• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Why do people think the country owes them something? [Bit of a rant about councils!]

Im on benefits, i dont want to be but at this moment in time working for me would be physically impossible due to my epilepsy. Disability can be claimed whether your working or not so does this mean that even though quite a few days a week i have 4-5 fits a day that i should work. Once doctors have my epilepsy under control i will start looking for a job but for now i have to claim benefits, if i didnt connor wouldnt have clothes/food and i would never allow that.

thanks for this post. I know where a lot of your are coming from! I've had my hydro cut off even when I was on social assistance, its hard to raise a family on that but we eventually made it through. Keep at it girls you'll get there.

Im not tarring people with the same brush.
But 90% of the people I know, are conning the benefits system!
It's so easy to do!
I just get so pissed off with the little scrotes I see where I live, sitting around all day, popping out kids like there's no tomorrow. Smoking weed! Getting a free house, for as long as they bloody want it. It drives me CRAZY.
You should see some of the cars they drive around here. It's mental. But yet they can't afford to feed their own children? It does my head and people's situations should be reviewed every year, if not 6 months, and see whether they GENUINELY need the benefits they are getting..

Im not saying EVERYBODY ON BENEFITS IS LIKE THIS AT ALL. Im just saying, all I see around me, is people taking the piss out of this country and people who work hard. That is all!!

I know girls I went to school with, who basically said, right, eff this, im gunna get pregnant and sit on my arse for the rest of my life.
Don't bring a child into this world, if you know fool well you cannot provide for it.

I would never want to rely on somebody elses money to bring up my own children.

But then that's just me!

[Please don't take offense to this, im just annoyed with everything at the moment, if you didn't notice, I know people who are basically benefit frauds. It drives me crazy and I have to bite my tongue a lot!!]

I know there are people out there, who genuinely need benefits, and im all for it.
But people who blatanly 'work' the system.
I hope every single last one of you get's caught.

Its a hard discussion. I know people who have abused the system and I have reported people for it before!
I dont abuse the system but I get benefits. I am a carer for my son and we I get disability for him aswell. Because of his additional disabilitys I get some car tax etc paid etc and people often comment on things like this. I plan all our weekely meals and cook from scratch. I save like mad and my children have nice clothes and things but I do save alot and that helps. I dont have any credit or any overdrafts.
I do now have a new parner but he currently lives 170 miles away. When we move in together I will be off benefits :) well apart from disability for my son.

I got my college courses paid for (worth 900) because of benefits. I do think people should be made to at least do college courses and get them educated rather than just watching life roll by. I dont get why people dont make the most of these courses that normally cost so much! Got to be better than doing nothing?

Yup, I agree. The college course idea sounds good.
And to be honest, at least you have a genuine reason to be getting benefits.
You didn't choose to be on them hun, you have to be :)
xx

Then I suppose you coiuld said that I chose to be in benifits

I got pregnant at 16 not planned but I kept him. I then went to college until 9 montsh pregnant wen tback when he was 3 monthd old and completedmy course having to catch up with all the work. Which caused me to have postnatal depression but I still qualified as a nursery nurse

And I was advised to take a year out due to the depression and yes on benifits.

But next yer going to Uni and training to be a nurse

So yeah this year I have looked for a jobafter finnaly getting on top of my depression

When I finish Uni I will not begrudge a penny of my Taxes to people who are on benifits that need them. They have helped me and I see no reason why I cant helo them
xx

I don't think this debate is about people who genuinely need help, it is about people that deliberately attempt to defraud the benefits system.

There are so many out there. My friend's ex boyfriend, healthy young male in mid 20s, no family, lazy arse has now been given a council flat, purely because he is jobless and homeless which he choses to be as he is lazy and cheated on my friend who owns her own property so she threw him out. He has a middle class family who he choses not to live with who would take him in, so somehow he has defrauded the system, he gets a flat, JS god knows what else because he can't be bothered to work. It is people like this that many people on this thread deplore, not people who need genuine help.

I also blame the Government for creating a system that makes you better off if you do not work. I think Labour have got it all wrong...but that is another thread...

I receive tax credits and they pay for Amelies nursery and that's it. I'd be better off if I didn't work, and I'd be better off if Stefan left me. It's a joke.

There needs to be a change. People on benefits should struggle a bit more so they get the drive to go out and actually want to work. :shrug: Oh and I think people who are on jobseekers should be made to do voluntry work in homeless shelters, cleaning up parks, in libraries etc etc and attend courses if need be to develop interview skills and stuff. Really, they should be busy everyday of the week and earning their JSA. Maybe the fact that they're getting crap money for 5 days work a week will make them realise they could be earning more for the same amount of time and effort.

I did some calculations last night, on the updated entitledto website.

If neither my husband nor I worked, we'd get more money per week through benefits than we would if one of us worked in a minimum wage job (although my husband earns double minimum wage) and the other stayed home full time. If we lived in social housing instead of owning our home, we'd get even more even though we'd be in the same situation in terms of our job! I don't think this is right myself - I have no reason not to work, so why should we be better off if my husband went and got a minimum wage job and I went on benefits than we are with him on a double minimum wage job and me in my job? I don't get it!

i think the system is completely messed up! I have paid tax for many years, and in a pretty high tax bracket too, however, because my husband is indian i am not allowed to even claim the child benefit that everyone is intitled to, so the government is more than happy to take my money to pay for other people but will not let me have any of that money to help myself!

i think the system is completely messed up! I have paid tax for many years, and in a pretty high tax bracket too, however, because my husband is indian i am not allowed to even claim the child benefit that everyone is intitled to, so the government is more than happy to take my money to pay for other people but will not let me have any of that money to help myself!

:wacko: reallly? That's a disgrace.

It seems that way.
They are def more than happy to pay for the majority of people to sit on their asses.
When they're perfectly capable of getting of their lazy arse and work!
I hate having no control over this sort of thing.
It really grates me! x

That's strange. If one parent is a UK citizen and not subject to immigration control and resides in this country, and the child is a UK citizen, Child Benefit should be paid. Even in one parent is Indian. Only one parent makes the claim, not both.

That's strange. If one parent is a UK citizen and not subject to immigration control and resides in this country, and the child is a UK citizen, Child Benefit should be paid. Even in one parent is Indian. Only one parent makes the claim, not both.

does not work like that sadly :( or it could if i did not want my husband in the country as if he left we could get the money but for him to be there i have to prove i could support him and any children we have without any help from public funds and child benefit is classed as that!! So stupid as my daughter and i are both british but cut off from gettigng any help should we need it!

does not work like that sadly :( or it could if i did not want my husband in the country as if he left we could get the money but for him to be there i have to prove i could support him and any children we have without any help from public funds and child benefit is classed as that!! So stupid as my daughter and i are both british but cut off from gettigng any help should we need it!
I really do find that hard to believe. HMRC website makes no mention of this at all and in fact notes that even those who are subject to immigration control may be able to claim this benefit.

But, I do have a gripe about people living in council housing all their lives. The point of these houses were to help people have a decent place to live when they were starting out or struggling to pay for private accommodation. But once you have the house you have it for life, so as you progress in life and in your career, and begin to earn more money, you could actually afford to move out. In fact if you can afford a spanking new car and a 40 inch plasma on the wall as well as designer togs and a couple of holidays a year, then you can well afford not to live in subsidised housing. To me it is unfair that some people who really need housing cannot get it whilst a working couple on a decent enough salary are in a house they have had for years when they could afford to pay a private rent.

This does depend on the area. Where I live to be able to afford a decent family home you need to BOTH be earning near 30-40k a year and have a 10-20% deposit to get a mortgage. Rent on a house can be £700+ a month. We live in a council house, OH brings home 26k a year, we have sky, ok I don't have a flash car as I have a £300 loan repayment but if I didn't have that I would be able to afford a nice new car. However we wouldn't be able to afford private housing as on top of the rent would be the council tax which is near £200 a month. Folk prob don't think I deserve to be here as I have parents with a big house in the country and I went to a private school and have/had a good job - but now I cant afford a private rent as I have debts. However I am doing the good thing and paying them off rather than trying to be declared bankrupt and have them wiped. SO that means that I cant afford a 'normal' house.

I see nothing wrong with folk who CAN actually pay for rent living in social housing. If it was all habited by folk who needed full of part benefits then they would be in a worse condition than they usually are now. They need folk who are guaranteed to be able to pay, and who will make the area nicer.

Where we live on one side it is houses and they are mainly bought from the council and the folk do have nice cars. The other are the flats that aren't for sale. The residents there set of fireworks, ride around on scrambler motor bikes, et pished all the time and wake you up in the early hours fighting.

I know which side of my estate I prefer!

:wacko: reallly? That's a disgrace.

This is from direct.gov.uk website...............

Who qualifies for Child Benefit?
To get Child Benefit you'll normally need to:

be physically present in the UK - together with your child
be 'ordinarily resident' in the UK - so your main home is here
have a 'right to reside' in the UK
be responsible for the child who's living with you
Being present in the UK
To get Child Benefit both you and your child must be physically present in the UK.

But you'll still be able to get it if you're out of the country for short, temporary stays, like on holiday.
Being 'ordinarily resident'
To get Child Benefit you, but not your child, have to be ordinarily resident. You'll usually be ordinarily resident if:

your main home is in the UK
you've chosen to live and settle here
you only go abroad for short periods - like on holiday
The Child Benefit Office will decide whether or not you're ordinarily resident by looking at all your circumstances - the following examples may help to show whether you are or not.
Example one
Anisha and her children are from India and are staying with her sister’s family near London. They are not classed as ordinarily resident in the UK and so can’t claim child benefit.
Example two
Aleksy and his wife and son have moved permanently to the UK from Poland. Aleksy works as a self-employed property developer and his son is registered at the local school.

As the Aleksy family’s main home is in the UK and they have chosen to live and settle here, they are classed as being ordinarily resident and can make a claim for Child Benefit.

If you are British, and have a national insurance number, surely you should be able to claim child benefit if people from Poland as given in the example can claim???????

I'm sure oyu have looked into it and perhaps there are special circumstances but it doesn't seem right to me?

xxx

i do see your points ladies but i do get a little upset when i see posts like this.

Dont get me wrong anyone delibratley claiming when they shouldnt is totally wrong.

What gets to me is that people hear people are on benefits and generally asume they are bums. (not saying thats what you guys are saying)

Now i dont work, i had cancer a year and a half ago and when i went into remission I fell pregnant. Finding work whilst your preggers as we all know is one hell of a challenge but i tried everything and i mean everything with no availe. My oh was working as a painter then 3 months ago was made redundant.

Now we are both on benefits and I tell you life is not 'easy' and we struggle every single day.

as an example for you, until mya is here this is how we have been living.

Rent 675 pcm the council give us 460 which leaves us to pay the extra 205 a month.

Jsa is 256 pcm so take off the 205 from mine and i'm left with £51 which i have to pay to the council for a council tax bill an ex flatmate of mine left me with.

oh's jsa again is 256 pcm, take off 100 for gas, electric and water is 156 then tv licence of 28 a month leaves 128 then contents incurance of 30 leave 98, then there are the credit card bills totaling 42 a month which leaves us with........

£56 a month for food.

we are left with nothing and live off of things like 10p noodles etc to make sure we eat.

now my oh has tried everywhere for work, yes even Mc d's, kfc, burger king etc

he is a painter and also a qualified computer technition, but every job he goes for doesnt even get past the application stage and its been like this for 3 months.

Now we would love to be off benefits, i personally would love a uk weekend away somewhere but there is no way in hell we could afford it on benefits.

I know people abuse the system and it madens me at times becuase i see them buying new trainers at like £60 when me and the oh have been walking around with holes in our £10 ones for the past 3 months because we cant afford to even by them.

i dont get how they afford the lifestyles they are leading if they are not working on the side.

sorry needed to let off some steam on the subject.

yes there are fraudsters out there but not all of us are them and in reality living on benefits is not an easy ride.

Just to say, I wouldn't want to tarnish anyone with the same brush!
Because I KNOW there are people on benefits, who genuinely need it.
It's just when you see the twits who take the mickey out of the country, because they can! xx

I worked for the council as an admin assistant when I was 17 as my first job, and during that time my mum kicked me out - wouldn't let me back in the house at all. I went to the council saying I needed somewhere to live and they told me I wasn't a priority because I wasn't on drugs or pregnant and I didn't have a criminal record. I couldn't believe it. I worked for them and I paid taxes yet they turned me away.
When we moved city recently, I got myself a good job as a receptionist with the NHS. It was only part time until I got promoted and I asked if I could get any part time help with income support or something and they told me that unless I was willing to QUIT my job and go on job seekers, then I wasn't committed enough to need the money.
It's a load of bullshit. I don't even see why I should pay taxes. I work hard but I still rejected for help when I most need it.

OH. And during my meeting with the council, to get a place to stay (even a b&b) - I broke down crying and they suggested that I get a sick note for depression and go on benefits. I wasn't depressed I was scared and alone. They tried to convince me to quit my job and be dishonest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->