Why do people think the country owes them something? [Bit of a rant about councils!]

C

cherryglitter

When they have lifted a finger for the whole of their adult life?
People are abusing the benefit system everywhere I look!
Since when did doing absolutely sweet FA get you more money than actually working!?

It's beginning to drive me crazy :wacko:!!

I couldnt agree more! My husband and I rent a first floor flat and when I got pregnant we started looking for a 2 bedroom place. Since we can only just afford out current rent even with both of us working full time, we approached the council to see if they could help. We were told that theres nothing they can do. However, if we were both out of work they would have to house us. I was raised to work for a living and I feel its being thrown back in our face. As it stands I am due in Feb, we get evicted from our current property when the baby is born (we arent allowed children in our current flat) and atm have no where to go.

I agree in some respects... the benefit system should be for those who genuinely can't work for health or social reasons. There's always going to be unemployment and redundancy as well and these people need help temporarily.

I used to work for the DWP (department of work and pensions) who deal with medical incapacity. I saw some of the people who were claiming long term sickness benefits. It was a joke.. some of these people were clearly fit for work but were in the 'sick role' and didn't want to work. I also know for a fact that some of the people claiming long term sick were found to be working on the side.

I do feel strongly about those people who choose not to work then claim every single penny in benefits from the government. Sometimes they do get more than those on low wages. At least people who go out to work can hold their head high with dignity but dignity and pride doesn't put money in your pocket.

Unfortunately it's a flawed system. It the government that are too soft!!!

my rant over too!

xxx

I couldnt agree more! My husband and I rent a first floor flat and when I got pregnant we started looking for a 2 bedroom place. Since we can only just afford out current rent even with both of us working full time, we approached the council to see if they could help. We were told that theres nothing they can do. However, if we were both out of work they would have to house us. I was raised to work for a living and I feel its being thrown back in our face. As it stands I am due in Feb, we get evicted from our current property when the baby is born (we arent allowed children in our current flat) and atm have no where to go.

sorry to hear that , hun
hope things work out
xxx

The government are too soft. It really drives me up the wall. I don't see why those who do f all, all day, have more advantages than those who work their bum off!!

My Dad has been through hell and back, and has worked all his life, and has paid all his taxes no matter what, and now he's been made redundant, the council really don't want to know. He has my brother, whose 18, to look after, but they really don't care!

They offered him 10p a week because of this previous earnings. I don't know why he doesnt go get someone pregnant and he live in their council house, without them knowing, rent and bill free! [Sorry that was a bit low, but it's so true!]
It's a shame he doesn't have working lady parts, because then he could just pop a kid out and have everything on a plate.

I sound narrowminded, but the government haven't proved me otherwise?

Yeah, probably best I don't get started on this topic!

I agree with you totally. It irks me I have little choice but to return to work whereas others can happily be a SAHM and the government will pay for it.

It also irks me the government will give working mothers money to give to other people to look after their children but not consider giving it to the mothers (or grandparents or other family members)

But mostly it really winds me up that I would be financially better off if I kicked my husband out than if we stay as a cohesive family unit living happily under one roof.

I'm all for the system picking up the short term pieces for those who need it but I do wish is would stop being the cash cow for a lifestyle for those who haven't got a work ethic.

I should really stop there and not mention the number of times I've been round the council estates and seen spanking new cars, sky dishes on every wall and 42 inch plasmas in the lounge.....

Don't get me started either. :(

I am off sick due to pregnancy complications and can only get £79 a week sick pay from my employer (state sick pay). If my husband and I chose not to work, we'd probably get 1500 a month in benefits without any questions.

Still, I'd rather have my morals, work ethic and self-worth than be sitting at home on my arse all day every day.

I think SAHMs do a great job; I just get annoyed where whole families do not contribute and just take out.

But mostly it really winds me up that I would be financially better off if I kicked my husband out than if we stay as a cohesive family unit living happily under one roof.

This is what annoys me too.

I think SAHMs do a great job; I just get annoyed where whole families do not contribute and just take out.
I think they do too and I would like the option of doing it, but the government apparently feels the fact I (and my husband) worked my arse off to get a degree and a good career isn't a good reason to help me out if I choose to do it.

I think the benefit system is good when it works. I'm glad we can look after people who can't look after themselves but I think it gets so abused !

It pisses me off that my bil and sil have a 3 bed house given to them get the same money as we get a month and dont even have to pay council tax because they CHOSE not to work!!!!!

Whereas me and my dh work very very hard for our money receive no money from the goverment and live in a smaller house! I'm now off sick from work with hyperemesis and my work only have to pay me £70 a week! So my DH is working every weekend in overtime to make up for my lost earnings! rahhh!

I think the benefits are good for people who really cant work, the old, the genuinly sick etc. It bloody pains me to see men aged 16-40 not bloody working and just moping around! Amazingly they always seem to have money for designer clothes though dont they!

But I will have to be a SAHM after the twins are born, it would actually cost us alot more in childcare than I would be bringing in my wages! So we will be tightening our belts alot!xxx

I think they do too and I would like the option of doing it, but the government apparently feels the fact I (and my husband) worked my arse off to get a degree and a good career isn't a good reason to help me out if I choose to do it.

Same here! We can get a grand total of 10 a week child tax credits, 20 child benefit that everyone else gets and nothing else, and that is whether I work or not. I also went to uni and did a degree a postgrad and part of a masters and have never ever been out of work (except a few months when I was ill and in and out of hospital - could not get any benefits at all even if I wanted to). I think it's disgusting and there's no way we can cope on the money my husband brings home each month alone :(

I suppose I am lucky that I have my husband's parents and now my family are thinking of moving closer, so when I return to work I may be able to go part time as I won't have to work extra hours JUST so I can pay for childcare. I want her to go to nursery one day a week regardless of my family, but it means I can work 3 days and we can still just about get by. Still won't get any other help though.

See, silly me, I thought CTCs were meant to help people go to work by helping towards childcare costs, but it seems to me that the less you work, the more CTCs you get!

See, silly me, I thought CTCs were meant to help people go to work by helping towards childcare costs, but it seems to me that the less you work, the more CTCs you get!
True dat!

some of us though dont chose to be on benefits either but its either that or our kids dont eat. My ex chose not to be a dad when i was pregnant with our son before that i had worked since i was 15 years old and studyed at the same time. I hate claiming benefits and im working hard to get off them by studying so i can get a decent paid job so i can keep a roof over our heads. Please do not tar us all with same brush cause some of us dont chose to live this way i have never had a council property and have to live in shit rented accomdation which is unsuitable for me and my kids, in the past 6 years we have moved 8 times because landlords have decided to put rent sky high but council still wont give us anywhere.

some of us though dont chose to be on benefits either but its either that or our kids dont eat. My ex chose not to be a dad when i was pregnant with our son before that i had worked since i was 15 years old and studyed at the same time. I hate claiming benefits and im working hard to get off them by studying so i can get a decent paid job so i can keep a roof over our heads. Please do not tar us all with same brush cause some of us dont chose to live this way i have never had a council property and have to live in shit rented accomdation which is unsuitable for me and my kids, in the past 6 years we have moved 8 times because landlords have decided to put rent sky high but council still wont give us anywhere.

I don't think anyone minds paying for people who really need it like yourself :) What I was saying is I hate people who aren't sick who claim benefits or people who just chose not to work ( not single mothers who have no choice). It pees me off seeing men who just laze about all day at home and claim benefits. xxx

I am also a single mother but i am a full time student nurse, i could never ever just sit at home all day claiming all benefits possible. Its extremely hard work juggling a toddler and an intensive stressful course but i choose this so that me and my wee boy will have a good standard of living. I know many people who just sit on the arse all day(both parents) and dont seem to struggle like i do:wacko:. Obviously there are people out there who want to work but cant for medical reasons and thats fine or maybe single mums who cant find a job and are doing their best to get one. I just get so annoyed with those who are able but have no intention of working because they cant be bothered and my worst pet hate those who claim they are better off not working grrrr. I would also be better off financially not working but i could never do that as it aint fair to those who cant and need benefits and end up getting a raw deal of it x

I wouldn't tar people with the same brush at all.
My own father is a slave to the benefits system, but at least I know he has his genuine reasons to be out of work at the moment.

It just pees me off when girls and boys, see the benefits they get as a lifestyle!

I went on entitled to, and if I work 16 hours or less when baby is born, and my OH carries on working, I will bring home more than im earning now due to tax credits/child benefit etc! So where on earth is my incentive to work?

I know so many people ,girls particularly of course, who have kids young because they know they will not have to bring them up themselves financially. It drives me mental!!
If they got offered nothing, then im pretty sure we would see the teenage pregnancy rate MORE than halved! x

I seriously can't understand how these single guys live and have the lifestyles they seem to have, JSA for under £25 single person is only £50.90 a week so once youve paid for food at the least £20 a week plus gas electric etc there carn't be alot left over.

Single mums, lazy parents, jobless parents etc get benifits to prevent their children slipping into child poverty, what pisses me of is you go to the local council estate and theres is kids running around in filthy clothes, obviously never seen a vegtable let alone eaten one etc and mothers complaining the don't get enough money etc to live yet they still have money for fags and booze?!

makes me laugh when people say on benefits is the easy option, i can only imagine it must be mind numbingly boring, and to have no purpose in life whatsoever? whats that all about? how the hell these people can live on the money i dunno. i dont know how anyone who is able to work, and lets face it there are plenty, could sit about and wait for their incapacity benefit or whatever they call it now, i mean its £67 a week on the low rate - i just couldnt survive on that

i totally agree with u all i am a stah mum as i have a 2 yr old as wel as exoecting but my husband works 44 hours a week to support us we are entitled to no help with rent or council tax and at the end of the week wen all is paid we are left with about £10 in our pocket to have for our selves if he didnt work we would get rent paid and all coucil tax and get more money to live off each week than what were left with out of his wage but we are both string believers if we chise to bring these children into he world that we should be the ones to support them and once the new baby is old enough to start school i will be returning to work too

makes me laugh when people say on benefits is the easy option, i can only imagine it must be mind numbingly boring, and to have no purpose in life whatsoever? whats that all about? how the hell these people can live on the money i dunno. i dont know how anyone who is able to work, and lets face it there are plenty, could sit about and wait for their incapacity benefit or whatever they call it now, i mean its £67 a week on the low rate - i just couldnt survive on that
I think it is all the add ons that go with it. Once you get one of these benefits, then a whole raft of others kick in. They might not be handed to you every week but they count still the same. By the time you get housing benefit and council tax allowance, then your weekly / monthly expenses become much lower. On top of that there are free school meals and milk. Sure Start gives vouchers for fruit and veg. Free prescriptions, dentistry and eye care. In council housing you needn't pay for maintenance of your home etc. If you are on incapacity benefit then there is scope for someone else to claim a carers allowance. It's all about how you play the system.

If your major expenses are paid (eg rent and council tax) then £67 per week becomes easier to live on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->