Will a nurse tell you if they suspect twins during ultrasound?

orangedaisy

Reaction score
I can't get that ultrasound outta my head. It kinda looked like the example below (PIC IS NOT MINE, just using as example, they didn't give me a copy of my pics). The little sac next to the big one.

When I mentioned that it looks like one, the nurse (pretty sure it was a nurse) didn't confirm or deny and I didn't think to ask about the small spot while I was there. If she had thought maybe twins, would she have said anything?

From my googling - if it IS twins, it could go one of two ways - vanishing or just implanted later and isn't as far along as the other one. Either way would explain the smaller sac, if that's even what it was.

I'll definitely ask about it on Friday when I have my repeat ultrasound though...

https://twinpossible.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/twins1.jpg

Ultrasound technicians are not allowed to tell you anything here.

Ultrasound technicians are not allowed to tell you anything here.

Yeah here either, but this was a nurse I think. It was the same girl that did my pap and other stuff. It wasn't a doc/OB, that much I know.

I remember with my son, every time I got an ultrasound, they were pretty tight lipped until they confirmed with the doctor. My doctor always came in to confirm everything noted in the scans. Scared the crap out of me the first few times until I figured out that was their normal procedure. :rofl:

Ok that's what I was thinking. Who knows, maybe it's nothing. Just wish I'd asked while I was there lol. I'd call but probably wouldn't be able to explain what I saw, and would have to talk to a nurse, which again probably wouldn't say anything lol. Guess I'll wait and see Friday!

Here, in UK, you will get told at your scan whether you are carrying twins. But seems more likely at the 12 weeks scan, or an earlier scan if requested.

My ultrasound tech told me immediately it was twins. He exclaimed "WOW!!! TWINS!!!!" and got so excited. It was very cute.

I was 5w4d and both sacs and heartbeats were very clear on a transvaginal ultrasound.

Here they will tell you if it's twins, but not get into specifics if they see anything wrong.

it could be just a subchorionic hematoma which are pretty common.....which will normally just get absorbed

They have always told me everything they see they just make sure to leave that margin of error "it looks like ..." And stuff like that lol

it could be just a subchorionic hematoma which are pretty common.....which will normally just get absorbed

She did mention on of those - but when she pointed it out on the ultrasound it looked like something different, not the pitch black sac like spot next to the sac that obviously had baby in it. :shrug:

Here's an example of a SCH on an ultrasound, it can look quite similar.

Attachments

• subchorionic-hematoma-1c.jpg
    subchorionic-hematoma-1c.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 13
I heard sometimes they might not tell you if they suspect vanishing twins, as it is quite common early on. If she saw 2 most than likely healthy baby, she probably would have said something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"