Why does my kitten do this??

~KACI~

Reaction score
Basicsally my 19week old kitty Jasper has this obsession with my dressing gown and wheneve i wear it he suckles it:wacko:

Now when i'm watching tele it doesn't bother me but when i'm trying to do something on the laptop it drives me potty as he steps on all the keys:dohh:

At the moment i don't wear it everyday but in winter i wear it all day/most days because my house is freezing!

Can anyone tell me why he does this??

And will he grow out of it or do i need to stop him doing it?

Try give him a nipple and see what happens! Only kidding!

At a guess you will have to remove him from you when he does it. Sorry I'm not much help.

My kittens suckle things too!

Usually I just move them to their scratch post to show them something else to play with and every time they try to suckle I just keep putting them on the scratch post so hopefully they'll get the hint and stop doing it! I'm getting fed up of soggy tshirts/dressing gowns/cushions!

Aparently the reason is a comfort thing..normally they'd knead their mums nipple and then suckle to get milk and purr really loud. Why do they think my clothes or cushions are nipples?! Silly kitties :)

How old was he when you got him? Sometimes it's a sign that they've been taken from mum too early, it can also be something they do to comfort themselves, like a child sucking its thumb.

My parents adult cats still do this at times with my mom on her shirt. I think it's definitely a comfort thing. :thumbup:

I have heard its because they have been taken from thier mothers too early....not sure though dont know much about cats x

He was 9 and a half weeks so not taken too early:) Obviously just comfort, at the moment i'm just putting him on the floor when it gets too annoying lol

Mystic does this all the time. I usually just take her off and put her on her scratch post, same as someone above did. DH usually just lets her continue :dohh: . A lot of the time she kneads me and DH while sucking on clothing or fingers; mind you it isnt all the time, sometimes she will just knead and purr loudly.

I read somewhere on-line that it is a sign of love and comfort because this is what they would do to their mother.

Aww yeah our kitten did that to some fluffy cushions we've got O:)
He still does it every now and then but EVERY night he comes to me when I'm in bed purring and sucks the quilt :dohh:

I also heard it's when they're taken to early, our boy was 10 or 11 weeks but our baby we got her at 7 weeks and she doesn't do it so who knows!? O:)

:flow: x x x x

Rory does this too, it drives me insane lol he comes up to my dressing gown and buries his head in and claws at me and sucks at it. Weirdo :haha: I just pick him up and put him on the floor tbh

Bop him on the nose if he keeps doing it and in a firm voice say no. He'll get the picture eventually.

Both of my cats did this (both were rescue cats and both lost their mothers early) with wool. They did eventually grow out of it though :) Have you tried giving him another toy/comfort item. One of my cats got really attached to this small stuffed bunny rabbit, he carried it around everywhere :rofl:

Yea he has a stuffed cat teddy, but still prefers my dressing gown :dohh: I just keep putting him on the floor. Hopefully he will just grow out of it :)

Was having a peek at a book one day and have the reason.....

They do it because they see you as their mother. Same goes for the kneeding thingy.

Just makes an annoying trait seem that much more sweet!

Some cats do that, usually because they're taken from their mother too early, but perhaps they just like it lol, like me sucking my thumb even though I'm 30!

I've got two cats that are mixed with Siamese and they suck at things made with wool-apparently it's very common among Siamese cats! But given the age of your kitten I would say he's just acting on baby tendencies....

Most kittens grow out of it by about the 6 months mark. It's definitely something they do for comfort. I find it quite endearing actually hehe.

My ragdoll came to me at 12 weeks old, he suckled my hair and bakes bread on my scalp at the same time @.@. He's a year old now and still does it, though not as often anymore. He only does it to me. I guess I'm his mommy to him :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->