why do I have to have medical intervention to deliver the placenta?

monkeypooh

having a little girl!
Reaction score
I am having my first baby and everything is a learning experience for me. I was disturbed to read that new moms are REQUIRED to have pitocin after the delivery to help deliver the placenta. Is this true? why is this necassary? and can I refuse it and deliver the placenta naturally?

It's not like that in the UK. Surely they can't force you to have intervention if you don't want it? It can't be necessary for everyone. I and lots of people I know had no injection after the birth (neither did all those millions of women in the past!) and had no issues.

So if they try to give me an injection to deliver the placenta I can just say no thanks and they won't make me have it?

Of course you can refuse, it is your own body. It might be something you would want to discuss beforehand as you might not even realise they are prepping to do it until it has already happened as you will be preoccupied with your newborn.

You will need to make your wishes clear beforehand. In the UK, if you consent to having the injection for the placenta, you are given it as the anterior shoulder is born - so you won't have time to say no then if you haven't already. Discuss it with your OB - you don't have to have anything you don't want to x

No, they can't MAKE you have it. Discuss policy with your OB or midwives. If there are consent forms they want you to sign, request them now, so you can read them thru, amend, initial, think about, discuss, research, whatever.... Now is far bette rthan in labour. :)

I would love to tell you that they can't make you do anything. However, my DS1 was born in hospital, and they literally forced the pitocin on me. I was sitting there holding my newborn son and a make nurse comes around with the pitocin. I asked him what it was, and when he told me, I said "No. I don't want it." "It's hospital policy" "I don't need it, don't give it to me" "But I have to..." He then put it in my IV drip.

I have since learned that hospitals are not subject to phrases such as: "No" and "Don't"

If you want someone to listen to you in the hospital, you have to memorize the phrase "I Do not give my consent to _______ ." This phrase is legally binding and if they do whatever you told them not to, they are legally liable.

okay, WHOA WHOA WHOA. i see you're from ottawa, and i am too and my midwife said NOTHING about this.

are you sure you're correct?

They do this int he US too, after my OBGYN was 100% knowledgeable about my needles phobia and i had a hospital natural birth, no IV etc she then pulled out a needle and said "i have to give you this it'll help get the placenta out and stop bleeding"

I screaming bloody murder and lept out of the bed (and instantly fell down as i had just given birth to baby and was a little weak on my legs!)

they all freaked out that i got out of bed and put me back in bed and decided i didnt need the shot after all..

needless to say i deilvered both baby and placenta completely natural without an issues. just say NO and be firm.

I would ask your Doctor or nurse on a print out of the hospital policy where it says this. If there is no written policy of this practice then it is likely a scare tactic to get you to do what they want. Where I live you have the right to refuse anything, even a c-section, and pictocin for the placenta is not standard practice in many of the hospitals here.

If you want someone to listen to you in the hospital, you have to memorize the phrase "I Do not give my consent to _______ ." This phrase is legally binding and if they do whatever you told them not to, they are legally liable.

This is really really important to remember, especially as the way the medical system here in Canada is set up it is nearly impossible to pursue with any level of success, the idea of a medical malpractice suit.

Any medical intervention / procedure that is given WITHOUT consent however falls under the legal definition of assault and that can carry huge consequences.

You certainly don't NEED the pitocin as standard, but I would straighten it out beforehand definitely as they won't ask at the time. You will need to be really firm, the phrase upthread sounds useful, and maybe something in writing to remind them - a note stuck on something? It shouldn't be necessary but I've heard so many stories of medical professionals especially in America doing things against consent, and even my Mom in this country was not asked if she wanted the injection they just gave it. Canada seems to have features of both the US and UK systems, so I'd be careful.

okay, WHOA WHOA WHOA. i see you're from ottawa, and i am too and my midwife said NOTHING about this.

are you sure you're correct?

Am I correct about the injection to deliver the placenta? From what I understand it is common to get one. I am not 100% positive and that is why I am asking. I will have a doctor not a midwife ( couldn't get one, ended up on a waiting list)

I'm sure you have a bill of rights in the US, hang on...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pregnant_patients'_rights_in_the_United_States

Does this mean you can refuse no matter what the hospital policy? I cannot believe they forced it onto you!

I had two birth in the US and refused the injection. Nursing will stimulate in the same way as the drug!
The injection is just so that the doc can leave faster, it's within normal range to take an hour for the placenta to be delivered, but the time is rarely given...:-(

Whaaa? I've never heard of that here, that's screwed up. I HAD to have hormones to deliver my placenta, but only because it wouldn't come out after 1.5hrs - I was going to have a physiological (natural) 3rd stage. And it's your right to.

Wonder what they think women did back in the days when there was no pitocin, how did they deliver their placentas then? :wacko: :dohh:

It's worth enquiring about, and putting in to your birth plan if you're allowed it. I'd also mention it again just after you've had your LO in case they try and pull a fast one.

Seems a bit of an odd thing for them to make compulsory as like a PP said, loads of people deliver the placenta without it. Mine took a good hour to come out but it did so don't let them clock watch with you!

Hi, just wanted to jump in here for a sec. I'm also in Ontario, my dd is almost one and, while we aren't pregnant yet, I'm starting to plan how I want my next birth to go. I did have the pitocin shot to help my placenta out but I have no idea why. It was probably out within ten minutes. I was so shocked because I never thought this would be standard practice. I was totally expecting to deliver it naturally and everything I had read said it could take a while. Definitely going to be talking to my OB about this for next time. Actually, I'm hoping for a midwife. One thing I've really learned is that you can say no and that talking to your care practitioner ahead of time will really help.

Sorry for the long post. Just something that's really been bothering me lately. I don't see much need for messing with things that work out just fine on their own.

I'm with a MW in Alberta and it should be a choice that you have whether you want it or you don't. Here in alberta it is standard of care to give the shot. I had this with my first as my dh wanted everything standard as we were at home and I was ok to go with him on that for our own peace of mind (I actually didn't mind it at all). This time however we are opting to not have it. My MWs WILL have the shot ready however...and it is one of the only things they make sure to have ready to go...as they will give it if there is hemorraging, etc. They would also give it if I havn't delivered the placenta after a certain amount of time. If you want more information I could forward you our informed consent document about this specifically (from a Canadian perspective)...just PM me...Always good to do your reading...you DO have a choice.
:) Good Luck!

I was never asked. The nurse just put in the in the IV. I don't think I really needed it. My new OB wants to give it for my next pregnancy, but I think I will refuse it unless I have major bleeding. (He wants to give it to control bleeding more than placenta delivery.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->