Why does anyone care about 'stealing'/copying names?

What do people think of copying a friends child's name, who is 5 years old? I see this friend about once a month maybe less? And I think I would ask if she minded first xx

My DD's name is Nancy (fairly uncommon as its just outside the top 100 but not unusual I wouldn't say) and before I named her we didn't know any others which is one of the things that attracted me to the name. After I had her one of my coworkers named her baby Nancy as did a parent at work (nursery) I have to admit I was quite miffed and I do believe they copied the name from me, one even alluded to the fact that I inspired her to use it. Deep down I know its a bit irrational to take it to heart like that and I should feel flattered etc but you can't help how you feel, no other explanation for it really.

IMO if people dont like others 'stealing' their baby names, dont tell no one until your baby is born, that way you know they have just copied you! we have a name in mind for our LB but i havent told many people, more because i like to see it as a surprise and i also feel that people turn their nose up if they dont agree with it, least if you dont announce the baby name until after the baby is born you can say another person copied you rather than stole it from you

I dont care about other people copying my son was first in my eyes... and no one can steal really lol

in a similar way:
someone in the family just got engaged and by shear chance got the same engagement ring I had picked, there is no possible way they knew I picked it (and yes its pretty unusual) but its still upsetting that I now cant have the ring I picked out 4 years ago because ill be copying

That's awful Andypanda6570 I wouldn't forgive her either.

For me personally it wouldn't bother to much, my lo has quite unusual name, but it is important to me (she is named after my grandma who adores my daughter and was very honoured) I have met 2 other children with same name in nearby villages (her name is Josephine, we usually call her Josie) it doesn't bother me though as I know traditional names are becoming more popular.

I don't care if it's someone I hardly know, but a girl I went to school with who I have on Facebook & who we have about 200+ mutual friends named her little boy my dream name & I just won't call my little boy it because everyone will say 'oh that's so and so's little boy isn't it!' That'd get more annoying than anything else haha.
I have thought about it though because it's not like were going to stay in touch forever, but for now our little one is Leo! Xx

For me personally it wouldn't bother to much, my lo has quite unusual name, but it is important to me (she is named after my grandma who adores my daughter and was very honoured) I have met 2 other children with same name in nearby villages (her name is Josephine, we usually call her Josie) it doesn't bother me though as I know traditional names are becoming more popular.

My name is josie :flower:

My name is josie :flower:

well all the cool people are named Josie :thumbup: I love the name

I think there's a big difference between a name being popular and therefore classmates having same name etc, and a family member or close friend using your child's name.

I wouldn't be offended by a colleague or facebook friend (who I don't really see in real life) using the name Isobel. It's a popular name but even if it wasn't I wouldn't mind. If a close friend or my sil etc used the nane Isobel I'd find it odd and possibly be a bit upset. My cousin has just used Isobel as a middle name which I don't mind at all, especially as I know it's a family name on his wife's side so it's special to them.

I think naming after family members of a different generation is nice - after a grandparent or uncle etc - but it's odd if it's the same generation.

If I'd confided our chosen name to a friend during pregnancy and she then took it without speaking to me first I'd feel betrayed but if she spoke to me and said actually we've always loved that nane too, or it's my grandma's name etc I'd totally understand. Hubby's cousin had mentioned liking the name Isobel for herself when we were pregnant with our daughter (she wasn't pregnant or ttc at time), we were open with her and said we had that name on our shortlist and it was likely first choice but if it would upset her we'd choose another name. She was happy for us to use it, I would've felt guilty if we didn't ask though. She's since had a baby but a boy anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->