Why does he keep hitting me???

channy3232

Reaction score
Rocco is a good kid. He's not around other kids that much. The other day we were in line at a local festival waiting to ride a horse. He was in his stroller and I got him out. Well then he just wanted to run so I picked him up. He didn't want that so he swung his arms around and in the process hit me in the head. At that point it was accident. But then he did it again on purpose. Of course I gasped and told him no. Well then he did it again and giggled. At this point people were staring and I said "Rocco you've never done this before!" because they were all looking at me like "omg her kid is hitting her" That was only Saturday and he's been doing it since. I've tried telling him it's not nice. It hurts mommy etc. I've tried the naughty seat but we're struggling with that too. He only does it when I ask him to do something he doesn't want to do like going to bed or picking up his toys etc. I've tried telling him things he CAN hit like pillows or play doh or his drum. If you ask him what you don't hit he says "people" so he kind of "gets it" It wears me out and I just don't know what to do anymore. We're in the middle of trying to potty train and get rid of his dummy so it's been very trying for me. Any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated.

We've been there! Unfortunately, Alice is now moving on to hitting herself :( Anyway, aside from what you're already doing, one thing that seems to help us is naming her emotions. If I see her getting worked up because she can't do something I say "It seems like you're really cross and frustrated because you wanted to keep playing with your toys and I told you we had to put them away." I don't apologise, say 'but' or offer a solution (although I offer a hug) and it generally seems to calm her.

The only other thing is to try and prevent it happening, so giving lots of warning before doing something they won't like, or letting them know what will happen, so for example, before getting him out of the stroller let him know to stay close or you'll need to pick him up to keep him safe.

I hope it passes soon. And try not to worry about what people think. If they've had children, they'll have been there, and if they don't, then you're far more of an expert in child raising than they are!

My LO will hit either me or my partner if we pick him up when he usually doesnt want picking up. I was mortified the first time he done it in public, I just tell him not to hit, put him down, he will then cry because he doesnt like my tone of voice. I am sure they will just grow out of it, he hasnt done it in ages. x

im there! all there actually. hitting, potty training and dummy eliminating!
i did everything you did and he still hits when he gets jealous or overexcited. all we can do is keep telling them no and using the naughty chair.
mine hits his brother and animals as well. drives me batty. he knows not to but does it anyway?
hope someone can help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"