Why do we always get mould/damp?

FEDup1981

Mam of two & two angels
Reaction score
Every house we live in we end up with mould in the bedrooms.
In the house we live in now we have mould in our bedroom, even tho we open the window every day, have vents on the window, and in the wall.

On lots of the windows in the house the sealing has turned black with mould.

We ventilate every room, every day. On a morning our bedroom window is covered in condensation.

What else can i do?

You have my sympathy, now its colder outside its come back! Have you tried a dehumidifier? We suffer in the colder months and it's a relatively new double glazed property, it's amazing the amount of moisture we put in the air, even from breathing! We have a dehumidifier, very cheap to run and makes a huge difference as does wiping down every day with a weak bleach solution or mould/meldrew remover.

That might be worth looking into, a dehumidifier. Its the last resort really. Just dont know what else we can do, we have the windows open most of the day, the vents open all the time. We clean it with bleacn n water, but once it gets into ur wallpaper its ruined.

Ill go and price a dehumidifier up now, thanks! x

I'm sure you can buy little sachets to hang in your wardrobe and around your home to prevent mildew (you usually get them to put in clothes bags to prevent the clothes from getting it) xx

we have it too and im sick of it, will be watching this thread xx

Our flat is the same aswell since it got cold. Weve just repainted the worst room with an additive in the paint to prevent mould, though the corners are still getting wet.
Mostly it can be prevented with ventilation, houses being built to hold in heat better means the ventilation isnt that great.
It could also be a structure problem, determining the type of damp will tell you how big of a problem it is...this site is scottish but has great videos and pictures to tell what the problem is and the best fix/prevention https://www.wisepropertycare.com/

How strange...we've started getting it this year. We've NEVER had it in our house before but Arcane girl, that makes so much sense!

We've had work done to the house, loft insulation, draft excluders, cavity wall insulation and even got the windows these things to keep the draft out.

Hmm...My plan is to get a dehumifier!

Thanks ladies :flower:

my flat was the same i just spayed with detol mould and mildew remover everytime i did the hoovering (it was round the bottom of skirting)
do you by anychance dry clothing on the radiators as this can cause mould/mildew/damp my mum gets it every year because no1 she pushes the furniture up against the walls so the walls cant breath so to speak and she drys washing on the radiators :-/

Defo get a dehumidifier. We had one in our old flat because of condensation and damp, and when we first had it, it was pulling a litre of water out of the air every 12 hours or so :wacko:

We've got a Delonghi DEM10, which was meant to be one of the better budget/household models when I bought it, but that was about three years ago. I think I paid about £60 for it.

Nightmare isn't it!

We have a couple of these things dotted about the house and it makes a difference. Cheap too :thumbup:

https://www.google.co.uk/products/c...a=X&ei=X4DLTui5HpCE8gPIwMzqDw&ved=0CGQQ8gIwAA

:thumbup: deffo a dehumidifier T - pricey but well well worth it, you'll be gobsmacked at what comes out each day :wacko:

Nightmare isn't it!

We have a couple of these things dotted about the house and it makes a difference. Cheap too :thumbup:

https://www.google.co.uk/products/c...a=X&ei=X4DLTui5HpCE8gPIwMzqDw&ved=0CGQQ8gIwAA

Well i looked at dehumidifiers and tbh cant afford £100 this side of xmas. I found these things on ebay, which draws in the water, and then u plug it in to dry it out, and then reuse it. Depending on ur house it can last 2months before it needs plugging in. This seller has sold nearly 200, others sellers ive noted have sold 300+, and got good feedback, so thought id give them a go for £18.
Ill let u know if they work!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370544826344?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

we're having the same problem. im always opening the windows slightly during the day, which is a nightmare as it seems pointless putting the heating on.

our bathroom and bedroom are the worst!

we ended up buying a dehumdifier. it's been a god send and can fill the container in a day on some days. we still get a bit of mold and condensation on the windows but we just set the timer on the dehumidifier and go off to work. it's no where near as bad as it used to be.

i think we're gunna have to look into sorting something out.
it's on the windows mainly. i hate looking at it!

Yeah we will prob get a dehumidifier next year, something thats going to last long term. I bet theyre really cheap come summer time too!!

i'm a bit of a dunce.
i rang OH about the mould issue and said we need to get some new blinds.
and he told me to check the vents are open on the windows.. .which they weren't!

hopefully that should help a bit :dohh:

we have never had it before but I have noticed a small patch on my ceiling this year, only small and we do get it around the windows x

Once it grabs hold, thats it, it spreads like wildfire. :growlmad:

WOOP! I asked on FB freebie site and someone is giving us a free dehumidifier, going to pick it up today!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->