracking ovulation, but I don't understand doctors and midwives who don't trust a patient who has been tracking. Who does that benefit?? If they're in doubt, an early dating scan should be fairly accurate, and they can go off of that. My midwife trusted me when I told her when I ovulated and adjusted my due date accordingly, even though it was only a difference of a day or two. I'm not sure I would have stuck around in her care if she hadn't taken me seriously (because what else is she not going to listen to?), but I know not everybody has that choice.

I just told my midwife when I was due and she never questioned it or asked about LMP.

I suppose the lmp way is the way they did dates before scans. I told my midwife when I ovulated and she estimated a later due date from that and then my dating scan put the due date later again.
This was the same for dd too.
I feel for my mum as her first three kids were induced as two weeks overdue going by lmp. I bet you we weren't overdue at all :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->