Why do some of us want names that are not popular?

I guess you just don't want a million children with the same name?

I picked a name that's top-ranking for popularity though! Simply because I like it.

Names are popular for a reason. xx

It was a big deal to us because DH and I have the two most common names for the years we were born, and its def. annoying when you go out and hear a million people yelling that name, and you automatically look around like an idiot (or I at least feel like an idiot LOL).

Plus, it sucked being in class and having at least 1 or 2 people in your class with the same name... I started going by my last name just because it was easier and less confusing.

What do you think about my LO's name -Holly? It's not an unusual name. But I only knew two Holly's in my whole high school. I've not heard many Holly's around these days :flower:

Holly is good, it's perfect mixture of a known name that isn't trendy currently. I mean obviously you can't help what will be trendy later.

And it's a personal thing. Some people could not care less whether or not the name is over used or trendy at the moment.

I care because I knew so many Jessicas. My name was even after my great grandmother. And not because it was trendy. And it's not like I have anything against trendy names. Just my own personal feelings. Looking around fourth grade at the three other Jessica's in my class, no joke, and seeing the one lone Serena I was jealous. Though to be fair she might have been wishing her name wasn't so standout.

It's not that Ava or Sophia or Isabella aren't pretty names, they are all beautiful. Its just too me, they are boring because they are popular.

I'll be giving my kids total different names. And they'll probably HATE it! :)

Hubs and I plan to pick nice traditional middle names though. Then they could always go by that if they want.

I am not keen on super popular names. I guess I am suspicious of anything on a trend as it soon becomes old and tired. I think there is a difference from well known names and popular names. Edgar is well known, Aiden, Jayden, Caden Waden etc are popular. I like the idea of my child not be distinguished by their last name as when there are two or more in a class or social group it gets weird. It seems everything they do is determined to be the same or separate from the other person with the same name. eg, Person A "Michael is in the play",
Person B "oh really?, Is that Michael H or Michael T", "
"Michael T"
"Oh of course, Michael H doesn't seem the type as he is less creative that Michael T, good with science though"

They are known as the sporty Tracey or brainy Tracey, The cooler one, the less cooler one.

In saying this, our first child has a popular name but I didn't realise that at the time as I didn't move in mummy circles or read name lists. We just picked a name we loved and went with it. I don't regret it and so far at Kindy he is the only one but at Play centre there were three. I hate that the comparisons are ahead for him : (

I don't get what's the big deal either. My name is very common. When I was young, there was regularly a bunch of us of the same name in my classes. I'm not traumatized by it. I'm more traumatized by people who try so hard to have a unique name that they create something horrible or mess with the spelling so much that it's a pain for the little kid to even spell his own name. :nope:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->