Will i be allowed a home birth?

Raven24

mum
Reaction score
the hospital where i had william has recently become a midwife led unit and i was going to give birth there this time but i have been told i cant now because my bmi is a little too high:nope:

so i am now thinking about a home birth as my birth with william was problem free an i had just gas and air and only a small tear and no stitches so i would imagine id be an ideal candidate for a home birth but is my bmi going to cause a problem?

No-one can disallow your homebirth. They can only advise. My advice would be to tell them you intend to give birth at home and b armed with the facts. There are a few ladies in the homebirth and hopefuls group thread who have high BMIs who might be able to advise and you can read their experiences. Best of luck.

www.homebirth.org.uk

I have attended several homebirths with woman with high bmi's with no problems at all here in Canada. Usually the problems associated with elevated bmi's occur during the pregnancy (eg gestational diabetes, hypertension, fetal growth abnormalities) and therefore if there were any problems that would compromise the safety of giving birth at home they would have been discovered before the actual birth.

BMI itself is not a contraindication...

^WSS. It is only a problem if you develop certain complications that you would be at a "higher risk" for with a higher BMI but the chances of you devloping those are lower than not developing them(not all, but most).

I'm not sure how homebirths with the NHS as I'm not from there but in case they can refuse it, would you consirder an independent midwife?

They cant refuse you a homebirth if you want it. Im planning on having one against my consultants wishes because her only argument is because of my weight. The only issue if had so far is spd but iv been told id have still gotten it if i was skinny. If you want any more questions answering feel free to PM me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->