Why the heck the pear puree turned..

suzan

Reaction score
to brown color?

I did 2 days ago 2 huge pears, I cooked them with little water, and filled 2 pots. Allowed them to cool and freezed them. When fed him to DS, they were white, like a pear.

But yesterday I cooked the other 2 pears I had for him, I cooked them the same way and put them in 2 pots, but while cooling they turned brown/gray? WHY? is this ok to give it to him, or maybe it isnt healthy? :hissy:

Sometimes if the pears I was doing for Poppy were very ripe I wouldn't cook them but just mash them up and put them in pots to freeze. They would go brown too once they'd frozen but I used to give them to her as they weren't off or anything, just very ripe.

Fruits like that will also turn brown if they set out cut too long. If you add a bit of lemon juice to them, or soak them in lemon water it shouldn't do it. That's why some jarred babyfood of like apples, pears and other fruits have the ascorbic acid in them..to prevent the browning

Just add a bit of lemon or lime juice to the cooking water or spinkle on the fruit before steaming etc to help prevent discolouration. There's nothing wrong with it, just the fruit oxidising

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->