Will he last until 17 weeks before I wean?!

pootle33

Mummy to two boys!
Reaction score
My LO is 14 weeks old tomorrow. He was 9lbs 11 when born and was 54cm (he was 64 cm when 8 weeks old and when weighed a week ago was 15lb 11 at 13 weeks!) I'm worried that he's getting close to wanting food as he's now taking 240 mls (8 oz) of formula every 3 hours during the day?! I'm going to hold off until at least 17 weeks as I've read this is the absolute earliest it should be done (even though ideally it should be 6 months but I had wanted to try baby led weaning - I'm assuming this is not possible as early as 17 weeks?!?!

I can't comment on bottles because I BF but from my own experiance from about 4 months to 6 months Archie did seem to be hungry all the time. I felt like I was constantly feeding him. He was 9lb 1 when born but he continued to put weight on. I really wouldn't consider putting Cailean on solids until 6 months unless health professionals recommends it! xx

Thanks Helen. The strange thing is I've come across so many babies at groups etc who are on solids before 6 months so I find it very confusing!

Yeah it is confusing and at the end of the day you have to do what you feel is best for your baby!

My HV is really supportive and explained that the World Heath Organisation recommends babies aren't weaned until 6 months. I totally trust my HV and could see that Archie was perfectly happy just having milk, he was gaining weight steadily and was happy. Don't get me wrong I felt like I was feeding him constantly to keep him satisfied but I didn't mind as I knew I was doing what was recommended.

If your baby is gaining weight I can't see any reason why you need to wean early you might just have to prepare a few more bottles.

xx

Think its quite normal for them to feed a lot at that age. Just because he's a big boy and needs his milk, doesn't mean his tummy is ready for solids just yet :hugs:

Izzy started to wean just after 4 months, she was on breakfast and lunch by around 5.5 months, and it was around the 5.5 months when she started to settle down and the food filled her up a bit better (until then she wasn't really eating much to make a difference as I slowly increased her food intake)

If you do end up weaning him earlier than 6 months, don't worry... you will find plenty of support on here, there are lots of ladies who have weaned before 6 months!

Thanks everyone - he is putting on weight - around half a pound a week based on the weigh ins we've had. He doesnt appear particularly interested in our food either. I will post on FF forum as well as just a bit concerned taking 240 ml bottles and sometimes now seems to struggle to wait 3 hours between bottles during the day!!

My LO was quite a lot smaller than that at 14 weeks and he had been on 8oz bottles for quite a while and we never went longer than 3 hours. I can't remember when we upped it to 9oz but I think it was before 17 weeks! Weaning (at just after 5 months) actually didn't make any difference to his milk intake - it is only recently that he has started reducing his intake and going longer and I think that is because he is now on follow-on milk as well.
My understanding of BLW is that you ideally want to be waiting till 6 months or it isn't terribly effective as you are relying on your baby having the motivation, understanding and motor skills to put food in his mouth. It is only in the last week or so that my LO has started actively trying to feed himself or accepting finger food and he is 6 1/2 months.

alfie was 10lb 4oz at birth and gained weight steadily i ff him till 6months and he was happy with this he took 8oz every 3 hours.
im doing baby led weaning now and he loves it
most babies are perfectly happy with milk
x

i really feel for you. Finley was 8 12 born and is now wel over 16lb. he is now waking every 2 hours at night so its killing me (i bf) i tried him with a spoon today and he opened his mouth for it (he wont take a bottle very well so i tried milkand spoon!) he has lost the tongue thrust reflex and i'll prob be weaning him in a few weeks when he is 4 months.

Have you tried changing to a hungry baby milk? I believe they are meant to be a but 'thicker' therefore fill baby up for longer?? This may help delay weaning a bit longer xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->